Page 215 of 272 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,450 of 8147

Thread: President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    It is not only out of the norm but it reveals him as a would be DESPOT!
    I find myself asking how big of a despot is the dude in France. Because apparently Trump wants to be a bigger one than him.

Default President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    It is not only out of the norm but it reveals him as a would be DESPOT!
    True fact. I learned what a despot is by playing Sid Meier’s Civilization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Moliere; 02-07-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

If there were no restraints on him, Trump would be a despot. It’s in his DNA. He’s not bound be any kind of moral code or reverence for democracy or liberty.

Don’t just look at the parade, but all of his behaviors. The guy will wield any power he can.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’ll admit that an annual military parade seems really weird and out of line with a democratic nation. But then again, I think 90% of what trump does and says is out of line

Trump being out of the norm is what makes him annoying to normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    True fact. I learned what a despot is by playing Sid Meier’s Civilization.

great game, possibly the best ever invented.

yikes!

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I've decided who I am voting for next month in the Texas primary. This guy is running as a republican against Ted Cruz. Says he's raised $600,000, which seems like a lot for a senate primary challenger. What he says about Trump:

"I support the president's efforts to improve our failing healthcare system, which Obamacare did not fix. I support streamlining the regulatory bureaucracy so it is more effective and navigable for our economic engines. I support rolling back bad regulations in the oil and gas and financial sectors. I will support those approaches regardless of who is in the Oval Office.

I do differ from the President when it comes to trade, immigration, marijuana, and refugees. I believe Texas’ best interests are in direct opposition with Trump’s agenda on those issues, and I’m on the side of Texas. We have to be leaders on productive trade agreements. We have to solve our documentation problems on behalf of Texas’ businesses. And we have to open our arms to people in need.

But there's more to say about the President than his policy.

For over a decade, our legislators have been incapable of ensuring a functioning government in Washington. They have proven utterly inept at negotiating enduring solutions, productive outcomes or even finding common ground with their fellow lawmakers. They have been focused instead solely on raising funds for re-election and their PACs. Our politics polarized into a perfect storm: a dominant Trump-style of President that exploits our dysfunctional government to populist and nativist ends.

I believe Trump is getting away with immense corruption and egregious nepotism in the halls of the federal government. Perhaps more alarming than our current administration's click-baiting of the media and sheer disregard for the institutions that preserve our Republic and make America great is that Congress lets him get away with it.

At the time we need them most, our lawmakers have abdicated their responsibility to act as a co-equal branch of government and a check on this Executive’s deliberate amateurism. Republican career politicians like the Senator from Texas have either failed in their Constitutional duties despite their best efforts, or they are unwilling to carry out their constitutional responsibilities out of political convenience. Either way, that's grounds for dismissal.

There is only one useful question to ask about President Trump: How we can ensure someone like him will never again disfigure our representative government?"

Trade:
    The populist calls to redefine our trade relationship with Mexico under NAFTA overlooks the role international trade plays in the Texas economy.

Our state benefits from $38 Billion in trade each year under NAFTA, and from the immense investment along our border communities in places like El Paso, McAllen, Laredo, and Brownsville. Texas' economy also is buoyed by the millions of dollars recirculated in our state by international trade. NAFTA is paramount for the oil and gas industries, for the Port in Houston and Corpus. It is fundamental for Texas' agricultural industries as well: NAFTA allows our ranchers and farmers to access a larger market.

In the U.S. Senate I will fight to secure the support necessary to expand and modernize Texas' benefits through NAFTA. In light of the recent energy sector downturn, international trade will continue to be a major boon by diversifying the state's economy.

Immigration:
    "What we need to truly reform the illegal immigration problem in our country is to make the legal process preferable to paying a cartel or coyote to cross into this nation.

I believe we can be competitive with our visa and immigration application pricing to encourage the legal route and make the process simpler and more efficient. That would include instituting biometric entry/exit security systems to ensure we're welcoming productive immigrants without a criminal past.

Given the opportunity for millions of people to come out of the shadows, I believe undocumented immigrants would choose to pay back taxes on any received benefits (public education, law enforcement, etc), go through the immigration process retroactively with support from their American employers, and start openly contributing to the country that offers so much in return.

I am not in favor of blanket amnesty granting full rights of citizenship to people who broke our law. That said, I believe we can act with compassion to fix the immigration system's failures to encourage people to follow the rule of law, keeping families together, and avoiding a major labor setback to Texas' agriculture, construction, and energy sectors."

https://voterguide.dallasnews.com/20...=candidate-143

Geez, a republican running for office in 2018 who talks like a reasonable person on these issues? Will he beat Cruz? probably not, but I'll feel good about my vote.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-07-2018 at 11:18 AM.

The picture alone would be enough to annoy Trump.

https://www.stefanofortexas.com/meet-stefano/

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    yikes!

Surprised that didn't reveal Voldemort.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

One of the enjoyable parts of Fire and Fury is Ivanka's description of how her dad assembles his hair, using the two patches of growth on each side to build the swirling mess on top and in back, all glued together with copious amounts of spray (but apparently not always enough). I recall from more than two decades ago that Ivana (wife no.1) allegedly filed a complaint against Drumpf for physical abuse which he inflicted on her following a botched hair transplant procedure by a doctor she had recommended. She later withdrew the complaint. I have a hunch she got more for her silence than did Stormy Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Stuck at O'Hare which means I'm forced to listen to the news while I wait. Partisan memos that are supposed to prove something, parsing text messages between two fbi agents that were boning while investigating Trump aids; both sides are nuts. I can't believe some of you can stand paying attention to the details of all this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I can't believe some of you can stand paying attention to the details of all this nonsense.
    Super mean post. franK is going to be mad.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

So this Rob Porter guy served a mission to London, is a son of a HBS professor and worked for both Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Hope Hicks seems to have a type.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    So this Rob Porter guy served a mission to London, is a son of a HBS professor and worked for both Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee.
    His dad started as a White House Fellow and stayed on in various capacities at the WH after his fellowship. I remember him being featured in a Time magazine essay by Hugh Sidey in '75 that got a lot of play in LDS and BYU circles. Too bad his son damaged the family brand.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Hope Hicks seems to have a type.
    lol
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    This isn't him. It's FAKE news

All Rob Porter discussions should take place in the Mormons in the News thread.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

None of this should surprise. The talent pool from which Trump can get people to serve in his White House is very shallow and very murky.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    None of this should surprise. The talent pool from which Trump can get people to serve in his White House is very shallow and very murky.
    Hey, he came highly recommended by soarin' Orrin.

