Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
    I'm not asking you to do so. I'm just saying that he is President and is empowered to do what he is doing. And that giving the courts a role in security policy is not a good precedent to set.

Sadly, elections have consequences.
    Yeah he does- but not carte blanche. He just can't subjectively say he thinks there's a threat.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Yeah he does- but not carte blanche. He just can't subjectively say he thinks there's a threat.
      Actually he can, and can act on it, just like any other President. I have no doubt that there is intelligence pointing to those countries as threats. That is his justification.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Agreed. What a crazy place to plant the Dem flag.

I just heard a commentator on CNN say that this vote will stick with those voting to confirm for a long time. Really? Unless Devos is a total disaster, no one will care in 6 months.
        The dems from the beginning indicated they wanted to take 2-3 of the cabinet designees down. Said it even before they heard from them. As the process moved along Devos became the easiest target. If 1 or 2 others had big problems, they would have left her alone. It isn't about the candidate it is about showing the base you are trying to stall and cause harm to the new administration.

Why do they announce ahead of time, like McConnell did? They want failure. Looks like they aren't pulling for America to do well but their own power base to do well.

Comment

But weren't these seven nations designated as specific terror threats by the Obama admin? So the question isnt if they present a threat (and saying we have to wait until they actually commit an attack is ludicrous) it is a question over the proper response. Few think his response is proper but it seems to me it is his role to decide that.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I just heard a commentator on CNN say that this vote will stick with those voting to confirm for a long time. Really? Unless Devos is a total disaster, no one will care in 6 months.
            A guy on NPR said the dems felt like this might be the only chance they have for a win and need to have something to give their base.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              But weren't these seven nations designated as specific terror threats by the Obama admin? So the question isnt if they present a threat (and saying we have to wait until they actually commit an attack is ludicrous) it is a question over the proper response. Few think his response is proper but it seems to me it is his role to decide that.
              Is that the same thing as halting visa applications and refugee status? How does that combat a terror threat to or within those countries? Trump likes to blow the horn of "extreme vetting," but it is clear he is unfamiliar with the process and there is no real pathway to resuming visa applications for those foreign nationals if the order is upheld. It is 120 days AND those country's governments must comply or demonstrate they can deliver acceptable vetting of visa applicants, whatever that means. That's pretty clear that if you're from Iran, now is the time to GTFO before this thing becomes law and doesn't go away until Trump is gone. America first, huh?
              Last edited by Commando; 02-07-2017, 10:25 AM.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Teachers will care.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I'm wondering where the threat is coming from. Refugees? Vetted entrants with valid visas? Who is pouring in that Trump is worried about that he signed this order? Those are the questions he can't answer acceptably.

Comment

I'm wondering where the threat is coming from. Refugees? Vetted entrants with valid visas? Who is pouring in that Trump is worried about that he signed this order? Those are the questions he can't answer acceptably.
                    I can't speak for Trump, but my fear is yes could slip through the refugee program and vetted visas. There have been enough credible people questionning the current vetting that I would like to see some hard asses, like Kelly look at it instead of the more sensitive folks like Pres. Obama and Kerry.

They could get here and not do anything for years. During that time they could recruit. Now, I don't really fear for myself or friends or family that much. None of them live in an area that would be a prime target. So for humantarian sakes, let's be a great country and if it costs us some citizens, well there are always trade offs.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I can't speak for Trump, but my fear is yes could slip through the refugee program and vetted visas. There have been enough credible people questionning the current vetting that I would like to see some hard asses, like Kelly look at it instead of the more sensitive folks like Pres. Obama and Kerry.

They could get here and not do anything for years. During that time they could recruit. Now, I don't really fear for myself or friends or family that much. None of them live in an area that would be a prime target. So for humantarian sakes, let's be a great country and if it costs us some citizens, well there are always trade offs.
                      I don't have that much fear from terrorists. Perhaps I am naive, but the costs and expenses are significant. If a long range plan is in the works, it is more likely from Russia or China, not Iran.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post

lol. No bigger hardass in U.S. history than Obama when it comes to immigration. Fact. But record deportations aside...

Obama's "ban" Kelly Conway brought up was actually when he added 2 additional background checks to refugees from Iraq after finding 2 refugees with Al Quaeda contacts. The whole thing ground to a halt for 6 months until they got caught up on applications. They're pretty thorough. I don't know who's questioning the vetting process aside from Trump and Steve Bannon.
                        Last edited by Commando; 02-07-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Is that the same thing as halting visa applications and refugee status? How does that combat a terror threat to or within those countries? Trump likes to blow the horn of "extreme vetting," but it is clear he is unfamiliar with the process and there is no real pathway to resuming visa applications for those foreign nationals if the order is upheld. It is 120 days AND those country's governments must comply or demonstrate they can deliver acceptable vetting of visa applicants, whatever that means. That's pretty clear that if you're from Iran, now is the time to GTFO before this thing becomes law and doesn't go away until Trump is gone. America first, huh?
                          Don't misunderstand; I think the policy, especially as rolled out, was a very bad idea. But that's not the same as saying he can't do it. Like I said before, I don't know the law here and LS was a long time ago. But that's how it seems to me.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                            Teachers will care.
                            Teachers didn't seem to like President Obama's guy much. Tough crowd I guess.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Rudy Giuliani January 29th on Fox saying this was meant to be a legal way to do a Muslim ban:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2017/0...lim-ban/215163
                              Last edited by BlueK; 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

While I understand his own statements cause him trouble on some legal positions, I think many are failing to separate Trump's absurd and over the top statements from the language of the EO itself. The threat from residents of the designated nations (all identified as terrorist nations before Trump took office) might come from all of the above. Further, Trump doesn't need to provide acceptable answers to you or me or even to the courts for much of this. It just has to be within his authority.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X