Page 214 of 272 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,420 of 8147

Thread: President Trump: Making America Great Again...

So did they flash the names of money donors during the speech? Or is that going to happen later?

I thought the speech was mostly OK. It didn't surprised me that at one point he focused on respecting the flag - but I'll be surprised if many (any?) NFL players were listening.

I think what bugs me most about the State of the Union - whether it is a R or a D giving the speech - is the response during the speech from the party out of power. I understand this isn't your guy, and I understand that he is proposing some things you don't like. But it's probably OK to smile and courtesy clap when he mentions something that you support in principle but don't necessarily trust him to do.

For instance - at one point he talked unemployment for Blacks being the lowest it's ever been. Now - you might disagree as to who or what is responsible, but when the camera flashed to a group of black people sitting there watching, by the somber looks on their faces you might think he had just told them all that he was cancelling Christmas or something. Sure - you don't like the guy, you don't think he's helping your people, but you're unable to recognize anything good happening?

Another example - when he says that he wants to reach across the aisle and reach compromise that may not give either party entirely what they want, but that does give the American people what they need - doesn't that sound like a good thing? You don't agree with THAT principle? Of working together and compromise? Again - you might not trust that he means it or that it will actually happen - but that's at least a concept that you can nod your head to and say "yeah, I agree with that".

This isn't a Trump issue. We saw the same with Obama and Bush before him, etc., etc., etc.. But it is pretty silly - and while this may not be what they are trying to portray, to me it comes across as a bunch of grumpy people who have no interest in what is best for the American people - as much as they are interested in having power.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I thought the speech was mostly OK. It didn't surprised me that at one point he focused on respecting the flag - but I'll be surprised if many (any?) NFL players were listening.

I think what bugs me most about the State of the Union - whether it is a R or a D giving the speech - is the response during the speech from the party out of power. I understand this isn't your guy, and I understand that he is proposing some things you don't like. But it's probably OK to smile and courtesy clap when he mentions something that you support in principle but don't necessarily trust him to do.

For instance - at one point he talked unemployment for Blacks being the lowest it's ever been. Now - you might disagree as to who or what is responsible, but when the camera flashed to a group of black people sitting there watching, by the somber looks on their faces you might think he had just told them all that he was cancelling Christmas or something. Sure - you don't like the guy, you don't think he's helping your people, but you're unable to recognize anything good happening?

Another example - when he says that he wants to reach across the aisle and reach compromise that may not give either party entirely what they want, but that does give the American people what they need - doesn't that sound like a good thing? You don't agree with THAT principle? Of working together and compromise? Again - you might not trust that he means it or that it will actually happen - but that's at least a concept that you can nod your head to and say "yeah, I agree with that".

This isn't a Trump issue. We saw the same with Obama and Bush before him, etc., etc., etc.. But it is pretty silly - and while this may not be what they are trying to portray, to me it comes across as a bunch of grumpy people who have no interest in what is best for the American people - as much as they are interested in having power.
    Gerrymandered congressional districts. If more districts were competitive the incentive for members of congress would be to listen to both sides and compromise more rather than dig in the heels and cater to the extreme wackos on either side. I would possibly favor changing part of the Constitution so each district gets two reps instead of one and top two vote getters get elected. International political science research has shown that the number of major political parties in a country tends to equal the number of reps per district + 1. So in the US that would be 1 rep, so 2 parties. A third party would really shake things up in a good way, I think. To facilitate this and even further take away the ability to gerrymander, you just add the extra rep but make the districts larger. Things would open up a bit more and we'd see more cooperation and desire to actually get things done instead of what is happening now.

I worry that the current gridlock and catering to the extremes is making us ripe for despotism down the road once Trump is done weakening our institutions. He may be currently on the outs with Steve Bannon, but he's still following Bannon's playbook of creating chaos and distrust in hopes of eventually destroying the state. Yes, I know, this is not an immediate danger, but we're going down the wrong way fast, IMO.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-31-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

Yeah, at one point I thought Pelosi was having a stroke...

SBegAj1Lq9hYwZ-l2_3PhqTweAh9qO8Qmj22coqH9ls.jpg
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I was disappointed Maxine Waters did not give the response.

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I thought this was funny, and spot on.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

LOL@Obama and Clinton... Bush Jr kicked their asses.

I wonder how many watched it on the internet...
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...n-address-ever
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Who cares? Trump is a lying dope.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-01-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Who cares? Trump is lying dope.
    As long as he keeps killing the GOP then I care!

