Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    And in this entire conversation, this is the comment you want to discuss? This summarizes perfectly why I'm correct. Only the 20 percent on each end of the Trump spectrum look at the media as unbiased. Everyone else sees pretty clearly that there isn't an unbiased major media outlet.

Maximus is probably right that Trump gets what he deserves, but not a day of the Trump presidency has gone by without CNN and MSNBC whining about something Trump. Not even the handful of Republicans that work at these outlets say anything positive. Fox, on the other hand, is typically all right all the time. Nobody can be believed, and I stopped watching the news years ago. The print media aren't much better, but the opinion pieces at least admit bias.
    Opinion pieces are known what they are. But the bias comes in the selection of topics and stories mostly, not as much on the actual facts. Fox for example doesn't have a single story on their front page right now about the family separation happening at the border. It seems like kind of an important story, but if you only read Fox you might not know there were several GOP senators that made some comments yesterday about their disagreement with the president on the issue, including Ted Cruz. Do they really think it's not news? It's more like they wish it weren't news. I would say Fox has shifted over the last two years from being mainstream conservative leaning to hard Trumpist, which isn't the same thing.

That said, I don't think the news, even some sources I don't care for like Fox are as biased as most people just automatically think they are. And even if they are, I think people should follow them anyway to get a contrast and then make up their own minds. I like realclearpolitics because you can find opinion pieces on there from all angles. I don't agree with most of the Trump apology stuff, but I do read them. It's a danger to maintaining a free press and country when the public refuses to listen to all sides. And Gerrymandering is the political mechanism in place right now for training our politicians not to listen to the other side, which is probably even worse.
    Last edited by BlueK; 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• TBH, they probably don’t need anything more than space blankets for warmth in south Texas right now
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Oh, good old Lou Dobbs. Is the hardest of hardline stances against all immigration, even legal, really a winning strategy politically?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...cs-highlights/

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          Opinion pieces are known what they are. But the bias comes in the selection of topics and stories mostly, not as much on the actual facts. Fox for example doesn't have a single story on their front page right now about the family separation happening at the border. It seems like kind of an important story, but if you only read Fox you might not know there were several GOP senators that made some comments yesterday about their disagreement with the president on the issue, including Ted Cruz. Do they really think it's not news? It's more like they wish it weren't news. I would say Fox has shifted over the last two years from being mainstream conservative leaning to hard Trumpist, which isn't the same thing.

That said, I don't think the news, even some sources I don't care for like Fox are as biased as most people just automatically think they are. And even if they are, I think people should follow them anyway to get a contrast and then make up their own minds. I like realclearpolitics because you can find opinion pieces on there from all angles. I don't agree with most of the Trump apology stuff, but I do read them. It's a danger to maintaining a free press and country when the public refuses to listen to all sides. And Gerrymandering is the political mechanism in place right now for training our politicians not to listen to the other side, which is probably even worse.
          I agree with all of this. I think the bias in most hard news is unintentional, and arises from the perspective the reporter is looking at the story from. Trump did a 'hold my beer' on Obama's polarizing tenure, and reporters feel more strongly about his presidency than any other in the television age. The stronger the feelings, the more the angle of the story skews. I can accept this kind of bias, but it's the intentionally misleading stories that really damage my faith in the media. These are admittedly less common, but I consider it a big deal when it happens. The media are the people's eyes and ears, and when they break the trust they are granted I consider it an egregious abuse of power, particularly when they present themselves as unbiased.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Oh, good old Lou Dobbs. Is the hardest of hardline stances against all immigration, even legal, really a winning strategy politically?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...cs-highlights/
            Yeah, republicans are heartless basturds. I wonder what Clinton-Kaine would have done about the illegal immigrant children problem...

OMG... they wouldn't even give them a Walmart to sleep in! Dems are heartless basturds too! No wonder I keep wasting my vote on a third party.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Thanks, commando. This sucks. How long will it take for courts to right it? Also, are they entitled to legal counsel? What a mess.
              There is no right to counsel for civil proceedings, which is what removal proceedings are. They could hire their own attorney to represent them, but obviously the vast majority quite inadequately represent themselves in complex asylum cases. I imagine the pendulum will swing the other way like it tends to do, but not quick enough to really help the thousands of affected children at this point. I'm heartened to see pretty much the whole country outraged and only the cream of the crop Trump ass kissers defending what's going on. Sessions got too bold and really stepped in it this time. Trump inches ever closer to his stated brag that he'd be able to shoot somebody on 5th Avenue in broad daylight...
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Returning the question, what legal remedies do the asylum seekers have? I'd think there is some option available for them, as well as those who simple come to the border trying to immigrate the old fashioned way? Also, is this happening to everyone presenting themselves at the border for entry? How widespread is it? I'm too lazy to look very hard, but didn't find much in a 30-second search.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  TBH, they probably don’t need anything more than space blankets for warmth in south Texas right now
                  Yeah but it's a piece of foil- they couldn't even afford the decency of actual cloth for kids.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Returning the question, what legal remedies do the asylum seekers have? I'd think there is some option available for them, as well as those who simple come to the border trying to immigrate the old fashioned way? Also, is this happening to everyone presenting themselves at the border for entry? How widespread is it? I'm too lazy to look very hard, but didn't find much in a 30-second search.
                    Well.. asylum, first and foremost- (also two lesser forms of relief called Withholding of Removal and relief under the Convention Against Torture or "CAT"). That is articulating a fear of returning to your country because of persecution or torture on account of your race, ethnicity, political beliefs, or religious beliefs perpetuated by the government or that the government will not or is powerless to prevent. In fact, the vast majority of people who just up and leave and head to the U.S. border unannounced are asylum seekers (yes there is a class of migrant workers but they are their own thing and largely from Mexico, whereas would-be asylees are Central American generally speaking). And it doesn't matter if they present themselves at the border or cross without inspection-- they have a year to file an asylum application. If they prevail they are classified as an asylee and are eligible for a green card in a year. It's very telling that Sessions has been reassigning Board of Immigration Appeals cases to himself to reshape asylum and create nationwide precedent that would pare it down substantially. That is the whole motive behind the separation policy. They aren't trying to stem border crossings- just asylum applications.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Yeah but it's a piece of foil- they couldn't even afford the decency of actual cloth for kids.
                      It was a sarcastic joke.

Despite my inappropriate sense of humor, I appreciate your informed discussion on this topic.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Yeah, republicans are heartless basturds. I wonder what Clinton-Kaine would have done about the illegal immigrant children problem...

OMG... they wouldn't even give them a Walmart to sleep in! Dems are heartless basturds too! No wonder I keep wasting my vote on a third party.
                        THIS ISNT A TOPIC ON CLINTON

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                          THIS ISNT A TOPIC ON CLINTON
                          Yes, correct... that is actually Tim Kaine.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• #whataboutsomebodyotherthantrump
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Nobody thinks Democrats are good at all on immigration. It's not politically expedient for any party to do anything about it, so Democrats usually throw them to the wolves low key as a concession to reach across the aisle. Clinton and Obama both exemplify this spectacularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Legal vs. illegal. Trump wants the "slam the door the hell shut to everyone" policy.

Comment

Working...
                                X