Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    And yet, you never address the questions. Yes or no, do you think Trump is a man governed by scruples? It's a simple question.
    And a dumb one. As Crockett stated... it's so vague as to be meaningless.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Applying the traditional meaning of "scruples," I'd say (unsurprisingly) that Trump has rarely, if ever, had any scruples. Scruples are not the same thing as ethics or morals. Rather, I've always understood them to mean second thoughts or hesitation based on moral or ethical grounds. I doubt Trump has ever had second thoughts about anything from a morals perspective (I'd love to hear a counterpoint to that). Rather, his decisionmaking throughout his life has rested on a single principle: what's best for Donald Trump. Having second thoughts about those types of decisions (which I'm sure he's had) is not the same thing as scruples. I really doubt Trump has ever had any.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Applying the traditional meaning of "scruples," I'd say (unsurprisingly) that Trump has rarely, if ever, had any scruples. Scruples are not the same thing as ethics or morals. Rather, I've always understood them to mean second thoughts or hesitation based on moral or ethical grounds. I doubt Trump has ever had second thoughts about anything from a morals perspective (I'd love to hear a counterpoint to that). Rather, his decisionmaking throughout his life has rested on a single principle: what's best for Donald Trump. Having second thoughts about those types of decisions (which I'm sure he's had) is not the same thing as scruples. I really doubt Trump has ever had any.
        Dang. If I hadn't read this thoughtful critique, I probably would have never considered that most politicians aren't looking out for themselves.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          Dang. If I hadn't read this thoughtful critique, I probably would have never considered that most politicians aren't looking out for themselves.
          Good one! But I ask this sincerely: Do you believe that Trump is typical among politicians and, for that matter, businesspeople with respect to his amorality, self-regard and self-interest, and not on the extreme end of the scale with those characteristics? Obviously, I don't, but I'll allow for the possibility I'm simply mistaken. Maybe his weird and unfortunate hair has affected my power of discernment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            “Scruples” sounds like an std, so I’m pretty sure Trump has plenty of it
            I honestly think he's governed by syphilis.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
              I honestly think he's governed by syphilis.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Do you believe that Trump is typical among politicians and, for that matter, businesspeople with respect to his amorality, self-regard and self-interest?
                Abso-fucking-lutely.

Comment

• Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Abso-fucking-lutely.
                    I can't tell when you're joking, but if you're both serious and correct, and if movies about characters like Jordan Belfort and Gordon Gecko are more like documentaries about the business world than fictional accounts of wretched excess among the outliers, then I've led a truly charmed life. While nearly every businessperson acts, as one should, out of self-interest, most of those I've worked with have shown considerable commitment to doing what they believe is best for everyone concerned, including themselves certainly. They also tend to adhere to guiding principles of some type which don't change based upon what will yield the greatest return.

Naïve though I must be, life for me is better when it's not mired in cynicism.

Comment

I can't tell when you're joking, but if you're both serious and correct, and if movies about characters like Jordan Belfort and Gordon Gecko are more like documentaries about the business world than fictional accounts of wretched excess among the outliers, then I've led a truly charmed life. While nearly every businessperson acts, as one should, out of self-interest, most of those I've worked with have shown considerable commitment to doing what they believe is best for everyone concerned, including themselves certainly. They also tend to adhere to guiding principles of some type which don't change based upon what will yield the greatest return.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1373434
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I think Trump does live in wretched excess and probably pushes the limits on what he gets away with in business. He is a serial philanderer. He's not who I want leading the country. I want decent and honorable people to be our leaders. Problem is that our political system disincentivizes decent and honorable people from running for office and makes it difficult to stay that way if you make it in. Look at the horrible personal attacks on Romney's character when he ran. If that's how we treat someone like Romney, then that's how you get the Trumps of the world. It's also a poor reflection of the electorate. We get the candidates that we deserve.

Comment

I've led a truly charmed life. Naïve though I must be.
                          Agree.

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                          I think Trump does live in wretched excess and probably pushes the limits on what he gets away with in business. He is a serial philanderer. He's not who I want leading the country. I want decent and honorable people to be our leaders. Problem is that our political system disincentivizes decent and honorable people from running for office and makes it difficult to stay that way if you make it in. Look at the horrible personal attacks on Romney's character when he ran. If that's how we treat someone like Romney, then that's how you get the Trumps of the world. It's also a poor reflection of the electorate. We get the candidates that we deserve.
                          The corollary here is that we also get the media we deserve. Every single dimwitted consumer of The Apprentice (and reality TV shows at large) contributed - in no small part - to the election of Donald Trump.

Comment

• I don't understand the 'Trump Apologist' and 'Trump Supporter' labels applied to posters here. I didn't go back through the whole thread, but I haven't seen anyone here who likes the guy. There are different levels of disdain, but even handful of people who voted for him have expressed that they wish there had been another option.

He's shown that he is insecure, egocentric, thin skinned, brash, crude, arrogant, amoral, power hungry, divisive, and unwilling to either take advice or compromise. His foreign policy appears to be a disaster, and his approach to trade was proven calamitous in the '30's.

Still, he's done a couple of good things. Not a lot, and not enough for me to wish the party hadn't nominated someone else, but they've been good, nonetheless. First, I like his court picks, though I admittedly don't know much about the new guy whose name escapes me. Best, he freed the Hammonds, who were sentenced to 5 years for letting a fire on private property encroach onto 5 acres of public land covered with sagebrush. The initial court said the minimum 5-year sentence would "shock the conscience", but the Obama administration appealed the sentence and gave them the full 5 years. It was an abhorrent miscarriages of justice.

I mentioned the Hammonds' pardon in another thread, but I want it mentioned here. Even bad men can do good things. If people can't recognize that as a good thing then they may be no more objective than the Trump lovers.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              I don't understand the 'Trump Apologist' and 'Trump Supporter' labels applied to posters here. I didn't go back through the whole thread, but I haven't seen anyone here who likes the guy. There are different levels of disdain, but even handful of people who voted for him have expressed that they wish there had been another option.
                              Crockett likes the guy, for one.

Comment

• Trump trashes our NATO allies on camera in front of them. Wow.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X