Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    This is a kind of scary headline from the Washington Times:

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

I have no doubt and EMP would be catastrophic, but 90% mortality seems far fetched. I don't have any meaningful knowledge of how it would work, but if it burned up the computers in farm machinery, we would definitely be hard-pressed to feed everyone. Popular Mechanics published this article in March, so there is some disagreement among experts.

No, North Korea Can't Kill 90 Percent of Americans
    Pyongyang isn't going to knock out the electrical grid and cause riots at the supermarket.
    I read that arrticle the other day and thought it was full of crap. There is no way NK has the ability to push an EMP across the US. That said, any nuclear explosion would have catastrophic consequences but not with a 90% mortality rate.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Nebraskans just get it, amiright?

Edit: my primary votes in the last three elections were Romney, Romney, Kasich. Those guys and Sasse are my kind of conservatives. I think the country will be fine after Trump but I will never forgive him for dynamiting the true conservative movement and making us all homeless when it comes to a political party.
      Even though I’m painted as the resident Maoist on this board I’ve said I’d vote for someone like Kasich or McCain before I’d vote for Hillary. On a national level those guys are getting sidelined by their base,.

But speaking of Nebraska I like how they dole out their electoral votes. It’s good for the state too, and it gets them attention from presidential candidates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Drumpf has the right to say anything he wants...

Of course he does. Not the point though. He doesn't get immunity from criticism or even ridicule for saying something stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yep. Among others.
          Phew, I thought you literally meant “blow stuff up” which would be my real concern. Trump is dumb and so are his followers that applaud his use of EOs when they hated Obama using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This is great. Especially in light of this:.....

And LOL @ you if you think accountants are investment experts.
            Thanks for proving my point. I didn't call accountants experts, but they certainly have more finance training than engineers and attorneys. Moliere, particularly, has an MBA and works for a company that cares about its valuation, so he understands (much better than the reporters you cited) that market valuations are based on expectations.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Just the kind of dismissive response that typically sets you off.
            OG's body of work suggests he had no intention of listening to '71 and was just looking for an opportunity for a hit and run without any type of thoughtful discourse. He deservedly got a taste of his own medicine.

I went back and searched the last few pages. I did not respond a single time to BYU71. Old_gregg asked byu71 one simple question and got this response:
            So, if you didn't respond to '71, you weren't involved in the discussion about Trump's impact on the market?

So you are only talking about the election day jump? Seriously?
            Markets have been on a great run since 2012. And a linear trend since Feb 2016.
            The table in this article is interesting.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oba...uly-2017-08-01

Best president in the modern era for stock market gains? Obama.
            Worst president? GWB.

I hope Trump ends up topping that. In spite of his imbecility and anti-market tendencies.
            Huh. I guess I was wrong and you weren't taking part in the discussion. My bad, carry on.
            Last edited by cowboy; 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              Also, and I am not happy about this, according to FANews CPA's are the most trusted financial advisors. Investment advisors come in fourth.
              Makes sense. CPAs are pretty awesome.

Yikes.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                Also, and I am not happy about this, according to FANews CPA's are the most trusted financial advisors. Investment advisors come in fourth.
                Wait. So where did engineers and attorneys come in?

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Huh. I guess I was wrong and you weren't taking part in the discussion. My bad, carry on.
                  Haha. You seriously would characterize those four posts as an argument?

Let's see, two posts contained links to articles correlating markets to elections.
                  One post was a simple statement on market trends.
                  One post was asking for a clarification from Moliere.

Wow, LOL @ me for being dumb enough to think I can make posts like that when an accountant is involved in the discussion!

You are trying way too hard, amigo.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Phew, I thought you literally meant “blow stuff up” which would be my real concern. Trump is dumb and so are his followers that applaud his use of EOs when they hated Obama using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's see, two posts contained links to articles correlating markets to elections.

Wow, LOL @ me for being dumb enough to think I can make posts like that when an accountant is involved in the discussion!

So BYU71 starts a discussion (that, admittedly, Moliere joins in and you respond to him not '71), but you don't think your 4 comments - in which you take a position and provide evidence that you think supports your position - are making an argument or participating in the discussion?

Talk about trying too hard...

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        So BYU71 starts a discussion (that, admittedly, Moliere joins in and you respond to him not '71), but you don't think your 4 comments - in which you take a position and provide evidence that you think supports your position - are making an argument or participating in the discussion?

Talk about trying too hard...

Eddie, help me understand the point you and cowboy are making. I should feel dumb that I expressed an opinion that Trump isn’t solely responsible for the market surge because moliere is an accountant? Help me out.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Eddie, help me understand the point you and cowboy are making. I should feel dumb that I expressed an opinion that Trump isn’t solely responsible for the market surge because moliere is an accountant? Help me out.
                          No. The point was you said you hadn't even joined in the conversation and hadn't made any arguments when obviously you had.

Being an engineer doesn't mean you can't have an opinion or link whatever articles you may have that prove your point. That's all good. And I think his comment about accountants and investment managers versus engineers and attorneys might have been a funny comeback, but relatively meaningless (without each party providing support for their argument.)

No - this is entirely about your assertion that you didn't participate in the discussion and hadn't made an argument, when clearly you had.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            No. The point was you said you hadn't even joined in the conversation and hadn't made any arguments when obviously you had.

Being an engineer doesn't mean you can't have an opinion or link whatever articles you may have that prove your point. That's all good. And I think his comment about accountants and investment managers versus engineers and attorneys might have been a funny comeback, but relatively meaningless (without each party providing support for their argument.)

No - this is entirely about your assertion that you didn't participate in the discussion and hadn't made an argument, when clearly you had.
                            But since neither of you are CPAs, you can't really be trusted.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              But since neither of you are CPAs, you can't really be trusted.
                              Hey! I'm a social worker. I'm clearly qualified to identify when an argument is going on.

Though I can't comment on the Trump effect on the economy. That is for CPA's, Investors, Engineers, and Attorneys.

Comment

I'm trying too hard? Hah! I'm not the one who did a google search for articles to prove Trump didn't have an effect on the markets. Here's the order of the discussion:

'71 says the market is better than it would be under Hillary > Old Gregg asks what a president has to do with the market > Moliere says Trump affected bank stocks > you google a couple articles saying Trump isn't responsible for the market, but then go on to point out that Clinton and Obama were good for the market based on a reporter's simple correlation study.

In your classic MO, you then say you aren't arguing with '71 because you never responded to him, go on to counter a point I wasn't making by saying accountants aren't market experts, and finally wind up saying you're not arguing (I guess because your discussion isn't adversarial?) by pointing to some correlations. Hey, whatever. You're right because, you know, you say you are. I'm not trying hard at all, though - you're making it pretty easy. You're still on my Christmas card list.
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X