Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Country

Default X-Country

Cool.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Boom, B12-itches!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

My nephew tried to walk on but didn't make the cut. I think his PR for the two mile is sub 9:30. We must have some fast athletes is all I could think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    My nephew tried to walk on but didn't make the cut. I think his PR for the two mile is sub 9:30. We must have some fast athletes is all I could think.
    The Mormon Demographic does disproportionately well in distance running (both XC and track). It is something that suits us very well.

Remember the name Lexy Halladay. She is a freshman phenom at Mountain View High in Boise. I watched her set the course record at the prestigious Tiger-Grizz meet in IF a few weeks ago where she smoked two girls (one from Madison and the other from Blackfoot) who are both likely to be Division 1 caliber runners. In fact it will not surprise me if Lexy doesn't end up being teammates with Rachel Morrin from RC Vikings way at the BYU in the future. Morrin is a beast herself and she did not even try to compete with Halladay. The race was over at 1000 meters as Lexy opened a huge lead by that point. If Lexy stays healthy she will be sub 18 and maybee sub 17:30 on most 5K courses this year.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    The Mormon Demographic does disproportionately well in distance running (both XC and track). It is something that suits us very well.

Remember the name Lexy Halladay. She is a freshman phenom at Mountain View High in Boise. I watched her set the course record at the prestigious Tiger-Grizz meet in IF a few weeks ago where she smoked two girls (one from Madison and the other from Blackfoot) who are both likely to be Division 1 caliber runners. In fact it will not surprise me if Lexy doesn't end up being teammates with Rachel Morrin from RC Vikings way at the BYU in the future. Morrin is a beast herself and she did not even try to compete with Halladay. The race was over at 1000 meters as Lexy opened a huge lead by that point. If Lexy stays healthy she will be sub 18 and maybee sub 17:30 on most 5K courses this year.
    Good to know. Two or three of our NCAA championships come from X Country.

It is fun and full of pageantry to watch a great X Country meet.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Good to know. Two or three of our NCAA championships come from X Country.

It is fun and full of pageantry to watch a great X Country meet.
    I agree about the spectator aspect. Especially if it is a well laid out course that allows spectators to move to multiple spots throughout a race. The past two years I have really learned to enjoy the races of some of the bigger invitationals we take our kids.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

I agree about the spectator aspect. Especially if it is a well laid out course that allows spectators to move to multiple spots throughout a race. The past two years I have really learned to enjoy the races of some of the bigger invitationals we take our kids.
    It's exciting to watch the kids progress, to follow other competitors and run to various vantage points trying at the end to see the finish.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

It's exciting to watch the kids progress, to follow other competitors and run to various vantage points trying at the end to see the finish.
    My kids have a meet this afternoon. It will be fun to run around the desert watching them. Luckily we live in a area where everyone is slow, so they do well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    My kids have a meet this afternoon. It will be fun to run around the desert watching them. Luckily we live in a area where everyone is slow, so they do well.
    I'll bet you folks have some great XC courses out your way. Back in the day when we went over the hill and thru the woods to grandma's house, our route took us through Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop and mighty Benton enroute to Tonopah, Wells and Jackpot as the gateway to God's Country. I had a lot of deep thoughts back in those days such as "how much does the Mayor of Benton get paid?" and "wow - I'll bet you could set up some really fabulous XC courses in these parts."

-DOCTOR Wuap

I'll bet you folks have some great XC courses out your way. Back in the day when we went over the hill and thru the woods to grandma's house, our route took us through Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop and mighty Benton enroute to Tonopah, Wells and Jackpot as the gateway to God's Country. I had a lot of deep thoughts back in those days such as "how much does the Mayor of Benton get paid?" and "wow - I'll bet you could set up some really fabulous XC courses in these parts."
    The course is fun and tough. Sand, hills, you get to jump a creek a couple of times and run through the pet cemetery. What more could you ask for?

Sorry Benton isn't incorporated, so no mayor. Heck in Bishop the Mayor is just a member of the City Council, so she only get paid $6,600 a year.

Pre-Historic Man

The course is fun and tough. Sand, hills, you get to jump a creek a couple of times and run through the pet cemetery. What more could you ask for?

Sorry Benton isn't incorporated, so no mayor. Heck in Bishop the Mayor is just a member of the City Council, so she only get paid $6,600 a year.
    It is a sport that rewards those who work hard. I have enjoyed watching it.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU men are currently number 2. It might be a little high but they are running well now.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-c...en/d1/ustfccca

Lexy Halladay is running well. She own the Portland meet last week, in a 17:19.
    Last edited by Topper; 10-04-2017 at 06:18 PM.

BYU men are currently number 2. It might be a little high but they are running well now.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-c...en/d1/ustfccca

Lexy Halladay is running well. She own the Portland meet last week, in a 17:19.
    It will be fun to see how Lexy finishes this year in the National Level XC races. If she can get on a fast course at lower elevation I think she can start getting under 17:00 for 5K. In fact she already beat last year's Nike Cross Country National Runner up by 20 secs at that Portland race. I think FloRider occasionally ranks the HS XC runners and my guess is she has gotten into the top 5 already but those that run know how much of a crap shoot it is to rank XC runners because the courses are so wildly different. Track races are on flat tracks so adjusting for altitude is the only consideration one must take into account. But XC courses can have such elevation gains, significantly different surfaces etc. Not to mention being upwards of 100-200 meters different in length on occasion. In any case she continues to improve and it is fun to watch her develop.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

It will be fun to see how Lexy finishes this year in the National Level XC races. If she can get on a fast course at lower elevation I think she can start getting under 17:00 for 5K. In fact she already beat last year's Nike Cross Country National Runner up by 20 secs at that Portland race. I think FloRider occasionally ranks the HS XC runners and my guess is she has gotten into the top 5 already but those that run know how much of a crap shoot it is to rank XC runners because the courses are so wildly different. Track races are on flat tracks so adjusting for altitude is the only consideration one must take into account. But XC courses can have such elevation gains, significantly different surfaces etc. Not to mention being upwards of 100-200 meters different in length on occasion. In any case she continues to improve and it is fun to watch her develop.
    And the national races are difficult for somebody in Idaho as well as for some in California for different reasons.

