Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I've never seen someone post so often while claiming they're not arguing. But I'm very glad you feel good about your posts. You put so much effort into them it seems like somebody should like them.

I never claimed I wasn't arguing. Just not about the straw man in question.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The lengthy discussion about FDR vs. the Judiciary reminds me of a line from Woody Allen in his essay, My Philosophy:

We can say that the universe consists of a substance, and this substance we will call "atoms," or else we will call it "monads." Democritus called it atoms. Leibniz called it monads. Fortunately, the two men never met, or there would have been a very dull argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        JL's double downing in this thread puts GM to shame.
        You guys are hilarious.

I have made two simple points:

1. FDR proposed legislation that would fundamentally alter the makeup of the court. It was opposed by the public and both parties and failed.

2. In spite of that setback, FDR was able to successfully implement most of his New Deal legislation.

Those two points are irrefutable. So yeah, I will double down on that forever. (high five to GM!)

While I have the conch, let me make a couple more points. First of all, not all of the New Deal passed judicial muster. One of primary pieces was the National Recovery Act - essentially a national price fixing scheme. It was passed in 1933 and overturned in 1935. Some of the components of act related to labor were brought back later through individual legislation, but the price-fixing part (the foundation of the act) never did. Thank heavens - it was a dumb idea.

Also, yes in the long run FDR was able to pack the court. He was arguably the most popular and one of the most politically skilled presidents in history and he served for the longest tenure (3+ terms) of any president. Under those conditions he mostly got his way with congress and the courts. But in spite of all that power and momentum, his 1937 court-restructuring legislative proposal failed.
        Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          The lengthy discussion about FDR vs. the Judiciary reminds me of a line from Woody Allen in his essay, My Philosophy:
          Yes! If I was smarter, I would have said the same thing.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I'd say that JL just did a sextuple-down, but this is a family board, so I won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• KellyAnne.jpg

What Trump has managed to do to KellyAnne in just a matter of months, doesn't bode well for our country the next 1-4 years.
              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

What Trump has managed to do to KellyAnne in just a matter of months, doesn't bode well for our country the next 1-4 years.
                Seriously could there ever be a worse boss than Donald Trump? What a nightmare of a guy to work for. You see this stuff and think Mitt would have been insane to take the SoS job.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  Seriously could there ever be a worse boss than Donald Trump? What a nightmare of a guy to work for. You see this stuff and think Mitt would have been insane to take the SoS job.
                  Yep!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    The lengthy discussion about FDR vs. the Judiciary reminds me of a line from Woody Allen in his essay, My Philosophy:
                    Very good.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Mitt would never work for that fraud!

Cassidy-Romney-Humiliation-690.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        Mitt would never work for that fraud!

[ATTACH]7736[/ATTACH]
                        It makes you wonder why Mitt even entertained the idea.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          It makes you wonder why Mitt even entertained the idea.
                          He wanted free shrimp-topped mussels and ice water!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            That gerbils are responsible for climate change?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            LOL. Yeah, that one too. But I also believe the rumors about Gere.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              He wanted free shrimp-topped mussels and ice water!

Those are scallops, bro.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Those are scallops, bro.
                                lol

AJ is a person of the people.

Comment

Working...
                                X