Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    I saw him last year and he was insanely funny. I don't like to laugh out loud in crowds but he had me rolling.
    In Vegas? I'm kinda bummed I missed that show. Live stand up is almost always twice as good as a recording.

I saw Harland Williams a few years ago in Wiseguys in West Valley. I was not very excited about it. I had seen him on tv shows and in movies and didn't find him to be very funny. He was great live though.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I have really gotten into Mike Birbiglia lately. In the process of listening to all his stuff on Amazon. He is hilarious.
    Birbigglebug is excellent. Sleepwalk with Me is a really great album. His sets are almost like a really long and really funny spot on The Moth.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Once again, Brian Regan is consistently funny. Not gut-busting funny, but solid every time. There's not many things that happen in the NWC clan's life that can't be connected to a Regan line.

OK, so maybe we like him a little too much...
    He's the only comedian I have taken my son to see. He loved it. We listen to him in the car and my 5 year old daughter quotes him and asks me to play him all the time. We plan to take the whole family the next time he is in town..

Majority of those mentioned Here I can never do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the love for Brian Regan. Every Mo loves him it seems. I just don't think he's that funny.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I don't get the love for Brian Regan. Every Mo loves him it seems. I just don't think he's that funny.
    Applejack agrees.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Well somebody finally cracked and made the thread. Congrats!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Amen from the congregation.

It's kinda like Kale...people eat it because it is a "super food". And people say they like it, because that is the trendy thing to do. In reality, kale tastes like shit.

I love several of the names mentioned already. Louis C.K., Tosh, Birbiglia, Burr etc... Any love out there for Tig Notaro? I find her dry delivery to be really funny at times while at other times she has the ability to make me really uncomfortable. I first started seeing her sets on the late night circuit, and have since seen a documentary style special where she travelled around the south doing shows in people's backyards. Her new show (produced by Louis C.K.) streams on Amazon, and while I generally found it funny, it pushed me out of my comfort zone a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Amen from the congregation.

It's kinda like Kale...people eat it because it is a "super food". And people say they like it, because that is the trendy thing to do. In reality, kale tastes like shit.
    lol. This is personal for you, isn't it?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Regan is nothing like Kale. Both he and Gaffigan are hilarious. I saw Gaffigan last year in Newark. In spite of the fact I was in Newark, I still busted a gut. I never expected to laugh that hard at his show.

It's obvious why mormons love them but that doesn't mean they aren't funny. Sometimes mormons as a group actually like quality things.

I think he's funny.

I never really seek out any particular comedian, so I form my opinion off of what I run into--usually what my wife and kids watch or listen to. He's pretty funny. I still don't get Studio C for the most part though. Conan and Jay Leno aren't so funny. David Letterman is very funny. I really like Jimmy Fallon too.

I'm no huge kale proponent, but my wife makes a delicious kale soup. It might have something to do with the ground sausage in it.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I like Brian Regan, except when he loses it and starts shouting. I've seen him live and he's very good. His pain scale bit about being in the emergency room is really funny. And I think Gaffigan is even better. Still, my favorite live comedian remains Jerry Seinfeld.

who is the hot pockets guy? hate him
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    who is the hot pockets guy? hate him
    Jim Gaffigan. He is awesome.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I like Brian Regan, except when he loses it and starts shouting. I've seen him live and he's very good. His pain scale bit about being in the emergency room is really funny. And I think Gaffigan is even better. Still, my favorite live comedian remains Jerry Seinfeld.
    Seinfeld is the GOAT.

Someone else mentioned Hedberg. Great stuff, but had he not OD'd/suicided'd I'm sure he would have become as old and stale as Gaffigan is now.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Seinfeld is the GOAT.

Someone else mentioned Hedberg. Great stuff, but had he not OD'd/suicided'd I'm sure he would have become as old and stale as Gaffigan is now.
    Hedberg is great. The annoying part about his style is that in his later shows he had problems w assholes shouting out the punchlines. He was great with hecklers, though.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Say 8... Say 8.... Say 8... Say 8....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Hedberg is great. The annoying part about his style is that in his later shows he had problems w assholes shouting out the punchlines. He was great with hecklers, though.
    To this day whenever I see a broken escalator (which is multiple times a day in the NYC subway system), I hear Hedberg in my head saying "An escalator can never break; it can only become stairs."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

We have tickets to see Jim Gaffigan on Dec 2.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

We have tickets to see Jim Gaffigan on Dec 2.
    my wife bought tickets to see him without asking me.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I am a standup aficionado. I don't go to many shows but have seen Tom Segura and a few others. I pretty much like every comic to varying degrees. Objectively speaking, Brian Regan, Dane Cook, Jim Gaffigan, i.e. the comics you're not supposed to like if you're a badass- are all pretty amazing at what they do.

I also listen to Adam Carolla, Jay Mohr, Marc Maron, and Joe Rogan's podcasts once in a while, and agree that is a fantastic medium for people like that with just a motor mouth. Joe Rogan's podcast is about 2.5 hours too long, though.

