Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    In my experience, most Trump fans now just say "Well, he is better than Hillary would have been" and then quickly change the subject. Because that is the only logical refuge left.
    I'm going with, "I liked Melania's shoes".

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      In my experience, most Trump fans now just say "Well, he is better than Hillary would have been" and then quickly change the subject. Because that is the only logical refuge left.
      I'm also going to guess that much of Trumps "base" are also reality TV show addicts who didn't pay much attention to politics before this, so it's hard for them not to think this is normal as long they're being entertained.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        If the FBI got the security tapes from their own recordings, fine. The principle, to me, is the same thing with photo tickets. The end result of the government asking a private entity to give it private information is not the same. The govt is asking a private entity to violate someone's right, without obtaining permission beforehand, thereby using private entities for govt purposes. It's not the same thing. We're talking 4th and 9th Amendments here. The rights not spelled out in the Constitution does not mean that they are possessed by the State. Ergo, the right to privacy, judicially affirmed, should hold here. If the government wants to know the IP addresses of individuals who visited that website, let them show due cause to a judge, get a warrant, and subpoena the records. But 1.3 million records of anyone who visited the site? 9th Amendment!

Especially when we see how just unrighteous this government is, and what a complete piece of shit Jeff Sessions is, I have a huge problem with the government with Trump as XO asking for private info about people who protested his inauguration. The way to destroy an opposition is to find the leaders and neutralize them. This facilitates that. From the many videos I watched, the most violent people that day seemed to be the DC and Capitol Police.
        I haven't had time to return to this as I intended, so I will take it now. I wasn't trying to troll Saturday, but it came off that way, and I apologize. I was trying to make the point that wuap made and I bolded above. The only reason the government, or any organization would collect information on protesters is to intimidate them and neutralize them by either looking for a crime they committed inadvertently, a point wuap made later, or leaking embarrassing information about them. It has a KGB feel to it that makes everyone uncomfortable.

My concern, and the point I was driving for but didn't finish, is that this strategy has become more mainstream outside of a government context. Politicians and those running for office have long been targets, and their personal life has been used against them for as long as I can remember. Everyone who was old enough to watch the news remembers Gary Hart's infamous tryst on the aptly named 'Monkey Business'. Now, however, targets have extended to political supporters and not just politicians, which I think is troubling.

Recently, the New York Times smugly reported on Trevor Noah and Roy Wood Jr. 'outing' the black supporter in the background at a Trump rally. I don't think that's ok. There's nothing illegal about digging up dirt on someone, but it goes against our country's ethos of democracy without intimidation. A more egregious example is the Mozilla CEO who was fired for supporting Prop 8. You may argue that a CEO shouldn't be political, but I think most reasonable people accept that he wasn't fired for being political, he was fired for being on the wrong side of politically correct. These actions send the message that anyone who publicly supports a candidate or ballot measure will be subject to having their personal life rummaged through, and will suffer personal consequences for participating in the political process. Sure, nobody's threatening to put anyone in jail, but the end result of discouraging people from supporting what they believe in is still accomplished.

Now back to the point I was trying to make: If we shouldn't accept a government requesting data about protesters for the purpose of intimidating them, as I think we shouldn't, we shouldn't accept anybody gathering information on a candidate's or cause's supporters for the intention of embarrassing, intimidating or exacting some sort of negative consequence.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          I haven't had time to return to this as I intended, so I will take it now. I wasn't trying to troll Saturday, but it came off that way, and I apologize. I was trying to make the point that wuap made and I bolded above. The only reason the government, or any organization would collect information on protesters is to intimidate them and neutralize them by either looking for a crime they committed inadvertently, a point wuap made later, or leaking embarrassing information about them. It has a KGB feel to it that makes everyone uncomfortable.

My concern, and the point I was driving for but didn't finish, is that this strategy has become more mainstream outside of a government context. Politicians and those running for office have long been targets, and their personal life has been used against them for as long as I can remember. Everyone who was old enough to watch the news remembers Gary Hart's infamous tryst on the aptly named 'Monkey Business'. Now, however, targets have extended to political supporters and not just politicians, which I think is troubling.