Speaking of dying... Did you see that the DNC is out of money? Maybe Hillary will prop up their dead corpse again.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The post-9/11 state of the union when everybody was pretty united? Hell yes, he did.

Anecdotally, I have never watched any speech by Trump. Why would I give my precious time to be an audience to a pathological liar?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

F Drumpf! He promised us 6% GDP growth!... Fed says we are only going to get 5.4% B*turd.

Add that to the list of lies!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Michael Wolff Suggests Trump Is Having an Extramarital Affair “Now”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ffair-now.html

Gross. Hope Hicks? Nikki Haley?
    There goes the "entire creditability" of Michael Wolff book on one question...

There is no BS'ing on Morning Joe!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Reminds me... SNL:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

There is no president who riffs better than Trump, that I can tell you:

Whoa... someone created the prefect dating site for Shaka: https://trump.dating
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Whoa... someone created the prefect dating site for Shaka: https://trump.dating
    This is somewhat hilarious. There are a few dating sites based on a hot or not type selection. The first was Tinder but Bumble has become more popular and there is even an LDS-centric version called Mutual. Yo play you get pics of a person followed by a very brief bio and the direction you swipe depends on whether you'd like to date them or not. If both swipe the same direction one or both of you is given the ability to direct message the other person.

I've never seen a profile that stated swipe left (negative) if you didn't vote for Trump. However, I've looked a bunch that state that if you voted for Trump then swipe left.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    There is no president who riffs better than Trump, that I can tell you:

This is one of those times where the headline is much worse than the actual thing. I watched the clip for the speech. I don't think for a second he was actually suggesting that this was anything close to treason.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    This is one of those times where the headline is much worse than the actual thing. I watched the clip for the speech. I don't think for a second he was actually suggesting that this was anything close to treason.
    I once thought he was just a political idiot because he breaks every rule. In here by using the word "treason," the old way of looking at the world is he gets the message off the poor and whiny behavior of the Democrats that one could fairly call "un-American" and back onto him.

Then he won and part of me wants the world to fast forward to November 2020 to find out if he will win again. Has our civilization become so pathetic that he wins by being so crass and egotistical, noting in this case he is neither but he effectively brought the attention back to him, that the message always keeps Trump in the spotlight and that is what people crave more than anything else.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    No I agree. He was riffing on some bonehead who probably really believes it. But then with him, we're always asking the question: what's worse, does he really believe everything he says, or is he just a demagogue encouraging his fans to believe whatever they want?

No I agree. He was riffing on some bonehead who probably really believes it. But then with him, we're always asking the question: what's worse, does he really believe everything he says, or is he just a demagogue encouraging his fans to believe whatever they want?
    They're both bad

Trump’s desire for a military parade reveals him as a would-be despot

So it is with his latest scheme, his instruction to the top brass of the US armed forces to lay on a military parade in the nation’s capital, perhaps on 4 July. He’d been nagging the generals about this for a while but, according to the Washington Post, he gave the order at a meeting at the Pentagon last month.

No need for us to deconstruct the motive behind this instruction. It came after Trump was the guest at France’s Bastille Day parade, where he stood at Emmanuel Macron’s side and watched tanks, gun trucks and column after column of starchly uniformed soldiers. “We’re going to have to try and top it,” Trump said afterwards. (The actual order to military chiefs was phrased in the language of a spoiled child: “I want a parade like the one in France.”)

By his own admission, then, Trump is engaged in a familiar, mine’s-bigger-than-yours, macho competition, with military hardware his chosen measure. Recall the equally uncoded tweet directed at Kim Jong-un last month, when the US president urged someone to tell the North Korean dictator that Trump’s “nuclear button” is a “much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ongman-tactics
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

I'm not surprised you frequent Russian propaganda/altright site Zerohedge.

Just like JFK.

(And I learned this from NBC news, another noted Russian propaganda site)
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Netflix has an interesting doc series, Dirty Money. It's done by Alex Gibney who did Going Clear and Enron The Smartest Guys in the Room. The last episode is all about Trump. It really hammers away at him. Watched it last night.

Ho hum:

I’ll admit that an annual military parade seems really weird and out of line with a democratic nation. But then again, I think 90% of what trump does and says is out of line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Ho hum:

For a stable genius who allegedly is a great businessman, he sure seems to be clueless about the market.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’ll admit that an annual military parade seems really weird and out of line with a democratic nation. But then again, I think 90% of what trump does and says is out of line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is not only out of the norm but it reveals him as a would be DESPOT!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap