Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    I thought this was a very good article about Trump's base and church affiliation and attendance. Once you get into the meat of the article it backs up the conclusions with some polling data that I thought was pretty interesting.

https://www.theamericanconservative....cked-to-trump/

"Trump’s improbable likeness to a mega-church preacher allowed him to capture the love of a huge swath of the electorate that previously tuned out or voted for Democrats. The people who came to Trump, especially early in the primaries, weren’t really joining the GOP and they weren’t primarily seeking policies. They didn’t even necessarily believe Trump would bring back their jobs. Many of Trump’s earliest and most dedicated supporters were seeking a deeper fulfillment.

They came to Trump seeking what they had lost because they had lost church.

When Trump caught so many political commentators off guard, we looked for an explanation amid the closing factories, but we should have been looking for the closing churches.

And this is a story much bigger than Trump. Trump’s early appeal was his declaration that “the American Dream is dead,” as he put it in his campaign launch. Faith in the American Dream is the weakest where people lack strong religious institutions where they can seek deeper meaning.

The best way to describe Trump’s support in the Republican primaries—when he was running against the likes of Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, John Kasich—would be: white evangelicals who do not go to church."

Read through it and you'll also find some LDS references.
    Thanks. Interesting read.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Haha. Nah. You won't find me posting articles about him (good or bad) or claiming Clinton and/or Obama are way worse. But I do get somewhat tired of some people claiming that every last thing he does is an impeachable offense.
      I never get tired of that because that's my ethos. He takes a dump, impeachable offense. He drinks a coke, impeachable offense. He looks out a White House window, impeachable offense. He subborns perjury, impeachable offense.

Kind of like a shotgun approach.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        I thought this was a very good article about Trump's base and church affiliation and attendance. Once you get into the meat of the article it backs up the conclusions with some polling data that I thought was pretty interesting.

https://www.theamericanconservative....cked-to-trump/

"Trump’s improbable likeness to a mega-church preacher allowed him to capture the love of a huge swath of the electorate that previously tuned out or voted for Democrats. The people who came to Trump, especially early in the primaries, weren’t really joining the GOP and they weren’t primarily seeking policies. They didn’t even necessarily believe Trump would bring back their jobs. Many of Trump’s earliest and most dedicated supporters were seeking a deeper fulfillment.

They came to Trump seeking what they had lost because they had lost church.

When Trump caught so many political commentators off guard, we looked for an explanation amid the closing factories, but we should have been looking for the closing churches.

And this is a story much bigger than Trump. Trump’s early appeal was his declaration that “the American Dream is dead,” as he put it in his campaign launch. Faith in the American Dream is the weakest where people lack strong religious institutions where they can seek deeper meaning.

The best way to describe Trump’s support in the Republican primaries—when he was running against the likes of Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, John Kasich—would be: white evangelicals who do not go to church."

Read through it and you'll also find some LDS references.
        That was a very interesting read and some interesting conclusions.

We live in a very scary time as far as social change is concerned, between the social breakdown that this article addresses and the affect that social media is having on us and our interactions.

I recommend people check out the frontline episodes on Facebook:
        https://www.pbs.org/video/the-facebo...rt-one-s43cuc/
        https://www.pbs.org/video/the-facebo...rt-two-iev1xh/

We are going through a lot of changes now. It will be interesting how society adapts to them.
        Last edited by beefytee; 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          I never get tired of that because that's my ethos. He takes a dump, impeachable offense. He drinks a coke, impeachable offense. He looks out a White House window, impeachable offense. He subborns perjury, impeachable offense.

Kind of like a shotgun approach.
          Lol, honestly when have I asserted Trump should be impeached for something dumb? People may think there isn’t evidence that he did what I believe he did, but no one has stated he should be impeached because he looks like an oompaloompa.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            That's the vacation part!
            Yep... The rest of trip was the “business”part to justify the government paying for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• G
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Haha. Nah. You won't find me posting articles about him (good or bad) or claiming Clinton and/or Obama are way worse. But I do get somewhat tired of some people claiming that every last thing he does is an impeachable offense.
              No one, including myself claims every last thing he does is impeachable. I realize you’re being hyperbolic, but your reflexive contrarian skepticism of any criticism of Trump makes you look like a bit like a MAGA guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                No one, including myself claims every last thing he does is impeachable. I realize you’re being hyperbolic, but your reflexive contrarian skepticism of any criticism of Trump makes you look like a bit like a MAGA guy.
                I'm not a MAGA guy, I don't even like the color red.

