Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crockett View Post
    If it was McMullin vs Hillary, then yes I would have voted for him. I listened to several interviews of him and I agreed with a lot of things he said.

The EM is a "joke" has to do with the fact that he mysteriously showed up very late in the game and had no chance, yet a bunch of Utahans were jumpin on the bandwagon. He had the potential to be the next Ross Perot: split the vote and give a Clinton the win. And even more so how he has treated his campaign staffers in the aftermath of his campaign: link. Stiffed a bunch of staffers a lot of money and accumulated a bunch of unpaid debt he has no intention of paying.
    what kind of shithead would accrue a bunch of debt they have no intention of paying
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      what kind of shithead would accrue a bunch of debt they have no intention of paying
      Now I realize that not only has the amazing businessman Trump had multiple bankruptcies, earned a reputation for flat out stiffing employees and service providers, but his campaign and associated committees also have some unpaid bills. But we need to be mindful of Crockett and pro-Trump folks who've complained about this forum being an echo chamber. Let's make it a safe space for them.

Comment

NEWS FLASH: McMullin is a joke.
        Cricket and I agree on something!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Now I realize that not only has the amazing businessman Trump had multiple bankruptcies, earned a reputation for flat out stiffing employees and service providers, but his campaign and associated committees also have some unpaid bills. But we need to be mindful of Crockett and pro-Trump folks who've complained about this forum being an echo chamber. Let's make it a safe space for them.
          Hey Frank and little og, I'm not here defending Trump's financial history. My point was to stop putting McMullin on some pedestal as though he was some white knight, moral paragon, or legit political candidate.

Frank, speaking of echo chamber, any collusion, yet?

Comment

• Interesting take on Trump's relationship with the government he's at the head of. In short, it's mostly his own aides and others around him in the government he doesn't want to know what he's talking with Putin about.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...-us-government

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Now I realize that not only has the amazing businessman Trump had multiple bankruptcies, earned a reputation for flat out stiffing employees and service providers, but his campaign and associated committees also have some unpaid bills.
              An aside... I recently finished a biography of Joshua Chamberlain and two weeks ago visited his home in Maine (the 20th Maine regiment that he commanded essentially saved the Union at Gettysburg's Little Round Top, and his troops accepted the Confederate surrender at Appomattox by saluting the vanquished army, a move that did much to reduce hatred on both sides). He was wounded six times during the war, and suffered terribly from one wound throughout the rest of his life--he is regarded as the last soldier to have died from his Civil War injuries. In his later years, he was involved in numerous business ventures, and some failed, unsurprisingly. Chamberlain was very deeply troubled that people who had worked on or invested in the failed ventures had done so because of his reputation, and he did whatever he could to reduce their losses at his personal expense. A truly great man and the opposite of Trump and, in fairness, many others today.
              Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 07-07-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                An aside... I recently finished a biography of Joshua Chamberlain and two weeks ago visited his home in Maine (the 20th Maine regiment that he commanded essentially saved the Union at Gettysburg's Little Round Top, and his troops accepted the Confederate surrender at Appomattox by saluting the vanquished army, a move that did much to reduce hatred on both sides). He was wounded six times during the war, and suffered terribly from one wound throughout the rest of his life--he is regarded as the last soldier to have died from his Civil War injuries. In his later years, he was involved in numerous business ventures, and some failed, unsurprisingly. Chamberlain was very deeply troubled that people who had worked on or invested in the failed ventures had done so because of his reputation, and he did whatever he could to reduce their losses at his personal expense. A truly great man and the opposite of Trump and, in fairness, many others today.
                Which book? I am interested.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Which book? I am interested.
                  In the Hands of Providence, Joshua L. Chamberlain & the American Civil War, by Alice Rains Trulock. It's a bit hagiographic, but well-written and a quick read. I really enjoyed it. Despite dealing with terrible wounds (at his house I saw the mangled bullet that tore through his abdomen, resulting in a 19th Century partial colostomy), he lived until 1914. Shortly before his death, he returned to Little Round Top as he did often during his later years, and wrote the following:

I went--it is is not long ago--to stand again upon that crest whose one day's crown of fire has passed into the blazend coronet of fame; to look again upon the rocks whereon were laid as on the altar the lives of Vincent and O'Rourke. [He writes eloquently about other fallen comrades, and then concludes] I sat there alone on the storied crest, till the sun went down as it did before over the misty hills, and the darkness crept up the slopes, till from all earthly sight I was buried as with those before. But oh, what radiant companionship rose around, what steadfast ranks of power, what bearing of heroic souls. Oh, the glory that beamed through those nights and days. Nobody will ever know it here!--I am sorry most of all for that.... The proud young valor that rose above the mortal, and then at last was mortal after all...
                  Where are today's Chamberlains?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Where are today's Chamberlains?
                    LMGTFY. First hit:

amputees.jpg
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

This is the sound of the goalposts moving.

Thank you for your diagnosis, Dr.
                      And yet, you never address the questions. Yes or no, do you think Trump is a man governed by scruples? It's a simple question.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        And yet, you never address the questions. Yes or no, do you think Trump is a man governed by scruples? It's a simple question.
                        Questionable scruples, yes.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          Here is your original statement:

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          Is there any doubt in your mind that if Trump wins another term he will seek to eliminate presidential term limits? If he were able, is there any point at which Trump would cease to elevate the authority of the Executive branch over the judicial and legislative branches? If he were able, at what point would Trump stop trying to control the press? If he were able, are there any measures he wouldn't take to silence political opponents? If Trump could rig elections with impunity, is there any doubt in your mind that he would do so? Trump may never become a dictator, but he is definitely angling to establish an authoritarian government, and the thing that makes Trump so dangerous is that he is not handicapped by scruples or ideology as he seeks to establish that government. Left to his own devices, are there any lines that Trump would not be willing to cross?
                          Now you are asking about scruples. That looks like goalposts moving to me.

Asking about scruples is a pretty vague question. Pretty much everyone has scruples it's just those lines are in different places for different people. I don't think he will cross the lines you think he will or that he would even desire, too. I don't think he would rig elections, I don't think he will eliminate term limits, I don't think he will silence his political opponents (do you hear silence out there? quite the opposite -- there is so much criticism out there and he mostly ignores it and then tweets disses in other cases) (btw, what has he DONE to control the press other than SAY harsh things? What Obama DID was way worse than what Trump has DONE). So, I do think Trump has some scruples, but he's not the most moral person out there, for sure. I think he has more scruples than the Clintons, which is admittedly a low bar.

Comment

• WHATABOUT
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              WHATABOUT
                              Where is Uncle Ted? I miss him.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• “Scruples” sounds like an std, so I’m pretty sure Trump has plenty of it
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X