Stand Up Comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Up Comedy

I can't believe we don't have a stand up comedy thread. Lots of stand up fans here.

One of the best things about the Netflix model is all the new stand up specials they are putting out. I watched the new Joe Rogan special (Triggered) which just came out a few days ago. I've never listened to Rogan's podcast or his stand up, so I wasn't sure what I'd get. I was pleasantly surprised. Not the funniest special ever, but I did enjoy it. Also, the dude sweats through his shirt on stage and is virtually unrecognizable these days.

Russell Peters also has a new Netflix special where he looks like Kalani Sitake.

There's a really interesting ... documentary, I guess you would call it... about when Hannibal Burress did 30 shows in 30 nights at a big festival in Scotland.

I also really liked Ali Wong's special Baby Cobra. She's kind of a hot tiny pregnant Asian woman.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

louis ck is the best stand up of his generation. love his stuff.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      louis ck is the best stand up of his generation. love his stuff.
      He's great, but I could do without all the masturbation and cum jokes. Mostly because I don't like the mental image those bring.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Brian Regan. Shows you can be hilarious AND clean.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Don't forget Jim Gaffigan!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I've never been a fan of JRs stand up, I've seen him live a couple times in Vegas and he's just ok.

Love a lot of his podcasts and really like the way he thinks and processes information. He can be a know of all but I think intellectual he's an honest dude.

I have a high school buddy and 2 mission comps who are trying to make it as stand up comedians, they weren't particularly funny guys.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              Just stop. No one is buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                I've never been a fan of JRs stand up, I've seen him live a couple times in Vegas and he's just ok.

Love a lot of his podcasts and really like the way he thinks and processes information. He can be a know of all but I think intellectual he's an honest dude.
                I'm not busting up watching it, but he certainly is entertaining.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  I'm not busting up watching it, but he certainly is entertaining.
                  I watched the Netflix special and he's basically sprinkled in all his bits into his podcasts over the past 6 months.

It works much better during a conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    Just stop. No one is buying it.
                    I am buying!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The worst thing about stand up comedy is that if is anything other than excellent, it can be a "trying too hard" sort of thing. And it can get pathetic quick.

The world class comedians are as entertaining as anything you'll find.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Eddie Murphys's Delirious is on YouTube. Still hilarious after 30+ years.

It's not exactly stand up, but Norm MacDonald's appearances on Dennis Miller's HBO show in the 90s were pretty funny.

Can't remember if someone posted it here, but Bill Burr's comments on Yoko Ono in this John Lennon-Chuck Berry TV show performance from the 70s is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I am buying!
                          Me too.

I've seen him live twice. The first time he was side splitting. The second time he was just very funny. I've got tickets for his show in December and am looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Eddie Murphys's Delirious is on YouTube. Still hilarious after 30+ years.

It's not exactly stand up, but Norm MacDonald's appearances on Dennis Miller's HBO show in the 90s were pretty funny.

Can't remember if someone posted it here, but Bill Burr's comments on Yoko Ono in this John Lennon-Chuck Berry TV show performance from the 70s is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.
                            norm is hilarious but i don't love his standup
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                              The worst thing about stand up comedy is that if is anything other than excellent, it can be a "trying too hard" sort of thing. And it can get pathetic quick.

The world class comedians are as entertaining as anything you'll find.
                              There was an episode of This American Life about a guy named Gad Elmaleh, who is called the French Jerry Seinfeld. Their styles aren't similar, but he is universally known and loved in France. Basically a megastar in Paris, everyone knows his bits and repeats them in everyday life. He has basically conquered the game in France

Now he has decided to start at the bottom of the hill and try to reach the top of the American stand up hill, doing stand up in English for the first time. And he's struggling. The timing isn't the same in English, American audiences don't laugh at the same things as the French, the field is much more crowded. I've listened to his sets and they are pretty meh at this point. Just goes to show how hard it is to put together 60-90 minutes of hilarious material.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X