Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 NCAA Hoops Thread

UCLA's a fun team to watch. TJ Leaf and Lonzo Ball are good.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Yes they are. Ball will need some NBA help with that weird stroke but he has a tremendous career ahead of him.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    TJ Leaf is such a great college player. Seems kind of a tweener in the NBA, but i think he's good enough he'll figure it out. UCLA is stacked.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Grayson Allen needs to sit out for a while.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Grayson Allen needs to sit out for a while.
    Just watched the latest clip. In slow motion it looks bad, but who knows? Crazy unintentional stuff can happen when you're flying into the bench like that. The FSU assistant who got pushed over apparently doesn't feel like it was on purpose. The problem is Allen has had enough despicable behavior on the court that he will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt again. Anything that looks even slightly off will be viewed as intentional.

Ugh, another terrible article from SL media about local teams and their NCAA chances. Nothing surprising or terribly off about what it says about BYU, but it has this nice, heavily biased gem in its section about Utah:

The good news is that Utah doesn't have any bad losses that will hold it back come March. So, all it needs is a couple of signature wins to put it in the field of 68, and it will get two chances this week against USC and UCLA at home.

Yeah, USF at #160 in the rpi isn't a bad loss? Bwhahaha. I'd be curious to know if the author would also not think it's a bad loss if BYU were to lose to USF.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...es.html?pg=all
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.

What a bummer for Creighton's PG Watson. That guy is a stud and had/has a really bright future. Their coach is saying he is going with a point guard by committee. I'm hoping they can come up with a good rotation to make up for the loss. They have been a fun team to watch this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    What a bummer for Creighton's PG Watson. That guy is a stud and had/has a really bright future. Their coach is saying he is going with a point guard by committee. I'm hoping they can come up with a good rotation to make up for the loss. They have been a fun team to watch this year.
    They have an incredibly talented team and that is a huge loss - but more for the individual than the team. He was having a great season, such a shame for him. I think Creighton's overall talent takes them to the Dance where they have a great chance to make some noise. Patton is a legit 1st round NBA prospect and Foster and Huff can be dangerous. So impressed by what McDermott has been able to do since that team starring his son.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Anybody watch Duke vs NC State tonight? Great game. Tuned in with 6 minutes left and NCS was down by 9 pts. Kept fighting and ended up winning for the first time since 1995? at Duke. Last few minutes were nuts.

Bonus: Fun to see the Tripper and Traitor Jackson lose.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Anybody watch Duke vs NC State tonight? Great game. Tuned in with 6 minutes left and NCS was down by 9 pts. Kept fighting and ended up winning for the first time since 1995? at Duke. Last few minutes were nuts.

This is in the BYU basketball thread because...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I saw it. That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    This is in the BYU basketball thread because...
    To annoy donuthole!

(whoops. fixed)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

To annoy donuthole!

(whoops. fixed)
    If annoying D-hole is the goal, let the good times roll.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

i recorded it to check out Dennis Smith Jr, but haven't watched it yet. i'm excited to watch it.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i recorded it to check out Dennis Smith Jr, but haven't watched it yet. i'm excited to watch it.
    He lives up to the hype.

However Jackson does a good job guarding him. When Frank goes to the bench without about 4:30 minutes left, Smith goes off.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    He lives up to the hype.

However Jackson does a good job guarding him. When Frank goes to the bench without about 4:30 minutes left, Smith goes off.
    Frank has been a pleasant surprise defensively. he always had the ability, but I wondered how he'd do at that level.

As far as DSjr, I watched him a couple times early in the year and he struggled - I wasn't that impressed. But the more I watch, the more it's clear he is the truth. it would be nice if he were a little taller, but he's explosive, strong, can shoot (though has room for improvement) and can really make plays for teammates - great passer/playmaker.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

He lives up to the hype.
    you guys weren't kidding. That was a scintillating last 5 five minutes from Dennis Smith. Amazing. Once FJ went to the bench, he scored or assisted on just about every bucket for NC State. He threw a pass to Abu for a dunk with about 3 and a half minutes to play that you just don't see college players make.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 01-24-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

This morning driving to work I found it a little amusing when I switched to the college sports channel on my satellite radio that the hosts were talking about Duke and how they were not living up to pre-season expectations. They're still a good team, but they were supposed to be a lot better based on the idea that their freshman class was going to instantly be all-world, and that just hasn't happened. It was interesting to think of that vs. what some of us expected from BYU. The difference is Duke still has several key players who are also experienced.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    This morning driving to work I found it a little amusing when I switched to the college sports channel on my satellite radio that the hosts were talking about Duke and how they were not living up to pre-season expectations. They're still a good team, but they were supposed to be a lot better based on the idea that their freshman class was going to instantly be all-world, and that just hasn't happened. It was interesting to think of that vs. what some of us expected from BYU. The difference is Duke still has several key players who are also experienced.
    And Duke will be in the Tourney with a high seed and will likely develop through February and March, playing deep into the tournament. Slight difference.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    And Duke will be in the Tourney with a high seed and will likely develop through February and March, playing deep into the tournament. Slight difference.
    Still the same idea of not living up to the hype. When you're the heavy favorite to win the national championship in November and no one can come up with another team that should even be in the same class, then they go into the tourney as a five or six seed instead, it's essentially the same thing as expecting a team to go in with a mid-bracket seed and not make it. The point is, even five star HS players aren't guaranteed to live up to the hype. By the way, it wasn't that many years ago that Duke was a 3 seed and lost in the first round with Jabari Parker. They can fail to live up to expectations sometimes. It's not a guarantee they'll suddenly play massively better and end up with that 1 seed everyone expected 3 months ago.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Tatum has been pretty good, but Giles just hasn't been the same since his injury. Bolden and Jackson clearly have extraordinary talent, but have had their struggles as freshmen.

Compare with UK - Fox and Monk have both exceeded expectations, while Adebayo and Gabriel have met expectations. and even at that, they are sitting with 3 losses already. when you rely heavily on freshmen, you will have ups and downs, almost regardless of how talented they are.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Not to jinx it, but Northwestern is looking pretty good this year.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    funny you posted that after they just got taken to the woodshed by an unranked (but still very formidable) Purdue team. but yeah, sitting at 18-5, they've done really well.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I want to jinx it. I like the idea of a power conference team never having qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    funny you posted that after they just got taken to the woodshed by an unranked (but still very formidable) Purdue team. but yeah, sitting at 18-5, they've done really well.
    Yeah, not their best showing by any means (perhaps their worst game of the year). Maybe that #25 ranking was too heavy a burden to bear.

I want to jinx it. I like the idea of a power conference team never having qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Crazy comeback by UCLA against Oregon tonight.

Anyone watching UVA Duke game? Is Coach K ill? He looks horrible.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Anyone watching UVA Duke game? Is Coach K ill? He looks horrible.
    Recording it. Will watch later. Yeah, he is looking old these days.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Didn't see this till today, but the university of utah managed to lose to the Oregon State Beavers over the weekend. Now the Beavers have 1 conference win this year. Thanks utes!

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Didn't see this till today, but the university of utah managed to lose to the Oregon State Beavers over the weekend. Now the Beavers have 1 conference win this year. Thanks utes!

Stevie Thompson Jr. dreams about playing the Utes. He has his two career high point games against us, and has beaten us on last second shots in 2 out of the last 3 games.