Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol. Nice subtle shot at a poster. I won't say his name as to not blow your cover.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Trump continues to amaze me with his monumental stupidity. I've been listening to parts of an interview with the Washington Examiner that was published earlier this morning. It's filled with truly idiotic observations, including how Andrew Jackson

Where to begin? First of all, Jackson, a slaveholder, died about sixteen years before the Civil War, but was apparently able to share his post-mortem thoughts with the Donald. And isn't the Civil War and its causes the most-written about topic in U.S. history? And yet "people don't ask that question..." Perhaps if Trump, unquestionably the most illiterate President of my lifetime, had ever cracked a book, he wouldn't be as prone to such stupidity. But then, I've never been more entertained by any chief executive, so there's that.
      Truly a bizarre comment.

It would not surprise me if he had an unusual take on Jackson. He obviously looks up to the guy, as well as many other strongmen in government. I wonder if he thinks Jackson would 'take care' of the southern states like he did with the native Americans. Maybe if someone was more forceful with the south earlier, there wouldn't be a Civil war.

But then Trump being Trump, who the hell knows what he meant by his Jackson comment?
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        Truly a bizarre comment.

It would not surprise me if he had an unusual take on Jackson. He obviously looks up to the guy, as well as many other strongmen in government. I wonder if he thinks Jackson would 'take care' of the southern states like he did with the native Americans. Maybe if someone was more forceful with the south earlier, there wouldn't be a Civil war.

But then Trump being Trump, who the hell knows what he meant by his Jackson comment?
        Frederick Douglass continues to do a lot of good.

Comment

• In the last couple of days Trump has preached that the government should be able to go after the press merely for being "negative," and now he's talking about Congress being "archaic." Funny that he uses the Gorsuch confirmation as one of his arguments. He says it was handled shamefully. What? First he says the rules are archaic, especially in the Senate, but then when they simplify the rules to push through his own nominee it's shameful? That makes sense only in his scrambled brain, I guess.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/politi...ump/index.html
          Last edited by BlueK; 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            I'm also amazed more people can't see through the sheer idiocy of the man. But I've also always thought it's not totally about him for his supporters. There is a very large part of this that is merely about giving the middle finger to the "establishment" as they call it. And by that I think it means not only the government. It's about everyone they perceive as more powerful than them. They don't care if Trump is an idiot. He just taps into the anger, and that is enough.
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Not to mention that we have a strong component of anti-intellectualism in our country. His stupidity and ignorance make him more "real" and relatable to some folks.
            It's going to be very interesting to see how his base reacts when Trump fails to deliver on his core promises, including (i) the Wall, (ii) the repeal of Obamacare and its replacement with something more beautiful, less expensive, and available to everyone, (iii) the total destruction of ISIS, (iv) [add a dozen other hyperbolic promises], and (v) so much winning we're going to become tired of winning. It's very possible his base will simply do a shoulder shrug and take satisfaction in Trump being so different. But it's also possible their disillusionment and cynicism about government leads to an even greater divergence from the norm with catastrophic consequences.

Comment

• The local Trump voters I've talked to are pretty "eh" about things.

They are frustrated with immunity and citizenship for undocumented immigrants, but seem to view the wall as a symbolic gesture and don't seem to upset one way or the other about its being built. They seem more interested in what's going on with sanctuary cities than with the wall.

They are tired of the consequences of the ACA as far as what it's done to health care costs - particularly in light of the promises made. But they get that there is a need for health care reform. They're pretty mixed on what that means - repealing the ACA first or just working to change it. Basically they just say something has to change.

They don't care about all the dumb stuff he says - in some ways I think they kind of like it because of the reactions he gets. One guy just told me that presidents and politicians have been saying dumb shit for years, and shrugged. Multiple have commented that it would've been nice for the press to pay this much attention to everything Obama was saying and fact check it as heavily as they focus on Trump.

The impression I get is that Trump was a means of giving the establishment the bird - as has been indicated. And the guys I've talked to all seem to think he's doing just fine - with plans more in line with what they're hoping for and not just more of the same from Washington. It's been interesting, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                The local Trump voters I've talked to are pretty "eh" about things.

