Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Well, aren't they speculating? I've seen a bunch of stories, counting the exact number of days since she was seen in public, etc. I don't see any references to FAKE NEWS or the failing New York Times. No doubt Melania takes her social media cues from DJT, but I'm not sure this is evidence he's got his thumbs on her blackberry.
    i don’t think he’s had his thumbs on her blackberry for quite some time
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Well, aren't they speculating? I've seen a bunch of stories, counting the exact number of days since she was seen in public, etc. I don't see any references to FAKE NEWS or the failing New York Times. No doubt Melania takes her social media cues from DJT, but I'm not sure this is evidence he's got his thumbs on her blackberry.
      It's not what Melania would say, in my opinion. And she seems anything but the type to be obsessed with media talk. Still, this barely registers on the importance scale compared to trying to start dopey and harmful trade wars.
      Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        well trump can certainly change his mind in 12 hours, right?
        True. But this is one of the only issues he hasn't really flip flopped on in the last 30 years. He's never been a fan of free trade. No matter what those around him try to do, he always seems to come back to his dopey tariff ideas. Also, at this point almost all of the free traders who were trying to turn him on this issue have long left the White House.
        Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Forgot to post the link. Definitely fits Trump’s tweeting style.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffp...68a94e2be9/amp

Comment

• You know, it's times like this I wonder if those who couldn't pull the lever for Killary have rethought that decision.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              You know, it's times like this I wonder if those who couldn't pull the lever for Killary have rethought that decision.
              Under the current electoral system only those in a few states have a chance to turn the election with their vote. But I can't imagine voting for any republican right now for pretty much almost any office because of how they've given in to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                Under the current electoral system only those in a few states have a chance to turn the election with their vote. But I can't imagine voting for any republican right now for pretty much almost any office because of how they've given in to him.
                I understand your practical argument. I'm more interested in the philosophical one. As in, it's likely Clinton would have been a more conservative (as was previously defined before 2016) president than Trump.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  I understand your practical argument. I'm more interested in the philosophical one. As in, it's likely Clinton would have been a more conservative (as was previously defined before 2016) president than Trump.
                  she wouldn't be trying to start trade wars.

Comment

• This is a year old now, but I don't recall seeing it before now - and in light of the Rosanne stuff, it seems relevant for today. Nothing has changed. If anything, we're just seeing more of the same and cementing patterns of response.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-trump/521472/

Though aimed at blue-state sophisticates, these shows are an unintended but powerful form of propaganda for conservatives. When Republicans see these harsh jokes—which echo down through the morning news shows and the chattering day’s worth of viral clips, along with those of Jimmy Kimmel, Stephen Colbert, and Seth Meyers—they don’t just see a handful of comics mocking them. They see HBO, Comedy Central, TBS, ABC, CBS, and NBC. In other words, they see exactly what Donald Trump has taught them: that the entire media landscape loathes them, their values, their family, and their religion. It is hardly a reach for them to further imagine that the legitimate news shows on these channels are run by similarly partisan players—nor is it at all illogical. No wonder so many of Trump’s followers are inclined to believe only the things that he or his spokespeople tell them directly—everyone else on the tube thinks they’re a bunch of trailer-park, Oxy-snorting half-wits who divide their time between retweeting Alex Jones fantasies and ironing their Klan hoods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      This is a year old now, but I don't recall seeing it before now - and in light of the Rosanne stuff, it seems relevant for today. Nothing has changed. If anything, we're just seeing more of the same and cementing patterns of response.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-trump/521472/
                      The article does make a good point. But I think the backlash is coming mostly from older folks in rural areas with lower levels of education. Wealthier republicans in the cities and suburbs I don't think are getting as easily offended by late night comedy. And I think this is evidenced by the fact that Romney did better than Trump did in those types of districts.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

The article does make a good point. But I think the backlash is coming mostly from older folks in rural areas with lower levels of education. Wealthier republicans in the cities and suburbs I don't think are getting as easily offended by late night comedy. And I think this is evidenced by the fact that Romney did better than Trump did in those types of districts.
                        Well sure, but that's his base - no? The uneducated deplorables?

I also think that as time goes by, it gets old for all Republicans/Conservatives - regardless of education or socioeconomic status. And even though they don't necessarily like him, they dislike the sense of being judged by association.

Comment

True. But this is one of the only issues he hasn't really flip flopped on in the last 30 years. He's never been a fan of free trade. No matter what those around him try to do, he always seems to come back to his dopey tariff ideas. Also, at this point almost all of the free traders who were trying to turn him on this issue have long left the White House.
                          But he's smart and he graduated from Wharton!

But then, one of his Wharton profs said repeatedly that, "Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had."

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            Well sure, but that's his base - no? The uneducated deplorables?

I also think that as time goes by, it gets old for all Republicans/Conservatives - regardless of education or socioeconomic status. And even though they don't necessarily like him, they dislike the sense of being judged by association.
                            Those folks should stop watching the late night comedy and maybe occasionally try a different news source than the Fox they are probably glued to. Sure, they may hear alternative explanations or arguments, but that's healthy. They don't have to agree with everything, and honestly, compared to the comedians, especially the cable ones, it's not like the people on CNN or MSNBC are making fun of them. But alas, Trump is training them to have micro thin skin like he does.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Here's a fun article on MSNBC that explains why progressives are a little frustrated with MSNBC since that channel has veered centrist to appeal to never-Trump Republicans and libertarians. There are several shows on there right now that I like.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...ves-anti-trump

Comment

• whats the point of congress anymore?

Republicans worry that Trump’s protectionist trade policies could undermine all that and threaten a healthy economy before the midterm elections. Yet House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have shown no interest in passing legislation to block Trump’s tariffs or require congressional approval, a move that would essentially bring Capitol Hill to a standstill.

Comment

Working...
                                X