Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elon Musk is sounding very Drumpf-like these days on the tweeter... calling out fake news:

Now apparently he is going to create his own fact checking, journalists' credibility ranking site.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      Oh man, Dear Leader isn't allowed to keep some people from commenting on his twitter feed? Geez, what's this world coming to?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/23/medi...ers/index.html
      "We hold that portions of the @realDonaldTrump account -- the 'interactive space' where Twitter users may directly engage with the content of the President's tweets -- are properly analyzed under the "'public forum' doctrines set forth by the Supreme Court, that such space is a designated public forum, and that the blocking of the plaintiffs based on their political speech constitutes viewpoint discrimination that violates the First Amendment," Buchwald wrote.
      LOL... this judge just declared twitter to be a public forum. Therefore, twitter can't ban users or block any speech (including what they consider hate speech) posted on their site. In fact, this may apply to social media in general. Hey, someone needs to let the dumbasses over on Cougarboard know when they ban users they may be violating the first amendment.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        LOL... this judge just declared twitter to be a public forum. Therefore, twitter can't ban users or block any speech (including what they consider hate speech) posted on their site. In fact, this may apply to social media in general. Hey, someone needs to let the dumbasses over on Cougarboard know when they ban users they may be violating the first amendment.
        I'm not a lawyer, but maybe the ruling has something to do with the fact that he is the POTUS. In other words, that twitter account is now "ours;" it's a public institution.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Oh man, Dear Leader isn't allowed to keep some people from commenting on his twitter feed? Geez, what's this world coming to?

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/23/medi...ers/index.html
          I wish he didn't even have an account, but so do most people. This ruling still confuses me. Lately, the First Amendment seems to be interpreted pretty narrowly, and I'm not sure how a person blocking people from his feed violates it. Obviously, the court ruled that it applied because he is the POTUS, but what about his status renders him unable to block people without violating their constitutional rights? Does this apply to any elected official, down to, say, a school board member? That's really where the ruling confuses me: where does the application stop? Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the ruling; I just don't understand it or it's implied boundaries. Any of you constitutional scholars willing to help a guy out?
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

The ruling is about the President's twitter, not just anyone's. He doesn't have to tweet, but when he chooses to communicate that way, because of his office and existing law that governs that office, it's property of the US and therefore comments about it are subject to First Amendment protection.

I wonder if you'd been opposed if the ruling came out under the previous president: #whataboutobama

Of course you wouldn't.

Also, any real libertarian would care about allowing free speech on the public forums of the US government.
            Last edited by BlueK; 05-24-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              I wish he didn't even have an account, but so do most people. This ruling still confuses me. Lately, the First Amendment seems to be interpreted pretty narrowly, and I'm not sure how a person blocking people from his feed violates it. Obviously, the court ruled that it applied because he is the POTUS, but what about his status renders him unable to block people without violating their constitutional rights? Does this apply to any elected official, down to, say, a school board member? That's really where the ruling confuses me: where does the application stop? Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the ruling; I just don't understand it or it's implied boundaries. Any of you constitutional scholars willing to help a guy out?
              By existing statutes, the President's public statements belong to the US. I think that has a lot to do with it. As such, he doesn't get to pick and choose what speech is allowed to comment on statements he puts out there himself on a public forum.
              Last edited by BlueK; 05-24-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

By existing statutes, the President's public statements belong to the US. I think that has a lot to do with it. As such, he doesn't get to pick and choose what speech is allowed to comment on statements he puts out there himself on a public forum.
                That makes sense. Thanks. As an aside, it's amazing that we've allowed such a small, thin-skinned person to become the president. I don't have twitter comments with as much vitriol responding to my tweets, but I've never even thought of blocking people who slam me because they disagree. It's twitter, for crying out loud.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  That makes sense. Thanks. As an aside, it's amazing that we've allowed such a small, thin-skinned person to become the president. I don't have twitter comments with as much vitriol responding to my tweets, but I've never even thought of blocking people who slam me because they disagree. It's twitter, for crying out loud.
                  I also doubt it's just people slamming him that he was probably wanting to block. A lot of it was satire, I'm sure. But there is no reason to think he wouldn't also want to block calm, well-reasoned debunking arguments that make his nonsensical statements look stupid.

Comment

The ruling is about the President's twitter, not just anyone's. He doesn't have to tweet, but when he chooses to communicate that way, because of his office and existing law that governs that office, it's property of the US and therefore subject to First Amendment protection.

I wonder if you'd been opposed if the ruling came out under the previous president: #whataboutobama

Of course you wouldn't.

Also, any real libertarian would care about allowing free speech on the public forums of the US government.
                    Yes, I would like to see those 30,000+ missing emails from SoS Hillary's server! What happened to those again?

There might be some interesting ones about new yoga routines and Chelsea's wedding plans!
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, I would like to see those 30,000+ missing emails from SoS Hillary's server! What happened to those again?

There might be some interesting ones about new yoga routines and Chelsea's wedding plans!
                      Ask Trump to get them for you from his Russian friends.

Comment

• I wonder now if everyone is still saying Trump deserves the Nobel Prize...
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Ask Trump to get them for you from his Russian friends.
                          Was Hillary's email password "p@ssw0rd" too?
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            I wonder now if everyone is still saying Trump deserves the Nobel Prize...
                            Yeah, Drumpf may deserve some other kind of prize instead... He got Kim Long-dung to release the American hostages prisoners and destroy their nuclear development site without even meeting and giving him anything:

North Korea Said It Destroyed Nuclear Site, Hours Before Trump Cancelled Meeting

North Korea said on Thursday that it had destroyed its only known nuclear test site, three weeks before its leader, Kim Jong-un, had been planning to meet with President Trump.

Hours after the North Korean announcement, Mr. Trump announced he had canceled the meeting “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed by Mr. Kim’s government in recent statements.
                            [...]
                            https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/world/asia/north-korea-shuts-nuclear-test-site.html
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sure glad you’re focused on her instead of the shitbird in the White House. Did you read on 4chan or Twitter about how Tillerson wanted to designate Russia a state sponsor of terror before he was fired?

Comment

• These coins were minted prematurely:

Former Trump aide mocks 'idiot' who ordered commemorative coins for Kim summit

A former adviser to President Trump's 2016 campaign mocked the White House for making commemorative coins to mark the now-canceled nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...mit/ar-AAxKL5a

back_of_coin.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X