Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't think that's Trump's philosophy on international relations? Seems pretty accurate to me. Tell us why you think it's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      I'm sorry I'm so unbalanced and crazy.
      No apology necessary. But there are meds available.

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Cool. Cool. So what part of the pride cycle are we sitting at right now and will I see unmitigated death and sweeping destruction in my lifetime or will that be just my kids?
      Nope. Not irrationally melodramatic at all.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        When it comes to politics and global affairs you've abandoned rationality a long time ago. That's ok, a lot of conservatives are doing that these days.
        Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        You don't think that's Trump's philosophy on international relations? Seems pretty accurate to me. Tell us why you think it's not.
        A rational approach to global affairs has been absent from the US for some time now. I loved that "iconic" photo of President Trump sitting cross-armed in front of Merkel. The triggered libs decorated it with a high chair and a bowl of spaghetti on President Trump's head. In actuality, it sends a very powerful message to our friends across the pond. We are done footing the NATO bill and paying for the defense of our EU allies. We are done humoring the EU's protectionist trade policies. At the G7, President Trump suggested setting up a free trade zone throughout Europe. Guess who didn't like that idea so much? Yeah, our EU allies. What they want instead is to continue the free ride at our expense. To this, President Trump sits with his arms crossed. America first.

If Chancellor Merkel doesn't like it, then well... tough! Germany is welcome to take over as the leader of the free world; and Germany is welcome to foot the bill as being the world's police force. (Although some may take exception to permanently stationed German troops and German bases in their countries.)
        Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 06-11-2018, 06:27 PM.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          A rational approach to global affairs has been absent from the US for some time now. I loved that "iconic" photo of President Trump sitting cross-armed in front of Merkel. The triggered libs decorated it with a high chair and a bowl of spaghetti on President Trump's head. In actuality, it sends a very powerful message to our friends across the pond. We are done footing the NATO bill and paying for the defense of our EU allies. We are done humoring the EU's protectionist trade policies. At the G7, President Trump suggested setting up a free trade zone throughout Europe. Guess who didn't like that idea so much? Yeah, our EU allies. What they want instead is to continue the free ride at our expense. To this, President Trump sits with his arms crossed. America first.

If Chancellor Merkel doesn't like it, then well... tough! Germany is welcome to take over as the leader of the free world; and Germany is welcome to foot the bill as being the world's police force. (Although some may take exception to permanently stationed German troops and German bases in their countries.)
          I doubt any rational person countenances T's approach to foreign affairs, but Frank applauds the typical Democratic approach which is one of capitulation and apologies. Foreign policy is a messy business requiring lots of study and willingness to take hard stands. The last Democrat with sensible foreign policy was probably FDR and maybe JFK could have developed a better sense as he learned from the Bay of Pigs.

But look at Truman, Carter, Clinton and Obama. None of them were brilliant or particularly successful. Truman gets more credit than he deserves and rode the coattails of FDR, who certainly wasn't perfect but had better sense of details than did Truman. Carter was a disaster, Clinton gave us Somalia and Bosnia. Obama didn't get much right.

The bar for recent foreign policy successes is set very low. And T is so dumb he may crawl under those lowly standards.

Contrast the Dems with the GOP. Nixon opened China, a major success, ended the Vietnam War, late but still ended it. Reagan successfully negotiated the end to the Iron Curtain. Bush 1 brought a successful coalition to get Hussain out of Kuwait.

Not going to rave about Bush 2 as he was mediocre.

Dems complaining about foreign relations is an effort to divert attention from their own abysmal record. And yet, 45 might pull off a coup if something materializes in the Korean Peninsula. We'll wait and see.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Isn't it strange that within a 24-hour period the Trump administration has observed that there's "a special place in hell" for the Canadian prime minister, while speaking glowingly of a North Korean dictator who has brutally starved, murdered and/or imprisoned hundreds of thousands of his own people while threatening the U.S. with nuclear annihilation?

This sounds snarkier than I intend, but Walter, is this the rational approach to foreign affairs you've been pining for?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Isn't it strange that within a 24-hour period the Trump administration has observed that there's "a special place in hell" for the Canadian prime minister, while speaking glowingly of a North Korean dictator who has brutally starved, murdered and/or imprisoned hundreds of thousands of his own people while threatening the U.S. with nuclear annihilation?

This sounds snarkier than I intend, but Walter, is this the rational approach to foreign affairs you've been pining for?
              The days of the U.S. taking everybody's shit are over!!!!! OVER!!!!
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• You would prefer we lob some missiles into NK instead?

Unlike most suffering from TDS, I totally welcome the peace process.

Comment

Isn't it strange that within a 24-hour period the Trump administration has observed that there's "a special place in hell" for the Canadian prime minister, while speaking glowingly of a North Korean dictator who has brutally starved, murdered and/or imprisoned hundreds of thousands of his own people while threatening the U.S. with nuclear annihilation?

About sums it up:

Comment

You would prefer we lob some missiles into NK instead?

Peace is good.

But this is not consistent with wanting to go stir up some conflict with countries that are friendly to us.

Comment

• this discussion makes me want to shut my nuts in a car door
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        Peace is good. So let's go stir up some conflict with countries who are friendly to us.
                        Oh, brother. Canada, France, Germany, et al know which side their bread is buttered on.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          this discussion makes me want to shut my nuts in a car door
                          What’s stopping you? Come back and report.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

You would prefer we lob some missiles into NK instead?

Calling the current weirdness "the peace process" lends it an undeserved dignity. But sure, it's possible this will end well, although I'm skeptical of the "this is so crazy it just might work" approach to problem solving.

Comment

Calling the current weirdness "the peace process" lends it an undeserved dignity. But sure, it's possible this will end well, although I'm skeptical of the "this is so crazy it just might work" approach to problem solving.
                              OMG. Ok, whatever, dude. Peace process, peace framework, peace undertaking, peace activity, peace pipe... just LMK what your acceptable term is. I'd hate to offend your dignified sensibilities again.

Comment

OMG. Ok, whatever, dude. Peace process, peace framework, peace undertaking, peace activity, peace pipe... just LMK what your acceptable term is. I'd hate to offend your dignified sensibilities again.
                                Speaking of taking offense for no reason...

Comment

Working...
                                X