Page 236 of 252 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,080 of 7533

Thread: President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Well, aren't they speculating? I've seen a bunch of stories, counting the exact number of days since she was seen in public, etc. I don't see any references to FAKE NEWS or the failing New York Times. No doubt Melania takes her social media cues from DJT, but I'm not sure this is evidence he's got his thumbs on her blackberry.
    i don’t think he’s had his thumbs on her blackberry for quite some time
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Well, aren't they speculating? I've seen a bunch of stories, counting the exact number of days since she was seen in public, etc. I don't see any references to FAKE NEWS or the failing New York Times. No doubt Melania takes her social media cues from DJT, but I'm not sure this is evidence he's got his thumbs on her blackberry.
    It's not what Melania would say, in my opinion. And she seems anything but the type to be obsessed with media talk. Still, this barely registers on the importance scale compared to trying to start dopey and harmful trade wars.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    well trump can certainly change his mind in 12 hours, right?
    True. But this is one of the only issues he hasn't really flip flopped on in the last 30 years. He's never been a fan of free trade. No matter what those around him try to do, he always seems to come back to his dopey tariff ideas. Also, at this point almost all of the free traders who were trying to turn him on this issue have long left the White House.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Forgot to post the link. Definitely fits Trumpís tweeting style.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...68a94e2be9/amp
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

You know, it's times like this I wonder if those who couldn't pull the lever for Killary have rethought that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    You know, it's times like this I wonder if those who couldn't pull the lever for Killary have rethought that decision.
    Under the current electoral system only those in a few states have a chance to turn the election with their vote. But I can't imagine voting for any republican right now for pretty much almost any office because of how they've given in to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Under the current electoral system only those in a few states have a chance to turn the election with their vote. But I can't imagine voting for any republican right now for pretty much almost any office because of how they've given in to him.
    I understand your practical argument. I'm more interested in the philosophical one. As in, it's likely Clinton would have been a more conservative (as was previously defined before 2016) president than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I understand your practical argument. I'm more interested in the philosophical one. As in, it's likely Clinton would have been a more conservative (as was previously defined before 2016) president than Trump.
    she wouldn't be trying to start trade wars.

This is a year old now, but I don't recall seeing it before now - and in light of the Rosanne stuff, it seems relevant for today. Nothing has changed. If anything, we're just seeing more of the same and cementing patterns of response.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-trump/521472/

Though aimed at blue-state sophisticates, these shows are an unintended but powerful form of propaganda for conservatives. When Republicans see these harsh jokes—which echo down through the morning news shows and the chattering day’s worth of viral clips, along with those of Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert, and Seth Meyers—they don’t just see a handful of comics mocking them. They see HBO, Comedy Central, TBS, ABC, CBS, and NBC. In other words, they see exactly what Donald Trump has taught them: that the entire media landscape loathes them, their values, their family, and their religion. It is hardly a reach for them to further imagine that the legitimate news shows on these channels are run by similarly partisan players—nor is it at all illogical. No wonder so many of Trump’s followers are inclined to believe only the things that he or his spokespeople tell them directly—everyone else on the tube thinks they’re a bunch of trailer-park, Oxy-snorting half-wits who divide their time between retweeting Alex Jones fantasies and ironing their Klan hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    This is a year old now, but I don't recall seeing it before now - and in light of the Rosanne stuff, it seems relevant for today. Nothing has changed. If anything, we're just seeing more of the same and cementing patterns of response.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-trump/521472/
    The article does make a good point. But I think the backlash is coming mostly from older folks in rural areas with lower levels of education. Wealthier republicans in the cities and suburbs I don't think are getting as easily offended by late night comedy. And I think this is evidenced by the fact that Romney did better than Trump did in those types of districts.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018 at 12:55 PM.

The article does make a good point. But I think the backlash is coming mostly from older folks in rural areas with lower levels of education. Wealthier republicans in the cities and suburbs I don't think are getting as easily offended by late night comedy. And I think this is evidenced by the fact that Romney did better than Trump did in those types of districts.
    Well sure, but that's his base - no? The uneducated deplorables?

I also think that as time goes by, it gets old for all Republicans/Conservatives - regardless of education or socioeconomic status. And even though they don't necessarily like him, they dislike the sense of being judged by association.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

True. But this is one of the only issues he hasn't really flip flopped on in the last 30 years. He's never been a fan of free trade. No matter what those around him try to do, he always seems to come back to his dopey tariff ideas. Also, at this point almost all of the free traders who were trying to turn him on this issue have long left the White House.
    But he's smart and he graduated from Wharton!

But then, one of his Wharton profs said repeatedly that, "Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Well sure, but that's his base - no? The uneducated deplorables?

I also think that as time goes by, it gets old for all Republicans/Conservatives - regardless of education or socioeconomic status. And even though they don't necessarily like him, they dislike the sense of being judged by association.
    Those folks should stop watching the late night comedy and maybe occasionally try a different news source than the Fox they are probably glued to. Sure, they may hear alternative explanations or arguments, but that's healthy. They don't have to agree with everything, and honestly, compared to the comedians, especially the cable ones, it's not like the people on CNN or MSNBC are making fun of them. But alas, Trump is training them to have micro thin skin like he does.
    Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Here's a fun article on MSNBC that explains why progressives are a little frustrated with MSNBC since that channel has veered centrist to appeal to never-Trump Republicans and libertarians. There are several shows on there right now that I like.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...ves-anti-trump

whats the point of congress anymore?

Republicans worry that Trump’s protectionist trade policies could undermine all that and threaten a healthy economy before the midterm elections. Yet House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have shown no interest in passing legislation to block Trump’s tariffs or require congressional approval, a move that would essentially bring Capitol Hill to a standstill.

What a bunch of castrated bitches.

They will pay in November.

Barring any shenanigans
    Last edited by frank ryan; 05-31-2018 at 09:19 PM.

polls are turning in favor of repubs

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    What a bunch of castrated bitches.
    And they're feckless.
    Last edited by Non Sequitur; 06-01-2018 at 04:14 AM.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Nice of Trump to remind us he has the absolute right to pardon himself.

Nice of Trump to remind us he has the absolute right to pardon himself.
    He can really pardon himself? So why are we spending all this money on the Mueller investigation to find a spec of evidence of Drumpf colluding with the Ruskies if he can just pardon himself in the end? Kind of seems like a waste of money.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    He can really pardon himself? So why are we spending all this money on the Mueller investigation to find a spec of evidence of Drumpf colluding with the Ruskies if he can just pardon himself in the end? Kind of seems like a waste of money.
    how did the Devin Nunes campaign fundraising party go? Did you give a lot of money?

I bet a gasbag like Trump is always pardoning himself because he has to apologize for having so much flatulence.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I bet a gasbag like Trump is always pardoning himself because he has to apologize for having so much flatulence.
    Fart jokes are beneath you, bro.

Trump and his team's silly arguments about obstruction of justice:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/03/o...tion%2Fopinion
    Last edited by BlueK; 06-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    American people don't have to elect him twice, though.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

American people don't have to elect him twice, though.
    I wouldn't count on it... The American people (and the Russian hackers) picked him over the most qualified presidential candidate ever. Where are the dems going to find a candidate that can top Hillary?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

You have all been warned!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You have all been warned!

You could put this in the "What's Wrong with California" thread too!