Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I think this situation perfectly illustrates the hypocrisy in politics. The problem here is that congress doesn't have the nerve or ability to advocate for and adopt decriminalization measures, which include revisions to a host of federal statutes, so they allowed an executive to direct a lack of enforcement of those laws. This allows states to do what they want with no political danger for congressman but also encourages disrespect for the law and proper process. It boggles my mind that we think Sessions or Trump is at fault here. It amazes me that a Senator from Colorado is incensed that the federal government would enforce its laws, the very laws that the Senate passed! Look, if we want to decriminalize it then we should decriminalize as opposed to un-enforce. The current approach is nothing more than looking the other way most of the time while leaving open the occasional instance of selective enforcement (which then allows racists and jerks to act like such while doing so entirely within the law). We could also leave it up to the states to do what they want, which is what Trump first said on the campaign trail. But any of the proper solutions requires congress to have the courage of its convictions and to legislate from a leadership role, instead of from a following role. Either way, it should never be the president's or the DOJ's job to decide which set of laws to enforce or which ones to ignore. They should enforce all the laws to the extent possible. It is Congress' job to create or amend the laws.

I think Ted's point was that this will force Congress to finally decide if it is going to decrim or not. Which it should have done a long time ago.
    there was nothing wrong with the look the other way policy. It worked just fine

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      Which other laws are you okay if the government looks the other way on?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Which other laws are you okay if the government looks the other way on?
        anything that makes logical sense. It does it on dozens of things already. Do you want every illegal immigrant deported?

Comment

No it doesn’t. It is a completely wrongheaded approach in our system. We like to say we are a system of laws and we should be and we can only succeed when we are. The ‘look the other way’ approach is absolutely the opposite of that ideal. It was created because congress was hamstrung between those for and against decrim and so refused to act and because we had an administration who wanted to be popular among its base and so just went ahead and told justice to act like congress had acted. This undermines the legitimacy of not only drug laws but of ALL federal laws you might disagree with. But it simultaneously and ironically still undermines the states rights position because states can only do what justice chooses to allow them to do not as a result of a legislated limit but as a result of an arbitrary choice by justice itself! Plus, the laws can also be arbitrarily enforced as a punitive measure or a selective measure to coerce unrelated behaviors. Taken together this creates an environment where respect for our laws, law enforcement and our system itself is lost.

I think weed should be decriminalized but only if done through the system. As it stands now, we are losing the system and it’s legitimacy in a haze of smoke.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

anything that makes logical sense. It does it on dozens of things already. Do you want every illegal immigrant deported?
            No. I want laws that make sense. This is another good example.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

No. But I'd prefer a law well written and enforced, as opposed one that is poorly written and therefore ignored.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You know, honestly, I am surprised you think this is a fine approach. This is a greater threat to the balance of powers in our government than almost all of the other things we whine about put together. Like currency, the notions of balanced powers and of a fair process only work if we believe in them. Selective non-enforcement completely undermines faith in our laws and steals both the power and responsibility of congress (and thus the people) and imbues it in the executive which, as we have seen in this cycle, may not be the best place for it.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I think Creek is right on this one.
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    I think Creek is right on this one.
                    As do I. The current do nothing look the other way disregards the rule of law. Congress should do its duty and make some decisions.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Lots of people in Trump world cry and/or beg for their job back after getting fired:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Lots of people in Trump world cry and/or beg for their job back after getting fired:

Not sure an eighth-grader could improve on that tweet.

Saw an interview with the author this morning. Sounds like an interesting book.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Not sure an eighth-grader could improve on that tweet.

Saw an interview with the author this morning. Sounds like an interesting book.
                          I got in the waiting list for the book from the library this morning. They had 20 copies at that time, I was#663 on the waiting list. May not be reading it for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            I got in the waiting list for the book from the library this morning. They had 20 copies at that time, I was#663 on the waiting list. May not be reading it for a while.
                            In the interview they asked him what he thought about Trump threatening to sue him to keep the book from being released to the public. He said he was thrilled. Best possible marketing.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              In the interview they asked him what he thought about Trump threatening to sue him to keep the book from being released to the public. He said he was thrilled. Best possible marketing.
                              Totally. I really don't care for politics at all, but this seemed like fun. I mainly read fiction, so maybe I am not deviating too far from that with this book anyway.

Comment

• The book raises (or adds fuel to) a number of concerns about Drumpf, but I was reassured by one of his early morning tweets today:

Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.
                                A sixth grader could not have responded with greater eloquence, but then he's, like, really smart.

Comment

Working...
                                X