Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing is worth the price of a Trump presidency, certainly not Crockett's hyped-up conservative wins. He is an immoral demagogue who debases both the US presidency and the notion of American excellence. Not to mention humanity in general. Before he is through, the myth of the republican party as a bastion of Reagan-esque conservative ideals will cease to exist (if it hasn't already been destroyed). We can only hope that we'll see a serious national party that can counter-balance the democrats again in our lifetimes.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Nothing is worth the price of a Trump presidency, certainly not Crockett's hyped-up conservative wins. He is an immoral demagogue who debases both the US presidency and the notion of American excellence. Not to mention humanity in general. Before he is through, the myth of the republican party as a bastion of Reagan-esque conservative ideals will cease to exist (if it hasn't already been destroyed). We can only hope that we'll see a serious national party that can counter-balance the democrats again in our lifetimes.
      Heh. You need to read more Pat Buchanan:

With never-Trump conservatives bailing on the GOP and crying out for the Party of Pelosi to save us, some painful truths need to be restated.

The Republican Party of Bush I and II, of Bob Dole and John McCain, is history. It’s not coming back. Unlike the Bourbons after the Revolution and the Terror, after Napoleon and the Empire, no restoration is in the cards.

It is over. The GOP’s policies of recent decades — the New World Order of George H.W. Bush, the crusades for democracy of Bush II — failed, and are seen as having failed. With Trump’s capture of the party they were repudiated.

There will be no turning back.

[...]

The failures that killed the Bush party, and that represented departures from Reaganite traditionalism and conservatism, are:

First, the hubristic drive, despite the warnings of statesmen like George Kennan, to exploit our Cold War victory and pursue a policy of permanent containment of a Russia that had lost a third of its territory and half its people.

We moved NATO into Eastern Europe and the Baltic, onto her doorstep. We abrogated the ABM treaty Nixon had negotiated and moved defensive missiles into Poland. John McCain pushed to bring Ukraine and Georgia into NATO, and even to send U.S. forces to face off against Russian troops.

Thus we got a second Cold War that need never have begun and that our allies seem content to let us fight alone.

Europe today is not afraid of Vladimir Putin reaching the Rhine. Europe is afraid of Africa and the Middle East reaching the Danube.

[...]

Second, in a reflexive response to 9/11, we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, dumped over the regime in Libya, armed rebels to overthrow Bashar Assad in Syria, and backed Saudi intervention in a Yemeni civil war, creating a humanitarian crisis in that poorest of Arab countries that is exceeded in horrors only by the Syrian civil war.

Since Y2K, hundreds of thousands in the Middle East have perished, the ancient Christian community has all but ceased to exist, and the refugees now number in the millions. What are the gains for democracy from these wars, all backed enthusiastically by the Republican establishment?

Why are the people responsible for these wars still being listened to, rather than confessing their sins at second-thoughts conferences?

[...]
      The old GOP needed to burn to the ground. Meanwhile, the Dems are engaged in a Civil War that has completely alienated the center.

Honestly, can't see how President Trump ISN'T re-elected at this point.
      Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 07-06-2018, 03:26 PM.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

The old GOP needed to burn to the ground. Meanwhile, the Dems are engaged in a Civil War that has completely alienated the center.

Good old Pat. Each of the first two paragraphs contained a gigantic strawman. No need to read any further.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Reading another demagogue?!? No thanks. There has to be a better paleoconservative you can recommend than Pat Buchanan.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Attacking a respected former President for his charity work? Seriously? Who can defend that? Trump is a piece of garbage.
            That former POTUS had the nerve to vote for Killary!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              That former POTUS had the nerve to vote for Killary!
              Ah... Good times.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                The left went into a total meltdown and end-of-the-world hysteria when Kennedy announced his retirement. They understand the stakes. Don't tell me appointing 2 Supreme Court justices (maybe more) isn't worth it. Their impact will last decades. Trump will be out in 2-6 years.

NEWS FLASH: McMullin is a joke.
                McMullin would have given you conservative Supreme Court justices and deregulation without dopey recession-attracting trade policy or damaging the relationships we have with friendly countries. He would have done all the conservative governance stuff you're talking about at least as well as Trump without the offensive stuff. Even the argument that we didn't want a neocon who would get into war holds no water anymore given that Trump luckily by a fluke and because of Michael Flynn's troubles didn't get into war with Iran practically in the first week of his presidency and wanted to attack Venezuela of all places. Do you have a more logical argument about how much less of a joke Trump is, other than an insult?
                Last edited by BlueK; 07-06-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

McMullin would have given you conservative Supreme Court justices and deregulation without dopey recession-attracting trade policy or damaging the relationships we have with friendly countries. He would have done all the conservative governance stuff you're talking about at least as well as Trump without the offensive stuff. Even the argument that we didn't want a neocon who would get into war holds no water anymore given that Trump luckily by a fluke and because of Michael Flynn's troubles didn't get into war with Iran practically in the first week of his presidency and wanted to attack Venezuela of all places. Do you have a more logical argument about how much less of a joke Trump is, other than an insult?
                  If it was McMullin vs Hillary, then yes I would have voted for him. I listened to several interviews of him and I agreed with a lot of things he said.