Rand Paul shutting down the government...

Calling out both parties on the floor.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Just wanted to mention that Rand Paul's hair bugs me nearly as much as Drumpf's.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Just wanted to mention that Rand Paul's hair bugs me nearly as much as Drumpf's.
    Yes! I was just watching him and said, “Has his hair always been that bad?!”

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Yes! I was just watching him and said, “Has his hair always been that bad?!”

He looks like an MFing poodle head.

Omarosa: I wouldn't vote for Trump again "in a million years, never"

Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former reality show star who went to work in the White House and then went back to reality television after being fired, said on "Celebrity Big Brother" on Thursday that she wouldn't vote for President Trump again "in a million years, never." Newman said she found it hard to separate her long-time loyalty for Mr. Trump when she worked in the White House.

"If we become friends, you'll see how loyal I am, like maybe to a fault," Newman said. Alluding to Mr. Trump, she added "it's just been so incredibly hard to shoulder what I shouldered for those two years because I was so loyal to a person. And I didn't realize that by being loyal to him, it was going mean I was going to lose 100 other friends." ...

Newman said working in the White House was "100 percent" worse than being on a reality show because "this wasn't a game show."

"I made choices, I just have to live with them," she said tearfully.

Newman said chose to work at the White House because she saw it as a "call of duty."

"I felt like I was serving my country, not serving him," Newman said. "I was haunted by tweets every single day, like what is he going to do?"

She said she tried to be "that person" who spoke with Mr. Trump, but "it was like, keep her away." She said she doesn't know who is advising the president.

"It's not my circus, not my monkeys – I'd like to say not my problem, but it's bad," Newman said. She said it's "not going to be okay ... it's so bad." When asked if she would vote for Mr. Trump again, Newman said "god no. Never. Not in a million years, never."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omarosa...e-white-house/

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

JARED KUSHNER AND DOZENS OF WHITE HOUSE STAFFERS HANDLE SENSITIVE INFORMATION WITHOUT PERMANENT SECURITY CLEARANCE

Dozens of employees have been working at the White House and handling sensitive information without permanent security clearance, according to a new report.

The staffers have been granted temporary approvals while the FBI clears the backlog of background checks, U.S. officials told The Washington Post.

Interest in security clearance has been a regular issue for White House staff, but focus returned to the topic after White House staff secretary Rob Porter resigned on Wednesday following accusations that he verbally and physically abused his two ex-wives. He has denied those allegations, though one of his former wives, Colbie Holderness, gave The Intercept a photo of herself with a black eye and a swollen cheek, telling the website the marks were Porter's doing.

Several White House aides told Politico that White House chief of staff John Kelly had been aware for weeks that the FBI would deny Porter full security clearance. After initially defending Porter, Kelly said that he was "shocked" to hear of the allegations and condemned domestic violence.

Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, has also yet to receive full security clearance, though he was a senior Trump campaign official, was on the transition team and continues to serve as a senior adviser to the president.

Kushner has been forced to amend his security clearance form on multiple occasions, a situation that legal experts told Newsweek last month was unprecedented. As the FBI continues to conduct its background check on him, the special counsel investigating Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election, and its possible collusion with the Trump campaign, is also looking into his foreign ties.
    http://www.newsweek.com/jared-kushne...e-house-802066

Interesting analysis of Trumpists' use of "alternative facts." Sounds about right to me.

"We like to imagine American politics as a kind of scored debate, with political actors acting as the debaters, the media acting as the judge, and the public acting as the audience. Much of cable news is based, implicitly or explicitly, on this metaphor. Panelists from different sides of issues are introduced to “debate” an issue; shows sell themselves as “no-spin zones”; networks brag that they’re “fair and balanced” or place “facts first.” Under this conception of American politics, a memo that proves a fraud, an argument that proves a bust, a politician who is seen to lie — all of it is revealed and punished, the system self-regulates.

But that metaphor is often wrong, and it’s particularly wrong in the ecosystem driven by Fox News and Trump’s Twitter account. What Conway and others understand is that if you’re just trying to activate your tribe, you don’t have to win the argument, you just need to have an argument; you need to give your side something to say, something to believe. Something like the Nunes memo or the various out-of-context texts aren’t part of a search for truth — they’re an ammo drop, or, to go back to the way Ball put it, “a semi-plausible (if not entirely coherent) counternarrative.”

Charlie Sykes, a conservative talk radio host turned Trump critic, put it well. “The essence of propaganda is not necessarily to convince you of a certain set of facts. It is to overwhelm your critical sensibilities. It’s to make you doubt the existence of a knowable truth. The [pro-Trump] media is a giant fog machine designed to confuse and disorient people.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...i-warner-texts

I would also argue that the point of Trump's communication style is in line with what Putin wants, which is for us as a country to eventually reject the very ideas of democracy we have always just taken for granted.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.

I guarantee you when Trump's plan to "fix" infrastructure comes down to it, it's all tolls, turnpikes, and private roads.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied