Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I am being serious (and don't call my Shirley). You want to start with the ME? OK, then.
    Iraq
    Syria
    Yemen
    Afghanistan

Any immigrant person originating from these countries should be automatically admitted to the US out of courtesy for having a hand in fucking up their country.

(Also, a shout-out to Iran... who had the good sense to kick us out after getting tired of fucking up/with their country.)

Where to next? Asia, Africa?
    That list is funny. Yeah, those countries were in fantastic shape before the USA screwed thing up! Friggin’ gardens of eden.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      Okay, that's a far cry from 150. I'm very sympathetic to your position, especially when it comes to Iraq (particularly those that worked with the US over the years). The other three are debatable since they were basket cases before the U.S. got involved. But those that have worked with us should get special consideration.
      It's not like the US is the first, second or even third most responsible party for the state of affairs in Syria. Yemen is also massively complicated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        Man trumps trade advisors are as dumb on trade as trump. True idiots
        Peter Navarro is the main one now, with to a lesser extent Wilbur Ross. Navarro is a lifelong protectionist liberal democrat. He was brought onto the administration specifically because Trump had his son-in-law search for someone who would emulate Trump's ignorant protectionist biases he's held for 30+ years. It was very difficult to find anyone in the economics field who held such views because trade is an area where there is near unanimity that free trade is best, regardless of whether it's a politically liberal or conservative economist. So that's who they were able to dig up. Navarro has written some books arguing for the protectionist side, but it makes one wonder if that's mostly because there's a market for that view among the general population that was not being "served" because it's so hard to find a protectionist economist these days.

For the first year or so Trump has been held back from fully jumping into his worst protectionist impulses by several other free trade leaning advisers around him, but they're pretty much all gone now.
        Last edited by BlueK; 07-05-2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Should ring some alarm bells. If nothing else, Trump will accidentally share a bunch of sensitive intel. It will be interesting to see what Trump does re. foreign policy over the month or so following his meeting with his boss.
          This is likely going to be a bonanza for Putin.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sian-president

We'll see what happens, but after this summit we should really know whether we need to move past the denial stage when it comes to wondering if Trump is purposely pursuing a pro-Russia/anti-Western Europe foreign policy. And hopefully Republicans can finally move into a more productive conversation about whether that's a good idea.
          Last edited by BlueK; 07-05-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I am being serious (and don't call my Shirley). You want to start with the ME? OK, then.
            Iraq
            Syria
            Yemen
            Afghanistan

Any immigrant person originating from these countries should be automatically admitted to the US out of courtesy for having a hand in fucking up their country.

(Also, a shout-out to Iran... who had the good sense to kick us out after getting tired of fucking up/with their country.)

Where to next? Asia, Africa?
            This post makes me sad. You and I had found so much common ground recently. Oh well. I have no idea what you mean by arguing that a "military presence" has screwed up these countries. The british did more to screw these places up before world war II than we have done since. And dont leave out the Soviets whjen you talk about Afghanistan. In fact, I think you can argue that we have had a pretty positive influence on a lot of these places.

In my mind, especially as it relates to immigration, the place we have screwed up is Latin America, and especially Central America. Sometimes from a military presence but more often from political influence peddling and from CIA/clandestine interference. Things like placing General Rios Mont in power in Guatemala. We have made a mess of our own backyard. Over and over again. As far as the ME goes, we are just one of the players there, historically speaking, and the place has been a mess for centuries.

It is easy to condemn the USA, of course, but we must also fairly evaluate the positive influence we have had in many of these places.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              after this summit we should really know whether we need to move past the denial stage when it comes to wondering if Trump is purposely pursuing a pro-Russia/anti-Western Europe foreign policy.
              Pretty sure after this summit, no matter the outcome, you'll be here sharing with us the most apocalyptic take imaginable.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              This post makes me sad. You and I had found so much common ground recently. Oh well. I have no idea what you mean by arguing that a "military presence" has screwed up these countries. The british did more to screw these places up before world war II than we have done since. And dont leave out the Soviets whjen you talk about Afghanistan. In fact, I think you can argue that we have had a pretty positive influence on a lot of these places.
              "Had a hand" ... jesus, I don't give a shit about other countries (the Brits, the Russians, et al) as I'm not a citizen there. But let me help you out... we have had a very heavy presence in Afghanistan since 2001 for fuck's sake.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              In my mind, especially as it relates to immigration, the place we have screwed up is Latin America, and especially Central America. Sometimes from a military presence but more often from political influence peddling and from CIA/clandestine interference. Things like placing General Rios Mont in power in Guatemala. We have made a mess of our own backyard. Over and over again. As far as the ME goes, we are just one of the players there, historically speaking, and the place has been a mess for centuries.
              Uh, yeah, NSS, I asked where we should go next from the ME... with regard to listing the countries that the US has fucked over, we haven't even touched Asia, Africa, and yes, Latin/South America.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Pretty sure after this summit, no matter the outcome, you'll be here sharing with us the most apocalyptic take imaginable.
                And you'll be losing your mind over it, no doubt.

