Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    If you use racial slurs you’re racist.
    The thinking is that because he's a jerk, he says and does those things for that reason and not necessarily because he's a racist. Lots of well meaning people are falling for that, when if you really think it through it's a rationalization that makes no sense. it's a laughingly absurd distinction and excuse. We (in general as a society) let him off the hook precisely because he's proven time and again to be someone to expect very little positive behavior from.

It's stunningly ridiculous. When future generations look back on this time they'll probably scratch their heads wondering how we allowed such a horrible president to get elected, much less allow to stay in office this long. I was about to say something even stronger about him but I won't.

And Hillary, Obama, etc., have absolutely nothing to do with this. They aren't an excuse for Trump's behavior either.
    Last edited by BlueK; 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• I agree that racists use racial slurs. I just don't think they are the only ones. If you're looking to offend or demean someone, racial slurs are easy.

I know a guy who married a gal who is 2nd generation from Mexico, most of his friends and many relatives are Latino, yet when he got into a fight with another guy playing ball he called the guy a "stupid spic" among other things. No one there - including 5 of the 10 guys who are of Latino decent - thought he was a racist because of it. In fact, when the guy called him a racist for saying it, the other 4 all laughed at him and told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm not excusing Trump's behavior. I'm not giving him a pass because he is a jerk so he's allowed to act like a jerk and it's OK. I have tried to evaluate and make sense of it in my own mind. Some of it doesn't make sense (OK - let's be real - MOST of Trump's behavior doesn't make sense.) But to me - when you evaluate that some things he has done would appear obviously racist along with other things that seem to not be racist - I have to ask myself why. Sure - the easy answer is he's racist, but maybe doesn't show it all the time. And again (like I said before) he might be. I don't know.

I DO know that he's a narcissistic egomaniac who esteems himself higher than anyone else and it doesn't surprise me when he puts people down because that's what I would expect from someone like that. So for me, that's another possibility. Or - and this is most likely in all reality - there are some elements of both. I expect a guy like Trump to be VERY ethnocentric - very sure that HIS way is the best way. So I would expect him to see the way other races and cultures do things as being inferior if not outright wrong.

Again - none of this is to excuse his behavior. As someone in the Human Services field, I just find myself trying to make sense of human behavior I see in others. What kinds of thoughts, perspective, or other issues explain (not excuse) certain behavior. Where are they coming from

I don't think it's as simple as "he's racist". (And it surprises me that those of you who dislike him so much want to limit me from finding additional personality flaws within him. But whatever.)

Comment

• Do any of these distinctions really matter? He is a clown. Worst president in the modern era. Maybe ever.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I agree that racists use racial slurs. I just don't think they are the only ones. If you're looking to offend or demean someone, racial slurs are easy.

I know a guy who married a gal who is 2nd generation from Mexico, most of his friends and many relatives are Latino, yet when he got into a fight with another guy playing ball he called the guy a "stupid spic" among other things. No one there - including 5 of the 10 guys who are of Latino decent - thought he was a racist because of it. In fact, when the guy called him a racist for saying it, the other 4 all laughed at him and told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm not excusing Trump's behavior. I'm not giving him a pass because he is a jerk so he's allowed to act like a jerk and it's OK. I have tried to evaluate and make sense of it in my own mind. Some of it doesn't make sense (OK - let's be real - MOST of Trump's behavior doesn't make sense.) But to me - when you evaluate that some things he has done would appear obviously racist along with other things that seem to not be racist - I have to ask myself why. Sure - the easy answer is he's racist, but maybe doesn't show it all the time. And again (like I said before) he might be. I don't know.

I DO know that he's a narcissistic egomaniac who esteems himself higher than anyone else and it doesn't surprise me when he puts people down because that's what I would expect from someone like that. So for me, that's another possibility. Or - and this is most likely in all reality - there are some elements of both. I expect a guy like Trump to be VERY ethnocentric - very sure that HIS way is the best way. So I would expect him to see the way other races and cultures do things as being inferior if not outright wrong.

