Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Those are two issues that are very unrelated. The Muslim Ban has nothing to do with DACA I am talking about Trump's ICE's enforcement priorities.
    Yes, see Comparing Trump and Obama’s Deportation Priorities as I mentioned before.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
    And as far as DACA/the DREAM Act no- you don't have to go to college. Just graduate high school, get a GED, or be IN high school or signed up to take the GED. And FYI there are various stages of lawful status -- it isn't that you're either undocumented OR a U.S. citizen.
    I believe the requirement to go to college or serve in the military (to obtain permanent residency) was in the Dream Act bill that Obama referred to in his speech on the DACA executive order and described at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act For conditional residency, yeah, just high school/GED. Of course, the DREAM Act has never been passed so there is no law keeping any of those kids here other than an executive order which seems will expire in March (unless congress gets off their *sses and does something). DACA wasn't anything permanent as well but just a stopgap.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      OK so we're both talking bout interior enforcement policies. You should know that there are no enforcement priorities and the Trump Gestapo can basically detain whomever they want. The guidelines are a joke:

"a) have been convicted of any criminal offense
      b) have been charged with any criminal offense (looks like the long-cherished American convention of presumption of innocence isn't a thing in this context)
      c) have committed acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense
      d) have willfully committed fraud in any official matter before a government agency
      e) have abused public benefits programs (again- fantastic objective criteria here)
      f) have final orders of removal
      g) are otherwise considered a public safety or national security risk by an immigration officer"

They started off with some objective criteria but then it just comes down to a catch-all "have committed acts that constitute an otherwise chargeable criminal offense (uh ok let's leave it to ill-trained ICE officers to make the call on that one)" and "are otherwise considered a public safety or national security risk by an immigration officer. (Holy shit.)" Considered a risk and doesn't fall into any of the other categories? I guess that little girl in the ambulance really scared those CBP officers...
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

OK so we're both talking bout interior enforcement policies. You should know that there are no enforcement priorities and the Trump Gestapo can basically detain whomever they want. The guidelines are a joke:

"a) have been convicted of any criminal offense
        b) have been charged with any criminal offense (looks like the long-cherished American convention of presumption of innocence isn't a thing in this context)
        c) have committed acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense
        d) have willfully committed fraud in any official matter before a government agency
        e) have abused public benefits programs (again- fantastic objective criteria here)
        f) have final orders of removal
        g) are otherwise considered a public safety or national security risk by an immigration officer"

They started off with some objective criteria but then it just comes down to a catch-all "have committed acts that constitute an otherwise chargeable criminal offense (uh ok let's leave it to ill-trained ICE officers to make the call on that one)" and "are otherwise considered a public safety or national security risk by an immigration officer. (Holy shit.)" Considered a risk and doesn't fall into any of the other categories? I guess that little girl in the ambulance really scared those CBP officers...
        Yeah, current immigration is a joke... it's too bad the dems didn't clean all up when they were running the show. They had the chance but pushed Obamacare instead. The GOP'ers have the ball now so let's see if they will run with it or just fumble like the dems.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, current immigration is a joke... it's too bad the dems didn't clean all up when they were running the show. They had the chance but pushed Obamacare instead. The GOP'ers have the ball now so let's see if they will run with it or just fumble like the dems.
          they'll fumble it. but I do agree the dems should have tried for immigration reform when they had the chance in Obama's first year or so. It could have passed then when they had both houses. At the time I remember hoping they would but they decided it wasn't worth their time.
          Last edited by BlueK; 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Where before prosecutors would stipulate to administrative closure of most sympathetic cases of a person in removal proceedings, they now stipulate to NOTHING. Now is the time of Trump's great power on the Earth and you see things like little girls with CP being pulled over in ambulances and detained by ICE/CBP, whereas 14 months ago that would have been quite unthinkable. So Trump's guise of 'ending Obama's unconstitutional DACA' is really just a cover up for being an utter piece of shit. He could have ended DACA and kept humane enforcement priorities, but he didn't. So it's not so much the sentiment that DACA needs a permanent, legislative solution that adds to the stress and concern of people under DACA; it's more having ICE out knocking doors checking papers like the 2018 American Gestapo. (yes, this is happening right in front of me). So when you hear Trump talk about how he loves the kids and the kids have nothing to worry about you can rest assured that he's full of shit.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rgency-surgery
            Thanks for your views. It's nice to learn about things from someone who has direct experience.