They are frustrated with immunity and citizenship for undocumented immigrants, but seem to view the wall as a symbolic gesture and don't seem to upset one way or the other about its being built. They seem more interested in what's going on with sanctuary cities than with the wall.

They are tired of the consequences of the ACA as far as what it's done to health care costs - particularly in light of the promises made. But they get that there is a need for health care reform. They're pretty mixed on what that means - repealing the ACA first or just working to change it. Basically they just say something has to change.

They don't care about all the dumb stuff he says - in some ways I think they kind of like it because of the reactions he gets. One guy just told me that presidents and politicians have been saying dumb shit for years, and shrugged. Multiple have commented that it would've been nice for the press to pay this much attention to everything Obama was saying and fact check it as heavily as they focus on Trump.

The impression I get is that Trump was a means of giving the establishment the bird - as has been indicated. And the guys I've talked to all seem to think he's doing just fine - with plans more in line with what they're hoping for and not just more of the same from Washington. It's been interesting, for sure.
                At this point I think it's time for the Republican controlled Congress to ignore Trump and just start passing what they want and put it on his desk just how they would if a democrat were president. Some good things would get passed and Trump's crazy crap could just be ignored. There's nothing that says Trump has to be the one setting the agenda, at least not domestically anyway. I don't know that most of Trump's hardcore supporters are paying close enough attention to the details to even know the difference.

Comment

• I'll admit that I liked Trump skipping the WH correspondents dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Truly a bizarre comment.

Trump's comments are a direct result of his Bannon homeschooling. Watch the last 1:12 of a Bannon speech below...

https://youtu.be/0BSrJv0IpHY

Comment

• Originally posted by 8BR View Post
                      Trump's comments are a direct result of his Bannon homeschooling. Watch the last 1:12 of a Bannon speech below...

I've never heard that argument before. What kind of leadership is he referring to that could have averted the Civil War? When I type in google search 'how Buchanan could....' I get 'have prevented the Civil War'. So I guess it's out there. I'm not sure I even want to know how people think it could have been prevented.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

I've never heard that argument before. What kind of leadership is he referring to that could have averted the Civil War? When I type in google search 'how Buchanan could....' I get 'have prevented the Civil War'. So I guess it's out there. I'm not sure I even want to know how people think it could have been prevented.
                        I am reading another book about pre-civil war south. Never ceases to amaze me how slavery so thoroughly corrupted the south. Given the trajectory they were on, it would have taken a long time for them to abandon slavery organically. And what would America look like now had slavery lived on for several more generations?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I am reading another book about pre-civil war south. Never ceases to amaze me how slavery so thoroughly corrupted the south. Given the trajectory they were on, it would have taken a long time for them to abandon slavery organically. And what would America look like now had slavery lived on for several more generations?
                          I just read a quick article about Buchanan's presidency. It agrees with what you say; there was no movement to change the status quo right before the war. The Dred Scott decision, the Kansas statehood question, neither of these moved the needle away from letting the South continue slavery. What a mess.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by 8BR View Post

it's funny to me how the Steve Bannons like to throw out words like "liberty" in a way that is so often diametrically opposed to how libertarians use the word. For example, there is audio out there from one of Bannon's radio shows where his guest is talking about Muslims and states that American Muslims, regardless of whether they were born here or not, "have no Constitutional rights." Bannon didn't actually say it, but he didn't disagree with his guest either. By Liberty, the alt-right is really only talking about people they consider to be like themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Maybe it would look like Mauritania... they didn't abolish slavery until 1981 (and not punish slave owners until 2007). Of course, "human trafficking" is the new term for slavery.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Maybe it would look like Mauritania... they didn't abolish slavery until 1981 (and not punish slave owners until 2007). Of course, "human trafficking" is the new term for slavery.
                                Not that I think Trump is smart enough, but he might have been referring to the nullification crisis of 1832. In that scenario, Andrew Jackson could perhaps be seen as the one threatening war with the passage of the Force Bill of 1833. Still, it seems that Jackson managed to defuse a really tense situation, and in the end the tariffs that were so offensive in SC were lowered even further.

There were a lot of close calls pre Fort Sumter, but it took Lincoln getting elected to spark secession.
                                You don't have to have been Joseph Smith to have predicted the Civil War decades early.
                                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Working...
                                X