I don't like Trump. My "reflexive" skepticism comes more from the fact that I don't like one-sided arguments. Things around here are becoming a little too chicken little-ish for my tastes when it comes to Trump.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Lol, honestly when have I asserted Trump should be impeached for something dumb? People may think there isn’t evidence that he did what I believe he did, but no one has stated he should be impeached because he looks like an oompaloompa.
                  Trump should be impeached because he looks like an oompaloompa. Is he even a citizen? Perhaps he was smuggled into the country by some candy robber-baron to dispose of the bodies of children who made a mistake while touring a candy factory.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• So, no more coast-to-coast concrete wall and some relief for DACA recipients? Then what has this all been about?

Edit: one big element Dump missed was how Mexico is going to pay for whatever non-concrete barrier he gets.
                    Last edited by myboynoah; 01-19-2019, 03:41 PM.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

Comment

• The savior of the winter olympics and first son of Utah gives sermon on Drumpf's wall...

Romney backs Trump on partial shutdown, says ‘I don’t understand’ Pelosi’s position

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, on Friday backed President Trump’s stance on the partial government shutdown, backing his call for a wall on the southern border and saying he doesn’t understand Democrats’ positioning on the issue.

The stalemate was sparked by Republicans and Democrats unable to come to an agreement on Trump’s call for $5.7 billion for funding for a wall or barrier on the border. Democrats have said they won’t go close to that number, and have instead offered less than $2 billion for more general “border security.”

According to The Associated Press, Romney backed Trump and said that the U.S. deserves border security -- including a barrier on the southern border.
                        [...]
                        https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rom...losis-position

He has spoken. Let it be written. Let it be so. The argument here is now over.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          So, no more coast-to-coast concrete wall and some relief for DACA recipients? Then what has this all been about?

Edit: one big element Dump missed was how Mexico is going to pay for whatever non-concrete barrier he gets.
                          Trump's generous offer is a bunch of bullshit. I regularly file and receive renewals for DACA cases right now. He's 'guaranteeing' it for three years? Whoop de doo. The only possible upgrade here would be allowing initial applications and advance parole applications for DACA holders. But the 6 billion dollars isn't exactly a loan, is it? Path to citizenship for DACA recipients or no deal.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Trump's generous offer is a bunch of bullshit. I regularly file and receive renewals for DACA cases right now. He's 'guaranteeing' it for three years? Whoop de doo. The only possible upgrade here would be allowing initial applications and advance parole applications for DACA holders. But the 6 billion dollars isn't exactly a loan, is it? Path to citizenship for DACA recipients or no deal.
                            I like it.

Comment

• I enjoyed the most recent George Will column on Trump more than most. Nothing new, just some nicely turned phrases expressing what many of us here believe.

Dislike of him should be tempered by this consideration: He is an almost inexpressibly sad specimen. It must be misery to awaken to another day of being Donald Trump. He seems to have as many friends as his pluperfect self-centeredness allows, and as he has earned in an entirely transactional life. His historical ignorance deprives him of the satisfaction of working in a house where much magnificent history has been made. His childlike ignorance -- preserved by a lifetime of single-minded self-promotion -- concerning governance and economics guarantees that whenever he must interact with experienced and accomplished people he is as bewildered as a kindergartener at a seminar on string theory.

Which is why this fountain of self-refuting boasts ("I have a very good brain") lies so much. He does so less to deceive anyone than to reassure himself. And as balm for his base, which remains oblivious to his likely contempt for them as sheep who can be effortlessly gulled by preposterous fictions. The tungsten strength of his supporters' loyalty is as impressive as his indifference to expanding their numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I enjoyed the most recent George Will column on Trump more than most. Nothing new, just some nicely turned phrases expressing what many of us here believe.
                                Nailed it.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X