Comment

And you'll be losing your mind over it, no doubt.
                  I'd rather you acted more like a realist, but you are what you are.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

"Had a hand" ... jesus, I don't give a shit about other countries (the Brits, the Russians, et al) as I'm not a citizen there. But let me help you out... we have had a very heavy presence in Afghanistan since 2001 for fuck's sake.

Uh, yeah, NSS, I asked where we should go next from the ME... with regard to listing the countries that the US has fucked over, we haven't even touched Asia, Africa, and yes, Latin/South America.
                    You're sort of wandering here. I assumed, althoiugh did not know, that you are not a citizen of RUssia or GB. But the issue is if your proposed immigration poolicy is desrieable or justified. As a refresher, here is what you proposed:

Pretty simple. If a person can prove citizenship from any of the 150 countries around the world where US troops are deployed, then they get in - no questions asked - as it is very likely the US contributed to fucking up the country enough to cause the immigration to occur.
                    Putting aside the absurd proposal itself (everyone from 150 countries admitted no questions asked) I am wondering if there is any validity to the idea that the mere fact of some sort of military deployment caused a mess that led to immigration from each of those 150 countries. I can only assume that your proposal is just to make a point because, in fact, it makes no sense and is internally inconsistent. Moreover, The USA has caused problems in a lot fo places, but the ME problems existed long before we were around and will continue for reasons that have little or nothing to do with us even if we pull out, completely, tomorrow.
                    Last edited by creekster; 07-05-2018, 12:26 PM.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      but the ME problems existed long before we were around and will continue for reasons that have little or nothing to do with us even if we pull out, completely, tomorrow.
                      Then let's do that. Duh.

Comment

Then let's do that. Duh.
                        To large degree I agree with you (although some of our interests are served by staying there to some extent, and I think we should pursue that course).
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'd rather you acted more like a realist, but you are what you are.
                          I'm being realistic by asking what is a legitimate question, which is where is Trump going with Russia and with dogging Europe, and is it a wise policy? The GOP needs to actually start discussing it. To this point it appears to me that they've been mostly in denial mode that anything is changing. Or they are at the very least avoiding talking publicly about it. Also realistically, it's highly wishful thinking that Trump is acting how he is toward Russia out of some kind of realistic wisdom.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 07-05-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I'm being realistic by asking what is a legitimate question, which is where is Trump going with Russia
                            I'll put out some suggestions from the article that I shared.

First and foremost... the article explains that compromise is inevitable, yet will still require respect for both nations’ interests.

Or in other words, the bipartisan Russia fear-mongering here in the US has just got to end. It's gotten beyond stupid. "Russia’s critics present a long bill of requirements to be met before they would relax sanctions or otherwise improve relations. Putin could save time by agreeing to be an American vassal."
                            1. End the Russia sanctions, they accomplish nothing.
                            2. Trump and Putin could make a bilateral commitment to stay out of other nations’ elections.
                            3. The two presidents should agree to mutual forbearance on supporting war (e.g. stop fucking with other countries; Russia w/ Ukraine, the US w/ {insert long list here})
                            4. Trump should propose that both countries withdraw from Syria.
                            5. addressing the faltering Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty
                            6. revisiting the soon-expiring Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty

Comment

• Trump fires Pruitt. LOL. Kidding. But Trump did accept his letter of resignation. That’s something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                                Trump fires Pruitt. LOL. Kidding. But Trump did accept his letter of resignation. That’s something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Score one for Maxine's Army!
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X