In Idaho, the high school season is relatively short so her peak performances will be spread out quite a time frame. Whereas California has barely finished its races in time for the top runners to go to the various national races.

Getting under 17 is a special time for the girls. Have you ever seen her race?

And the national races are difficult for somebody in Idaho as well as for some in California for different reasons.

In Idaho, the high school season is relatively short so her peak performances will be spread out quite a time frame. Whereas California has barely finished its races in time for the top runners to go to the various national races.

Getting under 17 is a special time for the girls. Have you ever seen her race?
    There is a girl that my daughter ran against in track last year that is very special as well. Corie Smith from Buchanan HS near Fresno. Also a soph, she ran a 17:09 earlier this year and a s 15:58 for a 3 mile course. Those 2 as seniors will be a great battle if they stay with it.

Pre-Historic Man

There is a girl that my daughter ran against in track last year that is very special as well. Corie Smith from Buchanan HS near Fresno. Also a soph, she ran a 17:09 earlier this year and a s 15:58 for a 3 mile course. Those 2 as seniors will be a great battle if they stay with it.
    Is she destined for BYU? Please say yes!

Is she destined for BYU? Please say yes!
    no idea. Only seen her run in 2 meets last year, but she is good.

Pre-Historic Man

no idea. Only seen her run in 2 meets last year, but she is good.
    Recruit her, according to all NCAA rules of course. Imagine those two on the same team in college.

Pre-Historic Man

The Men won in Kentucky at Pre-Nationals, defeating Oregon and Colorado.

http://www.flotrack.org/result/10943...l#.WeJBz4prxp8

The Women laid an egg and finished 7th, in large part because the fifty runner had a weak run.

Pre-Historic Man

The Men won WCC sweeping the first five spots against number 3 Portland, which rested a few top runners. Next up in two weeks, Mountain Regionals, which should include top ranked NAU and Colorado.

The Men won WCC sweeping the first five spots against number 3 Portland, which rested a few top runners. Next up in two weeks, Mountain Regionals, which should include top ranked NAU and Colorado.
    That was a fun race to watch.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I don't follow CC very much, but I was surprised the course was on or around the Metropolitan Golf Course, which is a typical flat, airport golf course. Aren't most CC courses hillier than that?

It's going to be a dog fight between BYU and nau. Would be a fun race to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I don't follow CC very much, but I was surprised the course was on or around the Metropolitan Golf Course, which is a typical flat, airport golf course. Aren't most CC courses hillier than that?
    Most courses are what are available, but on golf courses. USF was the host school so that's what they selected IIRC.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    It's going to be a dog fight between BYU and nau. Would be a fun race to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BYU is running well but nationals are four weeks away. Regionals will be the first time NAU and BYU meet up and it will be interesting to see if each squad puts forth its best squad or holds off until nationals.

BYU has the most depth I've ever seen. Getting Clinger to postpone the mission has been valuable as he has consistently run the third placed man at a high level.

Pre-Historic Man

Regionals are in Logan, Utah today, with number 1 NAU and number 5 Colorado in attendance. BYU will be holding out several of their starting five to rest up for nationals. The only purpose of today is to qualify for national finals in two weeks. It will be the first time all season that BYU and NAU have met but it may not be representative of how they will fare in two weeks.

The women run first and the men run their first 10K all season.

Regionals are in Logan, Utah today, with number 1 NAU and number 5 Colorado in attendance. BYU will be holding out several of their starting five to rest up for nationals. The only purpose of today is to qualify for national finals in two weeks. It will be the first time all season that BYU and NAU have met but it may not be representative of how they will fare in two weeks.

The women run first and the men run their first 10K all season.
    I also read that this is the first time that nationally ranked #1 and #2 teams will meet in regionals. Apparently there is a live stream somewhere. Hoping I can find it and tune in at 10:15 (my time). If anyone finds a link please share for the rest of us.

I also read that this is the first time that nationally ranked #1 and #2 teams will meet in regionals. Apparently there is a live stream somewhere. Hoping I can find it and tune in at 10:15 (my time). If anyone finds a link please share for the rest of us.
    I went to the regional championship website and nothing, not even an online standings update. It's being organized by Utah State, so no surprise there.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I went to the regional championship website and nothing, not even an online standings update. It's being organized by Utah State, so no surprise there.
    FloTrack has a live streaming but you need an account.

There is supposed to be live stats but I got this when I went to that website.
    https://www.runnercard.com/e/runner.Main?meet=1001504

http://live.flotrack.org/#/event/333...selection-show

http://www.flotrack.org/?utm_source=...erm=ournetwork
    Last edited by Topper; 11-10-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU is only three votes behind NAU but this meet won't show what each team has as I believe both teams are holding back some better runners.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/cross-country-men/d1