Page 364 of 398 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374 ... LastLast
Results 10,891 to 10,920 of 11934

Thread: President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    The personal tax cuts, yes. The corporate tax cuts were and still are a good idea and quite possibly the reason the economy isn’t in a recession.
    Perhaps the tax cuts merely kicked the recession can down the road a bit. Per the CBO, all of the tax cuts will add just under $2 Trillion in deficits to the economy, while their stimulative effect will disappear within the next four years. And if huge tax cuts can be implemented during what Trump himself has described perhaps the best economy in history, just imagine what he'll do if/when the economy turns south, which is when tax cuts are typically called for. But this is one of the myriad reasons I detest Trump. He's not at all strategic or long-term in his thinking, such as it is, Rather, he's motivated by what is best for him short-term.

The personal tax cuts, yes. The corporate tax cuts were and still are a good idea and quite possibly the reason the economy isn’t in a recession.
    I don't mind cutting the corporate tax rate, but it is, as I mentioned before, irresponsible to do so without addressing spending.

Who on here was derided the corporate tax cuts? IIRC everyone on this board was praising those as long overdue. Are you referring to people who say Trump is terrible and hasn't done anything good?

I think the tax cuts were used to offset the negative economic effects of the trade war. Without the tax cuts, the tariffs would have sent the economy into recession. As is the tariffs are hurting the world economy, but the US economy is still relatively stable.

I hate the trade the war. I don't think we are "winning." I think it's having negative effects on individuals and businesses that didn't really benefit from the tax cuts. I saw an article the other day saying that capital projects to build schools were coming in way over budget, due in part to tariffs on steel imports. Every school bond that went before voters this year failed, due in part to the sticker shock of the cost of building a new school. The result is overcrowded classrooms and schools. I don't think Trump accounted for that in the effects of the trade war, but the effect is very real.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I think the tax cuts were used to offset the negative economic effects of the trade war. Without the tax cuts, the tariffs would have sent the economy into recession. As is the tariffs are hurting the world economy, but the US economy is still relatively stable.

I hate the trade the war. I don't think we are "winning." I think it's having negative effects on individuals and businesses that didn't really benefit from the tax cuts. I saw an article the other day saying that capital projects to build schools were coming in way over budget, due in part to tariffs on steel imports. Every school bond that went before voters this year failed, due in part to the sticker shock of the cost of building a new school. The result is overcrowded classrooms and schools. I don't think Trump accounted for that in the effects of the trade war, but the effect is very real.
    Good thoughts, but I believe the tax cuts were passed before the tariffs and trade war really got going. But yes, in general we'd be worse off without that and the deregulation. The trade war has slowed things down in particular sectors, like you say. And it goes without saying Trump wouldn't have accounted for negative effects of tariffs. He's always thought going back decades that they are universally a good thing. However, I worry that if the December 15 tariffs on Chinese consumer goods goes into effect that it may push things over the edge in terms of sending the economy toward recession since it represents so many things that will affect consumers directly. Previous rounds have mostly only affected industrial goods.
    Last edited by BlueK; 12-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Good thoughts, but I believe the tax cuts were passed before the tariffs and trade war really got going. But yes, in general we'd be worse off without that and the deregulation. The trade war has slowed things down in particular sectors, like you say. And it goes without saying Trump wouldn't have accounted for negative effects of tariffs. He's always thought going back decades that they are universally a good thing. However, I worry that if the December 15 tariffs on Chinese consumer goods goes into effect that it may push things over the edge in terms of sending the economy toward recession since it represents so many things that will affect consumers directly. Previous rounds have mostly only affected industrial goods.
    1) Trump knew the tariffs were coming, that's why the tax cuts had to come first.
    2) It's a myth that the December 15 tariffs are the first to affect consumers. I run a consumer products company and we started having goods come under tariff in Sept of 2018. By the Sept 1, 2019 list 95% of our goods were covered. The only imports not on the tariff list at this point are toys, seasonal decorations, and consumer electronics. Trump didn't want the headline that he was taxing Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    1) Trump knew the tariffs were coming, that's why the tax cuts had to come first.
    2) It's a myth that the December 15 tariffs are the first to affect consumers. I run a consumer products company and we started having goods come under tariff in Sept of 2018. By the Sept 1, 2019 list 95% of our goods were covered. The only imports not on the tariff list at this point are toys, seasonal decorations, and consumer electronics. Trump didn't want the headline that he was taxing Christmas.
    they're not the first to affect consumers, of course. But I think these coming up have the potential to whack consumers on the head a lot more than previous rounds of tariffs had given the enormity of products that come from China.

Unemployment is at 3.5% which is a 50 year low, which is incredible given that the world economy has been slowing. LOL at all the economists and CSers that derided the Trump tax cuts.
    Cramer: Like or hate Trump, ‘these are the best numbers of our lives’ on jobs

• CNBC’s Jim Cramer says no matter your view on President Trump there’s no denying we’re living in the best labor market in more than a generation.
    • “This is the best number I’ve ever seen in my life,” says Cramer, 64.
    • Zeroing in on the 3.5% unemployment rate in November, Cramer says, “Fifty years ago, that number was a curse. Now it’s a blessing.”