Recently, the New York Times smugly reported on Trevor Noah and Roy Wood Jr. 'outing' the black supporter in the background at a Trump rally. I don't think that's ok. There's nothing illegal about digging up dirt on someone, but it goes against our country's ethos of democracy without intimidation. A more egregious example is the Mozilla CEO who was fired for supporting Prop 8. You may argue that a CEO shouldn't be political, but I think most reasonable people accept that he wasn't fired for being political, he was fired for being on the wrong side of politically correct. These actions send the message that anyone who publicly supports a candidate or ballot measure will be subject to having their personal life rummaged through, and will suffer personal consequences for participating in the political process. Sure, nobody's threatening to put anyone in jail, but the end result of discouraging people from supporting what they believe in is still accomplished.

Now back to the point I was trying to make: If we shouldn't accept a government requesting data about protesters for the purpose of intimidating them, as I think we shouldn't, we shouldn't accept anybody gathering information on a candidate's or cause's supporters for the intention of embarrassing, intimidating or exacting some sort of negative consequence.
          I have no problem with outing people. We don't need safe spaces for any type of public figure (this of course excludes family/children etc. They aren't the public figures). Transparency is much more important that safe spaces. I like campaign finance laws where political donations are public. I hate the PACs where they are not. They need to get rid of the limit on donations to politician and make PACs transparent. If they did that, PACs would likely have much less influence.

I also think the outing of the "Blacks for Trump" guy and the firing of the Mozilla CEO are 2 very different situations.

One difference is that the "Blacks for Trump" guy was looking for publicity. While CEO's have a public facing responsibility, he wasn't seeking the attention the "Blacks for Trump" guy was.

I also think it's fine for people to bring up that the CEO donated to a political cause, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that he was fired for it. I will not be supporting the Mozilla foundation in any meaningful way anytime soon because of this.

Comment

• Trump has pledged $1 million dollars of the money he got from the Russians to Harvey relief.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So Trump ended DACA under the guise that, without a hint of irony, Obama was over-reaching in his executive power. So if you're on the Trump Train still please do us a favor and just admit that this guy is a giant evil piece of shit. Stop the whatabouts and the butObamas. Just gaze at that lumpy, peanutty lump of shit in the Oval Office and call a spade a spade.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                So Trump ended DACA under the guise that, without a hint of irony, Obama was over-reaching in his executive power. So if you're on the Trump Train still please do us a favor and just admit that this guy is a giant evil piece of shit. Stop the whatabouts and the butObamas. Just gaze at that lumpy, peanutty lump of shit in the Oval Office and call a spade a spade.

I love you, commando.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So Trump ended DACA under the guise that, without a hint of irony, Obama was over-reaching in his executive power. So if you're on the Trump Train still please do us a favor and just admit that this guy is a giant evil piece of shit. Stop the whatabouts and the butObamas. Just gaze at that lumpy, peanutty lump of shit in the Oval Office and call a spade a spade.
                  Yeah, Drumpf and all you white pieces of sh*t immigrates need to get the hell out of our country:

A taco truck on every corner? Hell ya.

What are you waiting for? Get packing.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

They will just blame the monolithic media of picking on Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Yeah, Drumpf and all you white pieces of sh*t immigrates need to get the hell out of our country:

A taco truck on every corner? Hell ya.

What are you waiting for? Get packing.
                      What's your point Ted? That Latinos are trying to take over the country and kick Whites out? Do you think DACA should have been stopped? Either your trolling skills have atrophied or you are sailing into altright territory.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        What's your point Ted? That Latinos are trying to take over the country and kick Whites out? Do you think DACA should have been stopped? Either your trolling skills have atrophied or you are sailing into altright territory.
                        No, you whites need to recognize you have been bullies throughout history and, therefore, need to give back all the land you took from us the native americans. We'll let you keep, say, New Jersey. I thought it was pretty obvious from the video.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• uncle ted the lamanites were punished for a reason
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            uncle ted the lamanites were punished for a reason
                            That video could be it.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              That video could be it.
                              But one of the latinas is fairly attractive, so.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I have to agree with Frank, Commando, and others here about Drumpf... The guy is not to be trusted. Now he is siding with the democrats on increasing our debt ceiling. We are all doomed! He might as well and come out of the closet about how he is really a democrat. Maybe he will fire Pence and make Hillary his VP.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X