Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Trump inches ever closer to his stated brag that he'd be able to shoot somebody on 5th Avenue in broad daylight...
    how dare you bring up Trump's own crazy words.

Comment

Well.. asylum, first and foremost- (also two lesser forms of relief called Withholding of Removal and relief under the Convention Against Torture or "CAT"). That is articulating a fear of returning to your country because of persecution or torture on account of your race, ethnicity, political beliefs, or religious beliefs perpetuated by the government or that the government will not or is powerless to prevent. In fact, the vast majority of people who just up and leave and head to the U.S. border unannounced are asylum seekers (yes there is a class of migrant workers but they are their own thing and largely from Mexico, whereas would-be asylees are Central American generally speaking). And it doesn't matter if they present themselves at the border or cross without inspection-- they have a year to file an asylum application. If they prevail they are classified as an asylee and are eligible for a green card in a year. It's very telling that Sessions has been reassigning Board of Immigration Appeals cases to himself to reshape asylum and create nationwide precedent that would pare it down substantially. That is the whole motive behind the separation policy. They aren't trying to stem border crossings- just asylum applications.
      Thanks. Is he doing anything that can be challenged in a federal court? It looks like the only way to stop his expansion of authority would be to get it into the court system.

On another sidenote, this seems like a political no brainer. Even setting humanity and decency aside, the party that allows immigration from the south will potentially attract an entire ethnic group that will only continue to grow. Cubans are still Republicans.

Democrats are just as anti-immigration, but they're sneakier about it. I don't understand why nobody in either party gets this. Democrats are at least selling out to the unions and getting something for it - the GOP get's nothing but a dunce cap.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Can someone please get entry level employees to Utah. I am going through a large expansion to my manufacturing facility but the labor pool is non-existent. Every business owner I know is struggling for labor. Wages are rising everywhere but it does not matter, there is nobody to hire.

The Republican party's current war on immigration is about to drive me out of the party. Hopefully the bright light being shown on the despicable practices happening with families now will get something to change.
        One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
        SU

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          Legal vs. illegal. Trump wants the "slam the door the hell shut to everyone" policy.
          I think Drumpf said he wants to enforce the laws that the previous congress and administrations passed... If they didn't want the law enforced maybe they should have maybe not passed the law or made laws they like when they had both sides of the isle and their man in the white house?

What the hell did the dems give us instead reasonable immigration laws?... Oh, yeah, Obamacare.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• And while we are at it please stop the damn trade war.
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              I think Drumpf said he wants to enforce the laws that the previous congress and administrations passed... If they didn't want the law enforced maybe they should have maybe not passed the law or made laws they like when they had both sides of the isle and their man in the white house?

What the hell did the dems give us instead reasonable immigration laws?... Oh, yeah, Obamacare.
              You need to pay more attention. He's been lobbying for a while to make it much more restrictive than current laws.

And the separate families policy is not based in any current law. His strategy appears to be to use a horrific policy at the border instituted by his AG to try to force Congress to slash LEGAL immigration in an extremist bill. What Congress should do is pass a law that only includes stopping the family separations and force him to veto it. The votes would be there but GOP leadership is terrified to do anything to upset dear leader.
              Last edited by BlueK; 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                And while we are at it please stop the damn trade war.
                Bad economics all around

Comment

It's not the laws that are the problem. It's the use of prosecutorial discretion to make things as difficult as possible for asylum seekers that is the problem. It's as though your local police suddenly decided to fill the jails and deny bond to people going 37 in a 35 and said SORRY THAT'S THE LAW MAYBE THE DEMOCRATS SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THIS LAW.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

You need to pay more attention. He's been lobbying for a while to make it much more restrictive than current laws.
                    Isn't that what he said he would do (and part of the reason he is in the white house now)?

And doesn't congress have to create a bill and vote on it to make the laws more restrictive? Or can he just sign an executive order to keep his campaign promises that got him to the white house?
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It's not the laws that are the problem. It's the use of prosecutorial discretion to make things as difficult as possible for asylum seekers that is the problem. It's as though your local police suddenly decided to fill the jails and deny bond to people going 37 in a 35 and said SORRY THAT'S THE LAW MAYBE THE DEMOCRATS SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THIS LAW.
                      I was thinking about the speeding analogy over the weekend. If every law and regulation in the U.S. were strictly enforced to the letter, I'd guess everyone would be found to be a habitual lawbreaker.

Comment

So under the current law any one that declares they are wanting to be a citizen because they are seeking asylum is automatically admitted? And those crossing the southern borders with their children how are they usually being persecuted (based on the race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group thing)? Shouldn't our CIA be assassinating these heartless basturd dictators that are doing the persecution and meddling in their election process (like they usually do)?
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Isn't that what he said he would do (and part of the reason he is in the white house now)?

And doesn't congress have to create a bill and vote on it to make the laws more restrictive? Or can he just sign an executive order to keep his campaign promises that got him to the white house?
                          He can't do everything he wants with immigration by executive order. At least not Constitutionally. That doesn't mean the tactics he's using now to try to get Congress to pass what he wants is to be applauded.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I was thinking about the speeding analogy over the weekend. If every law and regulation in the U.S. were strictly enforced to the letter, I'd guess everyone would be found to be a habitual lawbreaker.
                            That’s a LOT of space blankets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

So under the current law any one that declares they are wanting to be a citizen because they are seeking asylum is automatically admitted? And those crossing the southern borders with their children how are they usually being persecuted (based on the race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group thing)? Shouldn't our CIA be assassinating these heartless basturd dictators that are doing the persecution and meddling in their election process (like they usually do)?
                              No. They apply for it and make the case to a judge. And it isn't about being a citizen, it's just legal residence status. They used to be allowed to apply in their own country before they get here but Trump changed that. Fox probably didn't tell you that though.

Comment

He can't do everything he wants with immigration by executive order. At least not Constitutionally. That doesn't mean the tactics he's using now to try to get Congress to pass what he wants is to be applauded.
                                You should travel back in time and let some folks know!
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X