Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TabCATS Musings

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I have a friend in the SF Gay Men’s Choir. I met him on my mission while I served in his family's Ward. His mission (to San Francisco) ended while I was there. He was pretty obviously gay, and he was a great help to us. I had a few classes with him at BYU, and he had changed. Still really gay, but depressed and withdrawn.

I was happy to connect with him on Facebook. He’s out of the closet, gave up an I-banking job to be a high-end florist. He still goes to church every week so that he can offer support to other gay Mormons.

This meant a lot to him.
    I think I know that dude. He didn't happen to go to law school, did he?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Yeah, he did. Does his last name rhyme with rake?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I was blown away by the rendition of Come Come Ye Saints during the Saturday session. Capelius, what is the version? Who arranged it?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I was blown away by the rendition of Come Come Ye Saints during the Saturday session. Copelius, what is the version? Who arranged it?
    It is a Mack Wilberg arrangement. It is a lot of fun, especially with the orchestra, but we could never fit them with the GA seats installed. Mack arranged all but 3 of the conference pieces. Ryan had two with If I Listen with My Heart and In Hymns of Praise. I cannot remember who arranged I Will Follow God's Plan, but is was someone we regularly use.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    It is a Mack Wilberg arrangement. It is a lot of fun, especially with the orchestra, but we could never fit them with the GA seats installed. Mack arranged all but 3 of the conference pieces. Ryan had two with If I Listen with My Heart and In Hymns of Praise. I cannot remember who arranged I Will Follow God's Plan, but is was someone we regularly use.
    AA's going to be pissed.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Name change for this thread please.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I liked Surfah's declaration that the new name, by which the MoTab shall be known, is TabCATS.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    AA's going to be pissed.
    I thought about a shout out but I think we already beat that dead horse elsewhere.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Done
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

The purge appears to be complete. Thanks!

Good job, Cope! The music tonight was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Agreed
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Slayed it tonight. That finale of Handel's Messiah was amazing.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Was it just me or were the levels off? You could barely hear the men.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Anti-MW bias showing again! It was fine.

Dump the soundbar.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Thanks. It was a lot of fun and I was able to get enough cough drops to keep from disturbing any songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Singing it after the introduction from Pres. Nelson made it that much more powerful to me. I had to really focus to keep it from overwhelming me.

It may have been. This is the toughest setup we do with the orchestra. Because they are so close, some of their sound, and especially the brass, bleeds into the choir microphones, so the sound booth has a nightmare trying to balance it all out. That is why when you see them in the normal conference center set up they are so far below us and we rely on monitors and eyes to stay together. Both venues that we perform in have interesting challenges in producing a good sound, especially for broadcasts.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Anti-MW bias showing again! It was fine.
    I actually thought they did fine. And it was nice of the guy at the top to make sure we didn't have to close with a MW arrangement.

I actually thought they did fine. And it was nice of the guy at the top to make sure we didn't have to close with a MW arrangement.
    Mack edited it.

Mack edited it.
    Ha — take that AA. Handel is not too good for Mack to improve on him quite a bit!

Mack edited it.
    I didn't hear it but my guess is he cut out some or most of the middle section where it gets slow and quiet and then builds back to the chorus. Also I bet he did not ,modulate keys in the Wilbergian manner. Am I close?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I didn't hear it but my guess is he cut out some or most of the middle section where it gets slow and quiet and then builds back to the chorus. Also I bet he did not ,modulate keys in the Wilbergian manner. Am I close?
    From what I can tell it is pretty subtle. inserting 16th rests where other editions have eighth notes and so forth. No significant changes, but from Mack's perspective a truer version than what has resulted over the centuries. He did it for the entire Messiah that was recorded in 2015.

Princeps Inter Pares

Mack edited it.
    That answers my question: to this man, truly nothing is sacred.

From what I can tell it is pretty subtle. inserting 16th rests where other editions have eighth notes and so forth. No significant changes, but from Mack's perspective a truer version than what has resulted over the centuries. He did it for the entire Messiah that was recorded in 2015.
    Those sound like notation edits which are really not that big of a deal.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I was wondering why it seemed to be moving faster than what I'm used to, and it was something other than just tempo. Makes sense now.

Mack edited it.
    I am no expert but I am pretty familiar with the Messiah and WIlberg edited the piece it was solely notational or he might have cut off some of the notes a fourth of a beat early by using a sixteenth rest for half an eighth, as Copelius suggested. I was actually hoping for a more significant change. For example, there is a version of Vivaldi's four seasons out there that takes out a half beat from several measures and the change totally reinvigorates the piece, making it different and interesting where before it was repetitive and dull. Wilberg did nothing like that, however.

Nonetheless this performance was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes using a large choir on the Messiah bogs the music down and makes the lyrics incomprehensible. But this performance was crisp (perhaps because he added rests and shortened notes so as to add space for the ear to hear) and clear and musical. Really well done.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.