CNBC’s Jim Cramer said Friday no matter your view on President Donald Trump there’s no denying we’re living in the best labor market in more than a generation.

“You can’t contradict that these are the best numbers of our lives. You can’t,” Cramer, 64, said following the government report showing the U.S. economy created a better-than-expected 266,000 nonfarm jobs in November, with the unemployment rate dipping to 3.5%, matching a 50-year low. Economists had expected the jobless rate to hold steady at 3.6% last month.
    [...]
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/cram...s-on-jobs.html

I guess Drumpf stealing these jobs from Canada...

Canada loses surprise 71,200 jobs in November, unemployment rate jumps to 5.9%

The Canadian job market lost a surprise 71,200 net positions in November while the unemployment rate rose to 5.9%, the highest in more than a year, data showed on Friday, as analysts said a repeat of the weak numbers could force the Bank of Canada to rethink its monetary policy.
    [...]
    https://news.yahoo.com/canada-loses-...135249031.html

[email protected] Dummies in the Great White North...

I am guessing that the canadians added twist off tops to their beer and this has wrecked their job market:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/06/cram...s-on-jobs.html

I guess Drumpf stealing these jobs from Canada...

https://news.yahoo.com/canada-loses-...135249031.html

[email protected] Dummies in the Great White North...

I am guessing that the canadians added twist off tops to their beer and this has wrecked their job market:

FYI a straight percentage comparison between Canada and the US isn't that useful because the 2 countries differ in how they measure whether a person is actively looking for work or not. The Canadian rate is always a percentage or 2 higher than the American one even when the labor force participation rates are about the same (Canada's is currently higher)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rable_Are_They

The main difference, in terms of impact, is the treatment of so-called passive jobseekers— persons who conduct their search for work merely by reading newspaper ads. Such individuals are included in the unemployed in Canada, but are excluded there from in the United States.
    If you look at historical trends, Canada's unemployment rate is about at the lowest rate it has been in 40 years currently. The US is in a similar boat. They haven't seen rates this low in about 45 years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mployment-rate

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    FYI a straight percentage comparison between Canada and the US isn't that useful because the 2 countries differ in how they measure whether a person is actively looking for work or not. The Canadian rate is always a percentage or 2 higher than the American one even when the labor force participation rates are about the same (Canada's is currently higher)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rable_Are_They

If you look at historical trends, Canada's unemployment rate is about at the lowest rate it has been in 40 years currently. The US is in a similar boat. They haven't seen rates this low in about 45 years.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mployment-rate
    Man, the job market has really sucked in Canada for a long time... No wonder they are all stacked up along their south border. #BuildTheWall(s)
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So awesome.

ELSfbhnU0AAP2HB.jpg
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Those are manger pictures taken during the Obama admin years?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Doesn't matter.

A teenage boy died of the flu in a spartan cell with only those foil blankets for warmth this past week.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Actually, 6 kids have died this year in CBP custody. Kids dying has never happened before. I know you'd like to scoop up all the horrific (to you merely embarrassing since you support Trump and don't care about immigrants) shit of this administration and blame it on Obama, but you can't. The U.S. government separating families is a unique characteristic of the Trump administration. We have the receipts.

Here- watch the video of the kid dying. I insist.

https://abc7.com/teen-migrant-dies-f...video/5736512/
    Last edited by Commando; 12-09-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Actually, 6 kids have died this year in CBP custody. Kids dying has never happened before. I know you'd like to scoop up all the horrific (to you merely embarrassing since you support Trump and don't care about immigrants) shit of this administration and blame it on Obama, but you can't. The U.S. government separating families is a unique characteristic of the Trump administration. We have the receipts.

Here- watch the video of the kid dying. I insist.

https://abc7.com/teen-migrant-dies-f...video/5736512/
    He only cares if they die by drone strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    He only cares if they die by drone strikes.
    Ha, so true. Big crocodile tears are shed and indignation is expressed when we kill a terrorist in Syria or Afghanistan, but flippant jokes follow the deaths of refugee children in U.S. custody on U.S. soil.

Not all dead brown children are created equal, clearly.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Not all dead brown children are created equal, clearly.
    No clearly not. Some are refugees killed in the Middle East and some are refugees killed by the U.S. government.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

No clearly not. Some are refugees killed in the Middle East and some are refugees killed by the U.S. government.
    Well, you must not have heard the great wisdom from Pat Buchanan. Brown people in the US will literally lead to the "Death of the West," as we know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_West

That is Walter's political Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Well, you must not have heard the great wisdom from Pat Buchanan. Brown people in the US will literally lead to the "Death of the West," as we know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_West

That is Walter's political Jesus.
    Welp, if white people weren't well on their way out as the majority in this country, I'd say Pat Buchanan ought to die of the flu in a cement room with a toilet and a space blanket. I'm sure you'd also see various falsified reports of 'welfare checks' every 6 hours to his cell, too...

