Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand Up Comedy

Default Stand Up Comedy

I can't believe we don't have a stand up comedy thread. Lots of stand up fans here.

One of the best things about the Netflix model is all the new stand up specials they are putting out. I watched the new Joe Rogan special (Triggered) which just came out a few days ago. I've never listened to Rogan's podcast or his stand up, so I wasn't sure what I'd get. I was pleasantly surprised. Not the funniest special ever, but I did enjoy it. Also, the dude sweats through his shirt on stage and is virtually unrecognizable these days.

Russell Peters also has a new Netflix special where he looks like Kalani Sitake.

There's a really interesting ... documentary, I guess you would call it... about when Hannibal Burress did 30 shows in 30 nights at a big festival in Scotland.

I also really liked Ali Wong's special Baby Cobra. She's kind of a hot tiny pregnant Asian woman.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

louis ck is the best stand up of his generation. love his stuff.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    louis ck is the best stand up of his generation. love his stuff.
    He's great, but I could do without all the masturbation and cum jokes. Mostly because I don't like the mental image those bring.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Brian Regan. Shows you can be hilarious AND clean.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Don't forget Jim Gaffigan!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I've never been a fan of JRs stand up, I've seen him live a couple times in Vegas and he's just ok.

Love a lot of his podcasts and really like the way he thinks and processes information. He can be a know of all but I think intellectual he's an honest dude.

I have a high school buddy and 2 mission comps who are trying to make it as stand up comedians, they weren't particularly funny guys.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Just stop. No one is buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    I've never been a fan of JRs stand up, I've seen him live a couple times in Vegas and he's just ok.

Love a lot of his podcasts and really like the way he thinks and processes information. He can be a know of all but I think intellectual he's an honest dude.
    I'm not busting up watching it, but he certainly is entertaining.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm not busting up watching it, but he certainly is entertaining.
    I watched the Netflix special and he's basically sprinkled in all his bits into his podcasts over the past 6 months.

It works much better during a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Just stop. No one is buying it.
    I am buying!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

The worst thing about stand up comedy is that if is anything other than excellent, it can be a "trying too hard" sort of thing. And it can get pathetic quick.

The world class comedians are as entertaining as anything you'll find.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Eddie Murphys's Delirious is on YouTube. Still hilarious after 30+ years.

It's not exactly stand up, but Norm MacDonald's appearances on Dennis Miller's HBO show in the 90s were pretty funny.

Can't remember if someone posted it here, but Bill Burr's comments on Yoko Ono in this John Lennon-Chuck Berry TV show performance from the 70s is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am buying!
    Me too.

I've seen him live twice. The first time he was side splitting. The second time he was just very funny. I've got tickets for his show in December and am looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Eddie Murphys's Delirious is on YouTube. Still hilarious after 30+ years.

It's not exactly stand up, but Norm MacDonald's appearances on Dennis Miller's HBO show in the 90s were pretty funny.

Can't remember if someone posted it here, but Bill Burr's comments on Yoko Ono in this John Lennon-Chuck Berry TV show performance from the 70s is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.
    norm is hilarious but i don't love his standup

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    The worst thing about stand up comedy is that if is anything other than excellent, it can be a "trying too hard" sort of thing. And it can get pathetic quick.

The world class comedians are as entertaining as anything you'll find.
    There was an episode of This American Life about a guy named Gad Elmaleh, who is called the French Jerry Seinfeld. Their styles aren't similar, but he is universally known and loved in France. Basically a megastar in Paris, everyone knows his bits and repeats them in everyday life. He has basically conquered the game in France

Now he has decided to start at the bottom of the hill and try to reach the top of the American stand up hill, doing stand up in English for the first time. And he's struggling. The timing isn't the same in English, American audiences don't laugh at the same things as the French, the field is much more crowded. I've listened to his sets and they are pretty meh at this point. Just goes to show how hard it is to put together 60-90 minutes of hilarious material.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

norm is hilarious but i don't love his standup
    He's at his best in an interview format with another comedian/late night talk show host. His appearances with Conan and Miller back in the 90s are the best.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    He's at his best in an interview format with another comedian/late night talk show host. His appearances with Conan and Miller back in the 90s are the best.
    His recent appearance on Adam Carolla's podcast was above average.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

I must be a prude as I find most comedians to be disgusting people with dirty minds and dirty mouths. Just don't find it funny.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Patton Oswalt on 63 y/o moms is pretty funny. Also, David Cross reading a Restoration Hardware catalog at the end of his Netflix special made me laugh harder than most anything I've seen in years.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I love stand up, for most of the last 5-6 years I listen to stand up and comedian's podcasts almost all the time I spend in my car.