The EM is a "joke" has to do with the fact that he mysteriously showed up very late in the game and had no chance, yet a bunch of Utahans were jumpin on the bandwagon. He had the potential to be the next Ross Perot: split the vote and give a Clinton the win. And even more so how he has treated his campaign staffers in the aftermath of his campaign: link. Stiffed a bunch of staffers a lot of money and accumulated a bunch of unpaid debt he has no intention of paying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                    Do you think Trump is governed by scruples? Do you think his actions are informed by a sense of right and wrong? This is a guy that said he would kill the families of suspected terrorists. This is a guy who said he respected Putin and defended Putin's murderous actions by saying that the U.S. isn't innocent either, that we've killed people as well. Trump is a sociopath. Of that, I'm certain. Not only is he a sociopath, he's a sociopath with a mandate. What part of that do you disagree with?
                    Yep — the best summation of Trump I have read is “Malevolence tempered only by incompetence.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Good old Pat. Each of the first two paragraphs contained a gigantic strawman. No need to read any further.
                      Can you point those out for me please?

Originally posted by Pat Buchanan in ¶ 1
                      With never-Trump conservatives bailing on the GOP and crying out for the Party of Pelosi to save us, some painful truths need to be restated.
                      Direct reference to Steve ("I left the Republican Party. Now I want Democrats to take over.") Schmidt. BlueK just barely shared that WaPo Max Boot piece like on the last page(?). Surprised you missed it. But I get it... BlueK signal to noise ratio is very low.

Originally posted by Pat Buchanan in ¶ 2
                      The Republican Party of Bush I and II, of Bob Dole and John McCain, is history. It’s not coming back. Unlike the Bourbons after the Revolution and the Terror, after Napoleon and the Empire, no restoration is in the cards.
                      Where is the strawman here? Is it wishful thinking? Certainly.

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Reading another demagogue?!? No thanks. There has to be a better paleoconservative you can recommend than Pat Buchanan.
                      Not sure what you mean since this is still true.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Those fearful of neocons should be concerned that the founder and former CEO of Blackwater is one of Trump’s besties. He's already tried to push Trump to sign up some expensive mercenaries. That along with Bolton’s presence in his administration hardly make Trump the Green Party foreign policy guy Walter and others hope for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                          If it was McMullin vs Hillary, then yes I would have voted for him. I listened to several interviews of him and I agreed with a lot of things he said.

The EM is a "joke" has to do with the fact that he mysteriously showed up very late in the game and had no chance, yet a bunch of Utahans were jumpin on the bandwagon. He had the potential to be the next Ross Perot: split the vote and give a Clinton the win. And even more so how he has treated his campaign staffers in the aftermath of his campaign: link. Stiffed a bunch of staffers a lot of money and accumulated a bunch of unpaid debt he has no intention of paying.
                          Disturbing about him if true. But he's not in charge of the country.

Still no less disturbing that Trump is representing the United States in a meeting with only Putin and an interpreter in the room.

Comment

Direct reference to Steve ("I left the Republican Party. Now I want Democrats to take over.") Schmidt. BlueK just barely shared that WaPo Max Boot piece like on the last page(?). Surprised you missed it. But I get it... BlueK signal to noise ratio is very low.
                            LOL. You sure seem to notice every last thing I say.

Comment

Still no less disturbing that Trump is representing the United States in a meeting with only Putin and an interpreter in the room.
                              FYI, Putin speaks perfect English. The interpreter is probably there only to instantiate the posthypnotic trigger. :foilhat:

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              LOL. You sure seem to notice every last thing I say.
                              I give you the benefit of the doubt... and every damn day you disappoint me.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                That along with Bolton’s presence in his administration hardly make Trump the Green Party foreign policy guy Walter and others hope for.
                                I've shared my opinion on this twice now in this godforsaken thread; the second time was just 4 days ago.

If you are having trouble, then run this shell parameter substitution pattern on the post(s):
                                ^Elliott Abrams^John Bolton

I thought that part was obvious.
                                Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 07-06-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X