Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillerson is out.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      Tillerson is out.
      Tullerson doesn’t even know why he was fired and it sounds like Trump didn’t even tell him he was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Tullerson doesn’t even know why he was fired and it sounds like Trump didn’t even tell him he was fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Was it because he contradicted Sarah Huckleberry Sanders by coming out with a strong statement against Russia on the nerve agent attack in Britain after Sanders pulled out the usual "we don't know if the Russians are behind it" Trumpian nonsense? Even if it's not the reason or part of the reason, the timing is weird.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/polit...ack/index.html
        Last edited by BlueK; 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          Was it because he contradicted Sarah Huckleberry Sanders by coming out with a strong statement against Russia on the nerve agent attack in Britain after Sanders pulled out the usual "we don't know if the Russians are behind it" Trumpian nonsense? Even if it's not the reason or part of the reason, the timing is weird.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/polit...ack/index.html
          I think it’s beyond dispute that Trump and co. are limp-dicked to anything Russia does while being willing to pick a fight with global allies over insignificant disagreements.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            I think it’s beyond dispute that Trump and co. are limp-dicked to anything Russia does while being willing to pick a fight with global allies over insignificant disagreements.
            Disagree. Stormy Daniels has nothing on Russia as far as getting Trump hard.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I was no fan of Tillerson, but according to a friend who works in an off-shoot of the DOS, he's intelligent, thoughtful, measured...and a gentleman. It was those very qualities that put him and his leadership of DOS at odds with the President, who time and again threw him under the bus. Not to mention the his only crime was telling the truth--that Trump is a moron. Now, there goes the only reasonable and stable cabinet member of this Administration. How insane it is, when the former CEO of Exxon/Mobil is the adult in the room.

Presidential incompetence at its very finest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Disagree. Stormy Daniels has nothing on Russia as far as getting Trump hard.
                We may find out, if she really has the pics!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Remember when Trump used to mock Obama for too much turnover in his White House staff? Good times.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Remember when Trump used to mock Obama for too much turnover in his White House staff? Good times.
                    it’s basically axiomatic at this point that if trump does it there’s a trump tweet to indict it
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      it’s basically axiomatic at this point that if trump does it there’s a trump tweet to indict it
                      I was going to say the same thing but with more words. It's pretty entertaining that for every thing Trump does, or for every position he takes, one can find a contradictory statement or position over the past 30 years.

My particular favorite contradiction is his steadfast claim, supported strongly by most on the evangelical right, that he's never misbehaved toward women (of course, his future in that regard appears stormy). In addition to the Entertainment Tonight boast, his observation to Chris Matthews in the late '90s that he could never run for president because he had women problems far greater than those of Bill Clinton was a regretfully unfulfilled prophecy.

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I've been listening to the Ron Chernow biography of Grant (40+ hours!!!) and I'm struck by the similarities between the presidencies of Andrew Johnson and Donald Trump. One notable the self-aggrandizement and victimization that has no grounding in reality.

On February 22, 1866, Johnson delivered what he termed “extemporaneous remarks” to celebrate George Washington’s birthday. They stretched on at epic length, despite Johnson occasionally suggesting he planned to wrap up. (Readers of the text will note his use of phrases, “I have talked longer now than I intended” and “I have detained you longer than I intended,” only to be followed by hundreds of additional words.)

The address displays all Johnson’s flaws, including rampant egotism (“Who, I ask, has suffered more for the Union than I have?”), paranoia (“…before our brave men have scarcely returned to their homes to renew the ties of affection and love, we find ourselves almost in the midst of another rebellion”), and general deep resentment. Indeed, after strongly implying his political enemies were traitors, he happily named them: “I say Thaddeus Stevens, of Pennsylvania. I say Charles Sumner. I say Wendell Phillips, and others of the same stripe, are among them.”

Stevens and Sumner had supported the Union, were still in Congress and belonged to the same political party as Johnson.

Oh, and Johnson suggested people were coming to kill him. (“I make use of a very strong expression when I say that I have no doubt the intention was to incite assassination.”)

On March 27, Johnson vetoed the civil rights bill. He stated it was unacceptable to offer blacks more than the government had “ever provided the white race.” The Republican Congress overrode his veto. Less than a year into his term, he was in an open war with his own party.
                          Johnsons' meeting with Frederick Douglass sounds a lot like Trump.

On February 7, 1866, Douglass and other black leaders came to lobby for a civil rights bill. Johnson inexplicably chose to tell them about his days as a slave owner, noting he was so kind to his slaves that he was “their slave instead of their being mine.” Johnson also informed them the bill troubled him because if blacks got the vote, it would result in poor whites being essentially kept “in slavery.” (Again, Douglass had experienced actual slavery—during a particularly brutal chapter in his life he suffered daily whippings.)
                          How Grant was used by Johnson reminds me a lot of how Trump has used respected military authorities like Mattis, Kelly, and McMasters. The comparisons aren't exact, but a good reminder that we've had some pretty awful people occupy the office during perilous times and we still came out okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            I've been listening to the Ron Chernow biography of Grant (40+ hours!!!) and I'm struck by the similarities between the presidencies of Andrew Johnson and Donald Trump. One notable the self-aggrandizement and victimization that has no grounding in reality.

Johnsons' meeting with Frederick Douglass sounds a lot like Trump.

How Grant was used by Johnson reminds me a lot of how Trump has used respected military authorities like Mattis, Kelly, and McMasters. The comparisons aren't exact, but a good reminder that we've had some pretty awful people occupy the office during perilous times and we still came out okay.
                            Both are terrible presidents for some of the same reasons. Interesting historical perspective.

Comment

• I'm about as far into Grant as YO and, as he notes, it's hard not to draw comparisons with where we are today. One of the most striking differences is how both Lincoln and Grant went to great lengths not to humiliate their opposition, and to avoid any self-aggrandizing statements or behaviors. Despite defeating the South with overwhelming force, Grant was admired in the South for the gracious way he treated Lee and his forces. Had Lincoln and Grant been able to oversee reconstruction, our history (including things like Jim Crow, the civil rights movement, etc.) would have likely been very different, and much less fraught, than what Andrew Johnson set in motion. I'm genuinely concerned that Trump will have the same type of effect on our history.

Comment

• From a fundraising speech:

He accused Japan of using gimmicks to deny U.S. auto companies access to their consumers, said South Korea was taking advantage of outdated trade rules even though its economy was strong and said China had single-handedly rebuilt itself on the back of its trade surplus with the United States.

“It’s the bowling ball test. They take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and drop it on the hood of the car,” Trump said of Japan. “If the hood dents, the car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible,” he said. It was unclear what he was talking about.
                                Is it ever clear what he’s talking about?
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X