X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Country

Cool.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Boom, B12-itches!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

My nephew tried to walk on but didn't make the cut. I think his PR for the two mile is sub 9:30. We must have some fast athletes is all I could think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        My nephew tried to walk on but didn't make the cut. I think his PR for the two mile is sub 9:30. We must have some fast athletes is all I could think.
        The Mormon Demographic does disproportionately well in distance running (both XC and track). It is something that suits us very well.

Remember the name Lexy Halladay. She is a freshman phenom at Mountain View High in Boise. I watched her set the course record at the prestigious Tiger-Grizz meet in IF a few weeks ago where she smoked two girls (one from Madison and the other from Blackfoot) who are both likely to be Division 1 caliber runners. In fact it will not surprise me if Lexy doesn't end up being teammates with Rachel Morrin from RC Vikings way at the BYU in the future. Morrin is a beast herself and she did not even try to compete with Halladay. The race was over at 1000 meters as Lexy opened a huge lead by that point. If Lexy stays healthy she will be sub 18 and maybee sub 17:30 on most 5K courses this year.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          The Mormon Demographic does disproportionately well in distance running (both XC and track). It is something that suits us very well.

Remember the name Lexy Halladay. She is a freshman phenom at Mountain View High in Boise. I watched her set the course record at the prestigious Tiger-Grizz meet in IF a few weeks ago where she smoked two girls (one from Madison and the other from Blackfoot) who are both likely to be Division 1 caliber runners. In fact it will not surprise me if Lexy doesn't end up being teammates with Rachel Morrin from RC Vikings way at the BYU in the future. Morrin is a beast herself and she did not even try to compete with Halladay. The race was over at 1000 meters as Lexy opened a huge lead by that point. If Lexy stays healthy she will be sub 18 and maybee sub 17:30 on most 5K courses this year.
          Good to know. Two or three of our NCAA championships come from X Country.

It is fun and full of pageantry to watch a great X Country meet.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Good to know. Two or three of our NCAA championships come from X Country.

It is fun and full of pageantry to watch a great X Country meet.
            I agree about the spectator aspect. Especially if it is a well laid out course that allows spectators to move to multiple spots throughout a race. The past two years I have really learned to enjoy the races of some of the bigger invitationals we take our kids.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I agree about the spectator aspect. Especially if it is a well laid out course that allows spectators to move to multiple spots throughout a race. The past two years I have really learned to enjoy the races of some of the bigger invitationals we take our kids.
              It's exciting to watch the kids progress, to follow other competitors and run to various vantage points trying at the end to see the finish.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

It's exciting to watch the kids progress, to follow other competitors and run to various vantage points trying at the end to see the finish.
                My kids have a meet this afternoon. It will be fun to run around the desert watching them. Luckily we live in a area where everyone is slow, so they do well.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  My kids have a meet this afternoon. It will be fun to run around the desert watching them. Luckily we live in a area where everyone is slow, so they do well.
                  I'll bet you folks have some great XC courses out your way. Back in the day when we went over the hill and thru the woods to grandma's house, our route took us through Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop and mighty Benton enroute to Tonopah, Wells and Jackpot as the gateway to God's Country. I had a lot of deep thoughts back in those days such as "how much does the Mayor of Benton get paid?" and "wow - I'll bet you could set up some really fabulous XC courses in these parts."

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I'll bet you folks have some great XC courses out your way. Back in the day when we went over the hill and thru the woods to grandma's house, our route took us through Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop and mighty Benton enroute to Tonopah, Wells and Jackpot as the gateway to God's Country. I had a lot of deep thoughts back in those days such as "how much does the Mayor of Benton get paid?" and "wow - I'll bet you could set up some really fabulous XC courses in these parts."
                    The course is fun and tough. Sand, hills, you get to jump a creek a couple of times and run through the pet cemetery. What more could you ask for?

Sorry Benton isn't incorporated, so no mayor. Heck in Bishop the Mayor is just a member of the City Council, so she only get paid $6,600 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      The course is fun and tough. Sand, hills, you get to jump a creek a couple of times and run through the pet cemetery. What more could you ask for?

Sorry Benton isn't incorporated, so no mayor. Heck in Bishop the Mayor is just a member of the City Council, so she only get paid $6,600 a year.
                      It is a sport that rewards those who work hard. I have enjoyed watching it.

Comment

BYU men are currently number 2. It might be a little high but they are running well now.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-c...en/d1/ustfccca

Lexy Halladay is running well. She own the Portland meet last week, in a 17:19.
                        Last edited by Topper; 10-04-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

BYU men are currently number 2. It might be a little high but they are running well now.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-c...en/d1/ustfccca

Lexy Halladay is running well. She own the Portland meet last week, in a 17:19.
                          It will be fun to see how Lexy finishes this year in the National Level XC races. If she can get on a fast course at lower elevation I think she can start getting under 17:00 for 5K. In fact she already beat last year's Nike Cross Country National Runner up by 20 secs at that Portland race. I think FloRider occasionally ranks the HS XC runners and my guess is she has gotten into the top 5 already but those that run know how much of a crap shoot it is to rank XC runners because the courses are so wildly different. Track races are on flat tracks so adjusting for altitude is the only consideration one must take into account. But XC courses can have such elevation gains, significantly different surfaces etc. Not to mention being upwards of 100-200 meters different in length on occasion. In any case she continues to improve and it is fun to watch her develop.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

It will be fun to see how Lexy finishes this year in the National Level XC races. If she can get on a fast course at lower elevation I think she can start getting under 17:00 for 5K. In fact she already beat last year's Nike Cross Country National Runner up by 20 secs at that Portland race. I think FloRider occasionally ranks the HS XC runners and my guess is she has gotten into the top 5 already but those that run know how much of a crap shoot it is to rank XC runners because the courses are so wildly different. Track races are on flat tracks so adjusting for altitude is the only consideration one must take into account. But XC courses can have such elevation gains, significantly different surfaces etc. Not to mention being upwards of 100-200 meters different in length on occasion. In any case she continues to improve and it is fun to watch her develop.
                            And the national races are difficult for somebody in Idaho as well as for some in California for different reasons.

In Idaho, the high school season is relatively short so her peak performances will be spread out quite a time frame. Whereas California has barely finished its races in time for the top runners to go to the various national races.

Getting under 17 is a special time for the girls. Have you ever seen her race?

Comment

And the national races are difficult for somebody in Idaho as well as for some in California for different reasons.

In Idaho, the high school season is relatively short so her peak performances will be spread out quite a time frame. Whereas California has barely finished its races in time for the top runners to go to the various national races.

Getting under 17 is a special time for the girls. Have you ever seen her race?
                              There is a girl that my daughter ran against in track last year that is very special as well. Corie Smith from Buchanan HS near Fresno. Also a soph, she ran a 17:09 earlier this year and a s 15:58 for a 3 mile course. Those 2 as seniors will be a great battle if they stay with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X