I'm definitely a Louis CK guy. Yes, some of his stuff is unmentionable in mixed company, but he is the best example of a comic I can think of that has absolutely no filter and no agenda. He speaks such truth I can't help but think he's just a pure, good guy that you can relate to (not so much into comics who are probably great guys but come off like miserable people like Doug Stanhope, David Cross and that ilk). Plus he's into that absurdist humor and was a writer during the early Conan Late Night years that were so awesome.

I also love Patton Oswalt, JB Smoove, David Spade, etc. Like I said-- I don't think there's a comic I dislike. I would probably go to more shows if it wasn't such a production and an expense to get to the good part- 2 drink minimums, opening acts, parking, all that stuff. :/

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I love several of the names mentioned already. Louis C.K., Tosh, Birbiglia, Burr etc... Any love out there for Tig Notaro? I find her dry delivery to be really funny at times while at other times she has the ability to make me really uncomfortable. I first started seeing her sets on the late night circuit, and have since seen a documentary style special where she travelled around the south doing shows in people's backyards. Her new show (produced by Louis C.K.) streams on Amazon, and while I generally found it funny, it pushed me out of my comfort zone a ton.
    I like Tig. I mentioned in the Amazon thread that I really enjoyed her show, One Mississippi. An intensely personal subject matter for her, yet she still made it funny and relatable. Not a ton of ROFL moments, but it was amazing to me how she could squeeze laughs out of her mother's untimely death and her own health struggles/cancer scare.

I only started listening to her stand up after watching her show. Like the show, the jokes are spread out. But her delivery is great. She's a great story teller.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Anyone catch Martin Short and Steve Martin on The Tonight Show last night? They are still very funny. I really enjoy watching comedians talk to each other. They are all so sharp and I'm amazed at their wit that can be crafting the next joke while the other person is talking and have it ready just in time. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed and miss Dennis Miller's radio show. He would have comedians on all the time and just shoot the bull for an hour and it was great.

Anyone catch Martin Short and Steve Martin on The Tonight Show last night? They are still very funny. I really enjoy watching comedians talk to each other. They are all so sharp and I'm amazed at their wit that can be crafting the next joke while the other person is talking and have it ready just in time. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed and miss Dennis Miller's radio show. He would have comedians on all the time and just shoot the bull for an hour and it was great.
    Whatever happened to Dennis Miller? He was gung ho Trump a few months ago and now I don't hear from him- he's been MIA on social media. Maybe he blocked me on fb?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Johnny Biscuit in this thread. According to Larry King, he's "One of the funniest guys ever." That quote is straight from his website. Also, the Utah State Orthopaedic Society enjoyed his routine and hopes to have him back again. So he has won over some pretty harsh critics.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Finally something in common...

I get emails from Louis CK once in a while- he has started filming his own stuff and putting it on his website for $5 a pop-- which is crazy good. He recently did a special for one of his heroes/mentors who never had a special, Barry Crimmins. Great stuff! It's fun watching these guys who have been doing it for 30+ years and are just pros and do it so effortlessly.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Say 8... Say 8.... Say 8... Say 8....
    I was thinking of that bit when I was in the ER recently and was asked about my pain level. My wife was there, so I couldn't go with 10, the childbirth thing and all. And my femur was intact so "8" it was. That was good enough to score me morphine for the rest of the afternoon.

I read in Martin Short's autobio that he, Steve Martin, Tom Hanks and at least one other celeb get together every four years for a colonscopy party. They play cards and drink that swill one must imbibe to clean out the alimentary tract, and in between sprints to the bathroom they play cards. It's a sleepover and they all go to the clinic together the next morning for the scope. I'd willingly submit to one myself if I could get in on that soiree.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I am a standup aficionado. I don't go to many shows but have seen Tom Segura and a few others. I pretty much like every comic to varying degrees. Objectively speaking, Brian Regan, Dane Cook, Jim Gaffigan, i.e. the comics you're not supposed to like if you're a badass- are all pretty amazing at what they do.

I also listen to Adam Carolla, Jay Mohr, Marc Maron, and Joe Rogan's podcasts once in a while, and agree that is a fantastic medium for people like that with just a motor mouth. Joe Rogan's podcast is about 2.5 hours too long, though.

I'm definitely a Louis CK guy. Yes, some of his stuff is unmentionable in mixed company, but he is the best example of a comic I can think of that has absolutely no filter and no agenda. He speaks such truth I can't help but think he's just a pure, good guy that you can relate to (not so much into comics who are probably great guys but come off like miserable people like Doug Stanhope, David Cross and that ilk). Plus he's into that absurdist humor and was a writer during the early Conan Late Night years that were so awesome.

I also love Patton Oswalt, JB Smoove, David Spade, etc. Like I said-- I don't think there's a comic I dislike. I would probably go to more shows if it wasn't such a production and an expense to get to the good part- 2 drink minimums, opening acts, parking, all that stuff. :/
    One of these things is not like the other.

1. The other two guys are funnier that Regan.
    2. Dane Cook is 100x better than both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    One of these things is not like the other.

1. The other two guys are funnier that Regan.
    2. Dane Cook is 100x better than both of them.
    Of course, this is all subjective...

But this one is just ridiculous.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!