Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So did they flash the names of money donors during the speech? Or is that going to happen later?
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• I thought the speech was mostly OK. It didn't surprised me that at one point he focused on respecting the flag - but I'll be surprised if many (any?) NFL players were listening.

I think what bugs me most about the State of the Union - whether it is a R or a D giving the speech - is the response during the speech from the party out of power. I understand this isn't your guy, and I understand that he is proposing some things you don't like. But it's probably OK to smile and courtesy clap when he mentions something that you support in principle but don't necessarily trust him to do.

For instance - at one point he talked unemployment for Blacks being the lowest it's ever been. Now - you might disagree as to who or what is responsible, but when the camera flashed to a group of black people sitting there watching, by the somber looks on their faces you might think he had just told them all that he was cancelling Christmas or something. Sure - you don't like the guy, you don't think he's helping your people, but you're unable to recognize anything good happening?

Another example - when he says that he wants to reach across the aisle and reach compromise that may not give either party entirely what they want, but that does give the American people what they need - doesn't that sound like a good thing? You don't agree with THAT principle? Of working together and compromise? Again - you might not trust that he means it or that it will actually happen - but that's at least a concept that you can nod your head to and say "yeah, I agree with that".

This isn't a Trump issue. We saw the same with Obama and Bush before him, etc., etc., etc.. But it is pretty silly - and while this may not be what they are trying to portray, to me it comes across as a bunch of grumpy people who have no interest in what is best for the American people - as much as they are interested in having power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I thought the speech was mostly OK. It didn't surprised me that at one point he focused on respecting the flag - but I'll be surprised if many (any?) NFL players were listening.

I think what bugs me most about the State of the Union - whether it is a R or a D giving the speech - is the response during the speech from the party out of power. I understand this isn't your guy, and I understand that he is proposing some things you don't like. But it's probably OK to smile and courtesy clap when he mentions something that you support in principle but don't necessarily trust him to do.

For instance - at one point he talked unemployment for Blacks being the lowest it's ever been. Now - you might disagree as to who or what is responsible, but when the camera flashed to a group of black people sitting there watching, by the somber looks on their faces you might think he had just told them all that he was cancelling Christmas or something. Sure - you don't like the guy, you don't think he's helping your people, but you're unable to recognize anything good happening?

Another example - when he says that he wants to reach across the aisle and reach compromise that may not give either party entirely what they want, but that does give the American people what they need - doesn't that sound like a good thing? You don't agree with THAT principle? Of working together and compromise? Again - you might not trust that he means it or that it will actually happen - but that's at least a concept that you can nod your head to and say "yeah, I agree with that".

This isn't a Trump issue. We saw the same with Obama and Bush before him, etc., etc., etc.. But it is pretty silly - and while this may not be what they are trying to portray, to me it comes across as a bunch of grumpy people who have no interest in what is best for the American people - as much as they are interested in having power.
        Gerrymandered congressional districts. If more districts were competitive the incentive for members of congress would be to listen to both sides and compromise more rather than dig in the heels and cater to the extreme wackos on either side. I would possibly favor changing part of the Constitution so each district gets two reps instead of one and top two vote getters get elected. International political science research has shown that the number of major political parties in a country tends to equal the number of reps per district + 1. So in the US that would be 1 rep, so 2 parties. A third party would really shake things up in a good way, I think. To facilitate this and even further take away the ability to gerrymander, you just add the extra rep but make the districts larger. Things would open up a bit more and we'd see more cooperation and desire to actually get things done instead of what is happening now.

I worry that the current gridlock and catering to the extremes is making us ripe for despotism down the road once Trump is done weakening our institutions. He may be currently on the outs with Steve Bannon, but he's still following Bannon's playbook of creating chaos and distrust in hopes of eventually destroying the state. Yes, I know, this is not an immediate danger, but we're going down the wrong way fast, IMO.
        Last edited by BlueK; 01-31-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I thought the speech was mostly OK. It didn't surprised me that at one point he focused on respecting the flag - but I'll be surprised if many (any?) NFL players were listening.

Yeah, at one point I thought Pelosi was having a stroke...

SBegAj1Lq9hYwZ-l2_3PhqTweAh9qO8Qmj22coqH9ls.jpg
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I was disappointed Maxine Waters did not give the response.

Comment

• I loved the Korean Tiny Tim!
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I thought this was funny, and spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• LOL@Obama and Clinton... Bush Jr kicked their asses.

I wonder how many watched it on the internet...
                    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...n-address-ever
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      LOL@Obama and Clinton... Bush Jr kicked their asses.

Who cares? Trump is a lying dope.
                      Last edited by myboynoah; 02-01-2018, 06:47 AM.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Who cares? Trump is lying dope.
                        As long as he keeps killing the GOP then I care!

Speaking of dying... Did you see that the DNC is out of money? Maybe Hillary will prop up their dead corpse again.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          LOL@Obama and Clinton... Bush Jr kicked their asses.

The post-9/11 state of the union when everybody was pretty united? Hell yes, he did.

Anecdotally, I have never watched any speech by Trump. Why would I give my precious time to be an audience to a pathological liar?
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• F Drumpf! He promised us 6% GDP growth!... Fed says we are only going to get 5.4% B*turd.

Add that to the list of lies!
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Michael Wolff Suggests Trump Is Having an Extramarital Affair “Now”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ffair-now.html

Gross. Hope Hicks? Nikki Haley?
                              There goes the "entire creditability" of Michael Wolff book on one question...

There is no BS'ing on Morning Joe!
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Reminds me... SNL:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X