Personally I think Trump is using the enforcement tactics as a political stratagem to bring the Dems to the table. He's essentially stating if you don't want to work with me this is what's going to happen. Whether morally right or wrong it's a political tactic used by both sides to jump start negotiations. Judging from the last couple of weeks it may have worked. Trump is willing to compromise on the Dreamers in trade for other concessions by the left. I'm not with Trump on chain migration as it pertains to immediate family, but I'd wager Trump would soften that stance in exchange for building a wall and getting rid of the lottery. I'm not wild about the wall but I'd accept it to help the Dreamers and get other sensible measures in place.

Comment

• I like this.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...t-january-2018

Comment

• Church releases a statement on DACA:

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Comment

• mic drop on that issue
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Church releases a statement on DACA:

Comment

100% agree. Obama head faked on DACA and instead became the worst president ever re: immigration. Trump can’t stand to see Obama be the superlative anything so he invented even worse policy.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Trump did more than end DACA-- he ended Obama's prioritization of immigration enforcement. Under Obama, DHS had a 6-tier mandate for priority enforcement. At the top you had felons, recent entries, gang members, and so forth on down the line to people with the most time in the U.S. with no criminal contacts-- where most DACA kids would land.

Because of that, our obscenely backlogged immigration courts are now being choked with innocent kids, parents, grandmothers, etc who never committed a crime in their life. DHS prosecutors' policy re: DACA kids who are still under DACA is to obtain a removal order from an immigration judge so that the second their DACA expires they can be picked up and deported. Fantastic.

Where before prosecutors would stipulate to administrative closure of most sympathetic cases of a person in removal proceedings, they now stipulate to NOTHING. Now is the time of Trump's great power on the Earth and you see things like little girls with CP being pulled over in ambulances and detained by ICE/CBP, whereas 14 months ago that would have been quite unthinkable. So Trump's guise of 'ending Obama's unconstitutional DACA' is really just a cover up for being an utter piece of shit. He could have ended DACA and kept humane enforcement priorities, but he didn't. So it's not so much the sentiment that DACA needs a permanent, legislative solution that adds to the stress and concern of people under DACA; it's more having ICE out knocking doors checking papers like the 2018 American Gestapo. (yes, this is happening right in front of me). So when you hear Trump talk about how he loves the kids and the kids have nothing to worry about you can rest assured that he's full of shit.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rgency-surgery
                          Unbelievable people are defending this obvious racism

Comment

• here's a funny little satire piece about the stock market, that if you read the comments, obviously goes completely over the heads of Trump supporters.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ain-2018-01-29

Comment

• TRUMP CAMPAIGN AIDE CARTER PAGE MAY HAVE BEEN RUSSIAN AGENT, JUSTICE DEPARTMENT BELIEVED, ACCORDING TO NUNES MEMO

President Donald Trump’s Justice Department had reason to suspect that former Trump campaign associate Carter Page was a Russian agent, according to a Republican memo.
                              [...]
                              http://www.newsweek.com/trump-campai...artment-793554

I don't get it... why are the dems pushing back on releasing this memo?
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-campai...artment-793554

I don't get it... why are the dems pushing back on releasing this memo?
                                Good point. Besides Nunes' best efforts at distorting the facts associated with it, it will ultimately come back to hurt the Republicans and Nunes will still end up looking like a clown.

Comment

Working...
                                X