Came for the virtue signaling, stayed for the whitewash. Team TDS never fails to deliver.

Hey you'll love this:

Last edited by Commando; 12-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Hey you'll love this:

I get what you are saying, but I would probably side with DHS on this one. Not that I think the kids should be denied the vaccine, but you can't just let some group show up one day and demand to get in there and start injecting kids. This needs to be done through proper channels and the group wanting access needs to be properly vetted. I mean, you're an attorney. Think of all the potential liability in a situation like this. By all means do it, but do it responsibly.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I get what you are saying, but I would probably side with DHS on this one. Not that I think the kids should be denied the vaccine, but you can't just let some group show up one day and demand to get in there and start injecting kids. This needs to be done through proper channels and the group wanting access needs to be properly vetted. I mean, you're an attorney. Think of all the potential liability in a situation like this. By all means do it, but do it responsibly.
    I don't think they're honestly requesting to be let in- it's a protest. The kids are currently being denied the flu vaccine. Even though it's free. I guess CBP has less accountability letting kids die on the floor than the 'potential liability' of giving them flu shots.

I don't think they're honestly requesting to be let in- it's a protest. The kids are currently being denied the flu vaccine. Even though it's free. I guess CBP has less accountability letting kids die on the floor than the 'potential liability' of giving them flu shots.
    So.... what are you mad about exactly? If they are only protesting and not really trying to administer the vaccinations, let them protest. They haven't been denied that opportunity, have they? Are you you upset because the kids are being prevented from getting flu shots entirely (I'm not aware of any group that has actually tried to contact CBP through proper channels to provide free vaccinations)? Has CBP said they refuse to vaccinate these kids regardless of the source of the vaccinations? Or is this just an opportunity to get upset.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    So.... what are you mad about exactly? If they are only protesting and not really trying to administer the vaccinations, let them protest. They haven't been denied that opportunity, have they? Are you you upset because the kids are being prevented from getting flu shots entirely (I'm not aware of any group that has actually tried to contact CBP through proper channels to provide free vaccinations)? Has CBP said they refuse to vaccinate these kids regardless of the source of the vaccinations? Or is this just an opportunity to get upset.
    Look how obtuse the official DHS account is. Trying to say a group of doctors rightly protesting the easily-preventable deaths of innocents is a group of 'radical protesters.'

Yes, CBP has refused to vaccinate the kids, despite everything being offered to them for free. This is readily available information. Here let me google that for you. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/the-...der-camps.html

Kids dying like this is a good opportunity to get upset. If you're not upset by this, chances are you are a piece of shit.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Kids dying like this is a good opportunity to get upset. If you're not upset by this, chances are you are a piece of shit.
    This seems like a productive way to change hearts and minds.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Look how obtuse the official DHS account is. Trying to say a group of doctors rightly protesting the easily-preventable deaths of innocents is a group of 'radical protesters.'

Yes, CBP has refused to vaccinate the kids, despite everything being offered to them for free. This is readily available information. Here let me google that for you. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/the-...der-camps.html

That article doesn't support what you are claiming. They say the deaths might be due, in part, to the flu. Or maybe other preventable causes. But they clearly don't know. They also speculate about diminished immune systems from depression due to living in crowded conditions, but no one says this caused anything, just that it might be happening. They also claim no children died for the last decade but also point out that the influx of children has been unprecedented recently, which seems like it might make prior experience less relevant. There is also no mention of when these children died. Was it after a long detention or after a few hours because they were very sick upon arrival? Given that it takes about two weeks for a flu vaccine to create immunity in a human, it might be that immediate administration would not have made any difference in this case.

Nobody wants children to die. And the excuse for not giving the vaccine seems very weak to me. But it is also irresponsible, in my view, to claim that withholding the vaccine caused these deaths when no such evidence is shown. All this shouting and overclaiming of everything, on both sides, makes it harder to ever reach consensus on a better solution.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I asked if any groups have approached CBP through proper channels to offer free vaccinations, not whether CBP has said it will offer the vaccinations themselves. Your link doesn't address that question, but I suppose the lack of a response is a response of sort.

Anyway, it is truly sad that any children have died of the flu while in CBP custody, but it doesn't seem like you are truly interested in discussing the real issues and instead are looking for a chance to get pissed off at any immigration related issues happening under the Trump regime. Since that has been your M.O. for a while now, I will bow out of this discussion.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

600+ minors died of the flu last year in US hospitals with state of the art medical treatment.
    400+ teens die each year of accidental drowning.
    Over 11,000 teens die each year in motor vehicle accidents.
    Another 400+ die of heart disease. 1,700+ die of suicide. Over 2,000 are murdered every year.

Are you equally upset at each and every one of those unfortunate deaths? None of those deaths push your particular set of social/political/moral buttons, do they?

So which of the following is actually most likely a piece of shit:

A. The person that is not upset at one particular death that pushes a particular set of social/political/moral buttons?
    B. The person that claims chances are Person A is a piece of shit?