I really like Rogan and I saw him in Portland a few years ago and thought he killed, I do agree with fus that I think overall his podcast is awesome and sometimes his humor translates better into story/conversation of podcast than stand up. The same is true with Bert Kreischer, Jim Norton, Robert Kelly, Louis Gomez, Rich Vos, Big Jay Oakerson, Norm MacDonald, Collin Quinn. All have some razor wit and can destroy in a conversation or podcast, but their stand up sometimes isn't as funny.

One guy I really love that I think his specials are hilarious is Tom Segura, while his podcast with his wife is ok. He has a football podcast called Charge it to the Game that is a fun listen though.

Other guys I've listened to or had new specials recently that I think are really good, Dan Soder and Sebastian Maniscalo (he's a clean comic).

I can listen to all three of Mitch Hedberg's albums anytime. I have probably listened to Daniel Tosh's "True Stories I Made Up" 35 times.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

I can listen to all three of Mitch Hedberg's albums anytime.
    Me too, but I hate drugs so much.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I love stand up, for most of the last 5-6 years I listen to stand up and comedian's podcasts almost all the time I spend in my car.

I really like Rogan and I saw him in Portland a few years ago and thought he killed, I do agree with fus that I think overall his podcast is awesome and sometimes his humor translates better into story/conversation of podcast than stand up. The same is true with Bert Kreischer, Jim Norton, Robert Kelly, Louis Gomez, Rich Vos, Big Jay Oakerson, Norm MacDonald, Collin Quinn. All have some razor wit and can destroy in a conversation or podcast, but their stand up sometimes isn't as funny.

One guy I really love that I think his specials are hilarious is Tom Segura, while his podcast with his wife is ok. He has a football podcast called Charge it to the Game that is a fun listen though.

Other guys I've listened to or had new specials recently that I think are really good, Dan Soder and Sebastian Maniscalo (he's a clean comic).

I can listen to all three of Mitch Hedberg's albums anytime. I have probably listened to Daniel Tosh's "True Stories I Made Up" 35 times.
    I think Tom Segura's bit on The First 48 Hours is brilliant.

I also really liked Greg Giraldo. I didn't really watch his stuff until after he was gone though.

Bill Burr is probably my current favorite. Anthony Jeselnik is also hilarious.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Once again, Brian Regan is consistently funny. Not gut-busting funny, but solid every time. There's not many things that happen in the NWC clan's life that can't be connected to a Regan line.

OK, so maybe we like him a little too much...

I enjoy Hannibal Burress a lot.

His bit on a bachelor party in NOLA is hilarious.

He's weird, my wife doesn't get him but I think I do.

Speaking of Opie and Anthony, it seems like this has been posted before in another thread:

There's also a clip on youtube of Jim Norton doing commentary while watching an episode of Hoarders which is pretty funny.

He's one of my favorites.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I think Tom Segura's bit on The First 48 Hours is brilliant.

I also really liked Greg Giraldo. I didn't really watch his stuff until after he was gone though.

Bill Burr is probably my current favorite. Anthony Jeselnik is also hilarious.
    greg giraldo's roast stuff was always great, but again i don't think it translates to standup

hannibal is great. i've seen him twice live and he killed

hannibal is great. i've seen him twice live and he killed
    I saw him last year and he was insanely funny. I don't like to laugh out loud in crowds but he had me rolling.

I have really gotten into Mike Birbiglia lately. In the process of listening to all his stuff on Amazon. He is hilarious.