Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it... It seems that everyone is loving Drumpf now
    People in this country are quick to rally behind a projection of force, unfortunately. Our military strikes kill women and children in Iraq, Yemen, and elsewhere nearly every week... but no matter, we are somehow justified. It's pathetic; it's nauseating. And the media whips up the frenzy dragging everyone along for the ride.
    The media loved Trump’s show of military might. Are we really doing this again?
    <https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...a08_story.html>

The cruise missiles struck, and many in the mainstream media fawned.

“I think Donald Trump became president of the United States last night,” declared Fareed Zakaria on CNN, after firing of 59 missiles at a Syrian military airfield late Thursday night. (His words sounded familiar, since CNN’s Van Jones made a nearly identical pronouncement after Trump’s first address to Congress.)

“On Syria attack, Trump’s heart came first,” read a New York Times headline.
    “President Trump has done the right thing and I salute him for it,” wrote the Wall Street Journal’s Bret Stephens — a frequent Trump critic and Pulitzer Prize-winning conservative columnist. He added: “Now destroy the Assad regime for good.”

Brian Williams, on MSNBC, seemed mesmerized by the images of the strikes provided by the Pentagon. He used the word “beautiful” three times and alluded to a Leonard Cohen lyric — “I am guided by the beauty of our weapons” — without apparent irony.

Quite the pivot, for some. Assessing Trump’s presidency a few weeks ago, Zakaria wrote that while the Romans recommended keeping people happy with bread and circuses, “so far, all we have gotten is the circus.” And the Times has been so tough on Trump that the president rarely refers to the paper without “failing” or “fake” as a descriptor.

But after the strikes, praise flowed like wedding champagne — especially on cable news.

“Guest after guest is gushing. From MSNBC to CNN, Trump is receiving his best night of press so far,” wrote Sam Sacks, a Washington podcaster and journalist. “And all he had to do was start a war.”

Why do so many in the news media love a show of force?

“There is no faster way to bring public support than to pursue military action,” said Ken Paulson, head of the Newseum Institute’s First Amendment Center.

[...]

Clara Jeffery, editor in chief of Mother Jones, offered a simple explanation: “It’s dramatic. It’s good for TV, reporters get caught up in the moment, or, worse, jingoism.”

[...]

Mocking “the instant elevation of Trump into a serious and respected war leader,” Glenn Greenwald in the Intercept recalled John Jay, one of the Federalist Papers authors, who wrote more than 200 years ago: “However disgraceful it may be to human nature . . . nations in general will make war whenever they have a prospect of getting anything by it.”

In fact, Jay wrote, “absolute monarchs will often make war when their nations are to get nothing by it” — except, of course, to scratch that eternal itch for military glory, revenge or self-aggrandizement.

Groupthink, and a lack of proper skepticism, is something that we’ve seen many times before as the American news media watches an administration step to the brink of war.

Most notoriously, that was true in the run-up to the Iraq invasion in 2003, the start of a long disaster there.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

But I am going to withhold judgement until I hear from Frank.
      Frank has already weighed in, several times... let me sum up:

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it... It seems that everyone is loving Drumpf now:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ch...rticle/2619622

But I am going to withhold judgement until I hear from Frank.
        There will never be a risk of me loving Trump. Aside from that, no need to wait for me, Ted, you usually get your info from Twitter and 4chan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          Frank has already weighed in, several times... let me sum up:

Sorry I don't think the US is on par with Russia. Sorry I don't share your weird isolationist world view, and don't think Pat Buchanan is anything more than a demagogue.

Comment

People in this country are quick to rally behind a projection of force, unfortunately. Our military strikes kill women and children in Iraq, Yemen, and elsewhere nearly every week... but no matter, we are somehow justified. It's pathetic; it's nauseating. And the media whips up the frenzy dragging everyone along for the ride.
            Your analysis is like you're holding an anti-war hammer and all you see are nails. Drone strikes raining down on villages in Yemen are not the same as a focused strike on a military air base responding to the use of nerve gas or other chemical weapons launched from that base. If you can't see that then Frank is right, you are in a weird isolationist bubble.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I think I am with Walter on this one.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I think I am with Walter on this one.
                And I'm with frank ryan. Strange bedfellows all around!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Sorry I don't think the US is on par with Russia. Sorry I don't share your weird isolationist world view, and don't think Pat Buchanan is anything more than a demagogue.
                  Russia. lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Your analysis is like you're holding an anti-war hammer and all you see are nails. Drone strikes raining down on villages in Yemen are not the same as a focused strike on a military air base responding to the use of nerve gas or other chemical weapons launched from that base. If you can't see that then Frank is right, you are in a weird isolationist bubble.
                    Never let it be said that creekster won't misrepresent your position as a basis for an ad hominem attack... in this case an "isolationist". Oh the humanity... an isolationist?!

You cut me deep creek, you cut me real deep just now. If you don't hear from me in the next few days, presume the worst.
                    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 04-08-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Never let it be said that creekster won't misrepresent your position as a basis for an ad hominem attack... in this case an "isolationist". Oh the humanity... an isolationist?!

You cut me deep creek, you me real deep just now. If you don't hear from me in the next few days, presume the worst.
                      What is the worst an isolationist can do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        What is the worst an isolationist can do?
                        Like the Boss said...

the [isolationists] down here, don't write nothing at all \
                        They just stand back and let it all be

Comment

Like the Boss said...

the [isolationists] down here, don't write nothing at all \
                          They just stand back and let it all be

Bill Kristol is a freaking menace.

Comment

You cut me deep creek, you cut me real deep just now. If you don't hear from me in the next few days, presume the worst.
                            That was not an ad hominem. But nice job at deflecting. And rather than bleat about my cruel misrepresentation of your position, why don't you correct it? What did I get wrong?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                              Bill Kristol is a freaking menace.
                              The Russians got to you too? Sad!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                That was not an ad hominem. But nice job at deflecting. And rather than bleat about my cruel misrepresentation of your position, why don't you correct it? What did I get wrong?
                                "It was not ad hominem you whiny bitch."

Comment

Working...
                                X