Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickleball

Anyone play?

Started playing about 6 weeks ago and it's strangely addicting.

I know it's getting very popular in Utah. Cities building courts everywhere. I played a lot the last month in SLC and Ogden and regardless the night or day there was always 15-20 people playing open court.

There's some some really nice courts around St. George. They even have lighting with timers so you can play at night.

I've never played much tennis but the rest of my family started playing a ton right after I left home for school. Tennis skills transfer pretty well to pickleball so most of my siblings can beat me at that, too.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

A guy in my ward has been on the pickleball bandwagon for years now. He had equipment that he kept in our church building and was always trying to get people to come play. He finally got the Stake President to come over one time, and now we have pickleball court lines on our Stake Center gym floor and people play every week. It is a lot of fun.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I bought a net recently as there aren't any dedicated courts on my side of town and I am going to try and get a group of folks to play. We had 6 show up, all younger than 40 which is incredibly unusual for the game.

I played with a group here for a couple of weeks but am looking for other players or people wanting to learn to play. My wife is starting to play as well so that's been a lot of fun.

Comment

Never thought about the church, that's actually a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
            Never thought about the church, that's actually a great idea.
            Shocker you never considered church.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Played it in P.E. back in the day. I'm waiting for crab soccer to make a comeback before I get a new hobby, though.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Played it in P.E. back in the day. I'm waiting for crab soccer to make a comeback before I get a new hobby, though.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have a friend who has an indoor multipurpose court attached to his house. He asked some of our friends to come play pickleball three weeks ago, and I'm thoroughly hooked. We play 3x a week. It's been great to get some exercise during Rona, and it doesn't hurt that it's crazy fun as well.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I have a friend who has an indoor multipurpose court attached to his house. He asked some of our friends to come play pickleball three weeks ago, and I'm thoroughly hooked. We play 3x a week. It's been great to get some exercise during Rona, and it doesn't hurt that it's crazy fun as well.
                    My brother has been hooked on the game for several years. I've never played, despite everyone I know who plays being in love with the game. The game needs a better name, as it sounds dorky and offputting.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      My brother has been hooked on the game for several years. I've never played, despite everyone I know who plays being in love with the game. The game needs a better name, as it sounds dorky and offputting.
                      Stop being such a gosh darn elitist and try it out. It is a blast.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Stop being such a gosh darn elitist and try it out. It is a blast.
                        Seriously, I will at the next opportunity. But I'll call it something manlier. Maybe Blitzkriegball.

Comment

There are two sports I have participated in and never lost. One is squash (played maybe 3 times on my mission and once at BYU) and the other is pickleball. Out in Utah last year, I played at the Spanish Fork rec facility (which was very nice!) one beautiful evening. I and a brother in law defeated another team of two BILs. I don't want to brag but I was the only first-time player, yet still carried our team.

I would like to play more but public pickleball courts are very scarce in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                            There are two sports I have participated in and never lost. One is squash (played maybe 3 times on my mission and once at BYU) and the other is pickleball. Out in Utah last year, I played at the Spanish Fork rec facility (which was very nice!) one beautiful evening. I and a brother in law defeated another team of two BILs. I don't want to brag but I was the only first-time player, yet still carried our team.

I would like to play more but public pickleball courts are very scarce in the area. But mostly I just don't want to ruin my undefeated record.
                            fify
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Man. Pickleball looks boring. My wife's cousin is a really good pickleball player for Team Onix (5.0 rated player... 5.5 is highest). All he does is post pickleball stuff on facebook/insta. It doesn't look fun coming from someone who plays tennis 2x per week.

Comment

Working...
                              X