Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    What was the tweet she was referencing? It has been removed.
    I don't remember the exact phrasing, but essentially "why do black people marry white people, what's wrong with them??!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      What was the tweet she was referencing? It has been removed.
      The internet never forgets...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• "And keep your damn spyware filled phones and equipment off our networks..."

Exclusive: Trump expected to sign order paving way for U.S. telecoms ban on Huawei

President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order this week barring U.S. companies from using telecommunications equipment made by firms posing a national security risk, paving the way for a ban on doing business with China’s Huawei, three U.S. officials familiar with the plan told Reuters.

The order, which will not name specific countries or companies, has been under consideration for more than a year but has repeatedly been delayed, the sources said, asking not to be named because the preparations remain confidential. It could be delayed again, they said.

The executive order would invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which gives the president the authority to regulate commerce in response to a national emergency that threatens the United States. The order will direct the Commerce Department, working with other government agencies, to draw up a plan for enforcement, the sources said.
        [...]
        https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SK2P1
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• One last post, (not that anyone cares) just to provide at least one published resource that has the same arguments laid out for anyone interested in more in depth reading. Note the use of the word "institutions" instead of my previous use of "traditions". Also "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt has many of the same arguments in a book length non-technical text.

If our tribal social instincts hypothesis is correct, complex societies would have evolved under the constraints and possibilities offered by our evolved social psychology.The rapid social changes of the last few thousand years should throw our social instincts into high relief. Cultural evolution should have produced institutions that conspicuously work around the constraints imposed by a psychology adapted to relatively small scale egalitarian societies. Institutions should evolve to take advantage of the pro-group commitments the tribal instincts make possible and finesse the conflict between egalitarian impulses and the stratification and command and control ubiquitous in complex societies. One of the most striking features of complex societies, including modern societies, is the persistence of tribal scale social institutions and the elaboration of institutions such as nationalism that utilize mass media to simulate tribes on a larger scale. Business organizations, schools, religions, and government bureaucracies generally contain features that tap or respond to our propensity to commit to tribes or reasonable facsimiles. The persistence of ethnic sentiments in a large-scale modern world that would seem to make them obsolete is an example (Glazer and Moynihan 1975).
          In modern complex societies, specialized institutions engage in various parts of the innovation process. Universities and other research institutions create and test new ideas. Marketing systems spread the word. Governments pass laws to implement new ideas (or to forbid their use) based on some assessment of the needs of society as a whole. Think of the effort that the biomedical innovation system mounted to address the AIDS epidemic. Trust in these collective institutions is built via patriotic sentiments and the use of rules that we feel are fair, such as secret balloting to chose leaders. As our feelings of trust reach their limits or as they begin to falter because experience teaches cynicism, so too does the capacity of collective institutions to function(Fukuyama, 1995). Conflicts between individual, kin and friendship based commitments and group oriented goals are ever-present in human societies and the functionality of tribal and larger scale institutions is always an issue (Edgerton 1992), but the fact that human societies can often successfully use collective action to solve problems is a most striking adaptation consistent with the existence of tribal instincts and the subjective commitments to groups they make possible.
          A great many disasters result from the poor management of inter-group conflict, often because passionate commitments to the group drive reason from political discourse.
          Whether at the scale of nation-states or local street gangs, tribal and tribal-analog loyalties provide social cleavages that easily escalate into lethal violence.
          The most murderous forms of intrasocietal violence in modern societies involve civil conflicts between tribal or tribe mimicking factions.
          The struggles between interest groups in open political systems involve an even more diverse set of groups.
          Few men and fewer women will commit murder in pursuit of personal goals, to advance their families interests, or to help a friend, except in defense against murder by another. Those who do kill for such low motives we stigmatize as criminal. However, most men—women have not been so well tested—will kill their group’s enemies with relatively little reluctance, without being personally provoked, and at grave risk to their own safety.
          The existence of a tribal level of organization is the most striking derived feature of human social organization. It has no close analog in other animals. It is fundamental to our adaptations to the environments we have lived in. We make our livings in a staggeringly diversity of ways, but a common thread running across the gamut is the use of symbolically marked groups as foci of cooperation, coordination, and the division of labor. The tribal instincts hypothesis proposes that innate human predispositions to commit to their in groups arose by coevolution with group selected cultural institutions. We are adapted to living in tribes, and the social institutions of tribes elicit strong—sometimes fanatical—commitment. The instincts themselves we think of as being on the model of the principles of the Chomskian “principles and parameters” model of language. The instincts themselves constrain the kinds of societies humans can evolve, but alone are not a complete explanation of our social organization. The nature of the tribes that we commit to, the kinds of commitments we make, and the strength of those commitments all depend upon the cultural traditions that define the group and its institutions. Through the evolution of work-arounds in the last few thousand years, institutions have evolved that recruit the tribal subjective commitment to far larger and very different social systems than the tribe as the concept is understood by anthropologists.

