Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
    Not that I think Trump is smart enough, but he might have been referring to the nullification crisis of 1832. In that scenario, Andrew Jackson could perhaps be seen as the one threatening war with the passage of the Force Bill of 1833. Still, it seems that Jackson managed to defuse a really tense situation, and in the end the tariffs that were so offensive in SC were lowered even further....
    You're a kind and generous man, Solon. I think all Jackson did was kick the can down the road a bit. If Trump's statement, "Had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War," had come to pass we undoubtedly would have had slavery for much longer, given that Jackson himself had over 150 slaves at the time of his death.

BTW, for those curious about the depth of Trump's knowledge about Jackson, you'll love this from The Nation:

When Fox’s Tucker Carlson asked what he was reading in early March, the president replied, “Well, you know, I love to read. Actually, I’m looking at a book, I’m reading a book, I’m trying to get started [I cherish that sentence]. Every time I do about a half a page, I get a phone call that there’s some emergency, this or that. But we’re going to see the home of Andrew Jackson today in Tennessee and I’m reading a book on Andrew Jackson. I love to read. I don’t get to read very much, Tucker, because I’m working very hard on lots of different things, including getting costs down. The costs of our country are out of control. But we have a lot of great things happening, we have a lot of tremendous things happening.” So much for Jacksonian scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
      Not that I think Trump is smart enough, but he might have been referring to the nullification crisis of 1832. In that scenario, Andrew Jackson could perhaps be seen as the one threatening war with the passage of the Force Bill of 1833. Still, it seems that Jackson managed to defuse a really tense situation, and in the end the tariffs that were so offensive in SC were lowered even further.

There were a lot of close calls pre Fort Sumter, but it took Lincoln getting elected to spark secession.
      You don't have to have been Joseph Smith to have predicted the Civil War decades early.
      Agreed on civil war being inevitable.

Jackson was a populist nutjob so I can see why Trump is a fan.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
          Andrew Jackson would have prevented the Kendall Jenner Pepsi protest ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
            where you been bro
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Jackson was a populist nutjob so I can see why Trump is a fan.
              The best story about Andrew Jackson was his duel with Charles Dickinson... Jackson was literally inches from not being the president.

John Overton, a general in the military present at the duel, announced the duel should begin. Squaring himself, Dickinson aimed and fired at Jackson’s heart. Despite smoke and dust billowing from Jackson’s coat and his hand touching his chest, Jackson remained standing, puzzling the accomplished Dickinson. Reportedly, Dickinson asked, “My God! Have I missed him?”

Nevertheless, the decorum of dueling stated that Dickinson was required to remain in place while Jackson aimed to take his shot. Jackson fired, but the flint hammer stopped half-cocked, not counting as a legitimate shot. Jackson aimed again––ever so carefully––and fired a second time. This time, the shot was good and the bullet hit Dickinson in the chest and he dropped to the ground.

Jackson was a notoriously terrible marksman and he knew if he was to be successful in this duel, he would need to remain calm and possibly take a bullet. He calculated that if he could be the one to take the second shot, he could better steady his nerves and take careful aim––he could take a better shot than Dickinson had done in haste.

Dickinson would succumb to his wounds, dying later that night. Conversely, Jackson would survive, though with two broken ribs and a bullet inches from his heart that was never removed. Reflecting on the duel, the doctor remarked to Jackson, “I don’t see how you stayed on your feet after that wound.” To which Jackson responded, “I would have stood up long enough to kill him if he had put a bullet in my brain.” In the end, Dickinson was the only man Jackson would ever kill in a duel, despite the 100 and more in which he participated, compared to the 26 men killed by Dickinson.
              http://teachingamericanhistory.org/p...fotw/120528-2/

What a dumb democrat.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                The best story about Andrew Jackson was his duel with Charles Dickinson... Jackson was literally inches from not being the president.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/p...fotw/120528-2/

What a dumb democrat.
                Well he won didn't he.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  At this point I think it's time for the Republican controlled Congress to ignore Trump and just start passing what they want and put it on his desk just how they would if a democrat were president. Some good things would get passed and Trump's crazy crap could just be ignored. There's nothing that says Trump has to be the one setting the agenda, at least not domestically anyway. I don't know that most of Trump's hardcore supporters are paying close enough attention to the details to even know the difference.
                  This.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• With this kind of sharp whit, I still can't believe he bailed on the Correspondence Dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Comment

• You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          OMG. So hypocritical!
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            OMG. So hypocritical!
                            That wasn't my first thought. Frank's avatar is one thing (poor taste), but Colbert goes straight for the 80's era queer bashing. Not cool.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              That wasn't my first thought. Frank's avatar is one thing (poor taste), but Colbert goes straight for the 80's era queer bashing. Not cool.
                              Aren't you one of those who calls others snowflakes?

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                                Aren't you one of those who calls others snowflakes?
                                Am I? I guess I could be, but I'm not a student of my posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X