Again - none of this is to excuse his behavior. As someone in the Human Services field, I just find myself trying to make sense of human behavior I see in others. What kinds of thoughts, perspective, or other issues explain (not excuse) certain behavior. Where are they coming from

I don't think it's as simple as "he's racist". (And it surprises me that those of you who dislike him so much want to limit me from finding additional personality flaws within him. But whatever.)
          right, he is both racist and a piece of shit
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• lets all agree he is indeed a piece of shit.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              I agree that racists use racial slurs. I just don't think they are the only ones. If you're looking to offend or demean someone, racial slurs are easy.

Eddie, my friend, it is that simple. Using racial slurs is a racist action. Engaging in racists actions qualifies someone as a racist. It's not some nebulous designation, and understanding the context doesn't make him immune from that label. It's pretty straight forward.
              You can castigate me and others for calling Trump a racist, but my question to you is why do you go to such great lengths to give Trump the benefit of the doubt?

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                lets all agree he is indeed a piece of shit.
                Shaka and Crockett won't be on board with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Do any of these distinctions really matter? He is a clown. Worst president in the modern era. Maybe ever.
                  No, they don't really matter. I'm more opposed to broad-brush generalizations. Trump may be a bigot, or a racist, or a white supremacist, or a politician who panders to those groups, or (most likely) some combination of all of those. My defense is not of Trump but of those who voted for him. I know a lot of good people who I know are not racists who voted for him, and I don't think it's fair to label them. I'm not going to defend Trump's morals or integrity, other than to point out that some accusations have more merit than others.

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Eddie, my friend, it is that simple. Using racial slurs is a racist action. Engaging in racists actions qualifies someone as a racist. It's not some nebulous designation, and understanding the context doesn't make him immune from that label. It's pretty straight forward.
                  You can castigate me and others for calling Trump a racist, but my question to you is why do you go to such great lengths to give Trump the benefit of the doubt?
                  Frank, my friend, it is not that simple. Well, I suppose it could be if you want to create a broad enough definition of 'racist.' You seem very quick to judge on this matter, regardless of the amount of information you have. One or two data points, and that's good enough for you to label a wide swath of the electorate. People can do or say racist things and not be racists, just like they can do or say bad things and not be bad people. Nobody I see here is defending Trump as much as they are opposing your logic. I don't think you'd find it fair to be judged good or bad by a handful of your actions or the politicians you've voted for, but that is exactly what you appear to be doing to others.
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• guys i’m not a racist i just like to spit on mexicans and call people the n word. only two data points!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      guys i’m not a racist i just like to spit on mexicans and call people the n word. only two data points!
                      Trump loves taco bowls, ergo not racist.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        right, he is both racist and a piece of shit
                        Drumpf admitted that he is "probably the least racist person on earth." I don't think he has said anything about being a PoS or not. So yeah, let's go with he is a PoS. But the question is just how big of a PoS? Like is he a bigger PoS than Hillary? In terms of PoS's she is pretty big.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Drumpf admitted that he is "probably the least racist person on earth." I don't think he has said anything about being a PoS or not. So yeah, let's go with he is a PoS. But the question is just how big of a PoS? Like is he a bigger PoS than Hillary? In terms of PoS's she is pretty big.
                          Thank you for the Hillary angle, uncle Ted! That is just with this discussion needed to get back on track.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            lets all agree he is indeed a piece of shit.
                            I don't think there is disagreement with anyone here on that. Now we have to establish species. Elephant? Probably the largest turd on the planet, but plant-based diets usually produce less offensive feces. Monkey? This may work, as it's offensive and gets thrown around and sticks to it's target. Extra points if he is as racist as claimed. I think I'll go with dog:
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Shaka and Crockett won't be on board with this.
                              Trump is a mixed bag for me. However, I did vote for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Trump is a mixed bag for me. However, I did vote for him.
                                agreed. like a bag of mixed dogshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X