Comment

• It's really cool that Trump and Bolton are steering us into a conflict with Iran. I'm sure the pacifists like Walter, and Moli will be chiming in with concerns and analysis shortly.

Honestly though, he's acting like more like a mad king every day. Between this and the escalating trade war with China, it's increasingly less logical to pretend Trump is semi-competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              "And keep your damn spyware filled phones and equipment off our networks..."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SK2P1
              Until Trump gives up his unsecured iPhone, he can go blow goats.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                Until Trump gives up his unsecured iPhone, he can go blow goats.
                There is no such thing as an unsecured iPhone... You must be thinking of Android-based phones.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  It's really cool that Trump and Bolton are steering us into a conflict with Iran. I'm sure the pacifists like Walter, and Moli will be chiming in with concerns and analysis shortly.

Honestly though, he's acting like more like a mad king every day. Between this and the escalating trade war with China, it's increasingly less logical to pretend Trump is semi-competent.

I definitely don't want a war with Iran. There, I said it. Hopefully the 25 people that look at this site are persuaded enough by my opinion that it leads to Trump backing off.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Oh goodie Trump wants poor picked-on alt-righties to let him when they've been censored on social media. What fucking a dimwit catering to sensative snowflakes:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/15/1...s-social-media

On Wednesday, the White House launched a new tool for people to use if they feel they’ve been wrongly censored, banned, or suspended on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.

“Too many Americans have seen their accounts suspended, banned, or fraudulently reported for unclear ‘violations’ of user policies,” the site reads. “No matter your views, if you suspect political bias caused such an action to be taken against you, share your story with President Trump.”

Over the past few months, Republicans have taken aim at social media networks, citing claims that conservatives have been wrongly censored on these platforms. Some committees, like House Energy and Commerce and Senate Judiciary, have even held hearings on the issue where lawmakers questioned officials from companies like Facebook and Twitter over the alleged bias.

The outrage started last April when the House Judiciary Committee invited pro-Trump online personalities Diamond and Silk to discuss being “censored” on social media. This spun off into the Senate where Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) later made it a key policy issue by holding a hearing with Facebook and Twitter executives to discuss the alleged bias. Only two Democrats attended the hearing where other Republicans like Sens. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) questioned the representatives on why specific posts from their offices or from conservative films were taken down.

Just last month, President Trump met with Twitter founder and CEO Jack Dorsey. Twitter representatives said that the meeting was supposed to focus on what the platform was doing to aid the opioid epidemic and discuss the health of the platform, but it was later reported that Trump spent a significant portion of their 30-minute discussion complaining that he was losing followers.

Other members of the Trump family, like Don Jr., have also voiced concern of the deplatforming of right-wing activists. In a tweet last month, President Trump’s eldest son wrote “The purposeful & calculated silencing of conservatives on Facebook & the rest of the Big Tech monopoly men should terrify everyone,” after Facebook announced that it would banning conspiracy theorist Alex Jones along with other far-right pundits and activists.

The tool, which is hosted on Typeform, asks users for screenshots and links of the offending content, and provides a text field where users can describe the enforcement actions taken against them. The user is also asked to choose between Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube or “other” as the platform where the offense took place. (Facebook and Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

Comment

It's really cool that Trump and Bolton are steering us into a conflict with Iran. I'm sure the pacifists like Walter, and Moli will be chiming in with concerns and analysis shortly.

War with Iran will be great. Iran has lots of oil so we can liberate them of it. The war will pay for itself. It's a slam dunk.

Same with Venezuela. Lots of oil. Another slam dunk.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                        War with Iran will be great. Iran has lots of oil so we can liberate them of it. The war will pay for itself. It's a slam dunk.

OMG we finally agree!

Comment

Oh goodie Trump wants poor picked-on alt-righties to let him when they've been censored on social media. What fucking a dimwit catering to sensative snowflakes:

Yeah, free speech is overrated!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            OMG we finally agree!
                            Now go and get President Trump to partake.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

We don’t need Iran’s oil. Texas now has the largest oil producing field in the world and it’s ramping up big time.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                We don’t need Iran’s oil. Texas now has the largest oil producing field in the world and it’s ramping up big time.
                                I don't think it's about oil nearly as much as it is about John Bolton just being a fan of war.

Comment

Working...
                                X