Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went riding today for the first time in a long time

Well sortof....

I did a spinning class for an hour. Now I am decidedly.....saddle sore.

I think it's time to invest in some good bike shorts (preferably padded in an important area). I've never bought cycling clothes before. What would you guys recommend? In the summer I like to mountain bike (a little....I need to start doing more)....not that that makes a difference.

Thanks

Go to www.nashbar.com and pick up a cheap pair of their own brand. If you stick with cycling you'll move up to some nice Pearl Izumi's or some such, but Nashbar is fine for the probationary period.

Comment

Originally posted by YardTime View Post
      Well sortof....

I did a spinning class for an hour. Now I am decidedly.....saddle sore.

I think it's time to invest in some good bike shorts (preferably padded in an important area). I've never bought cycling clothes before. What would you guys recommend? In the summer I like to mountain bike (a little....I need to start doing more)....not that that makes a difference.

Thanks
      Gidget got me to go to Spin class with her twice a week when we lived in Utah. I loved it. Definitely need some shorts though. We went to the Pearl Izumi outlet in Park City. I got some Ultrasensors for cheap. I like them.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

You can also go to the Pearl Izumi outlet in Park City assuming you are in Northern Utah. I have found really good deals on stuff and it keeps getting better as retailers are using every outlet at their disposal to offload inventory.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Being impatient myself, I may go and visit Pearl Izumi. What should I expect to pay for a decent pair?

Out of curiosity....anyone else a member of LifeTime Fitness?

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Being impatient myself, I may go and visit Pearl Izumi. What should I expect to pay for a decent pair?

Out of curiosity....anyone else a member of LifeTime Fitness?
            You can get a pretty good idea on that nashbar link. They have lots of pearl izumi's listed.

Comment

Not to throw a kink in the shopping adventure at Pearl Izumi, but you may want to consider bibs. Shorts versus Bibs. I like bibs. I found the shorts to be uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by bYuPride View Post
                Not to throw a kink in the shopping adventure at Pearl Izumi, but you may want to consider bibs. Shorts versus Bibs. I like bibs. I found the shorts to be uncomfortable.
                For a spin class?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  Go to www.nashbar.com and pick up a cheap pair of their own brand. If you stick with cycling you'll move up to some nice Pearl Izumi's or some such, but Nashbar is fine for the probationary period.
                  How about a heart rate monitor? I saw some listed at the nashbar site you linked. Do the cheaper models give accurate results? Any preferred brands?

Comment

How about a heart rate monitor? I saw some listed at the nashbar site you linked. Do the cheaper models give accurate results? Any preferred brands?

I went with a cheap brand the first time (Oregon Tech or something like that) and it didn't last a year. I bought a Polar F6 and love it.

Comment

Most of them will give you accurate results, but like steel says, the life of the watch varies greatly among the different brands. You're also paying for the readability of the display and other features, like training zones, calorie estimates, and compatibility with other machines (like treadmills at the gym).

Also, if you plan to do any serious outdoor riding, you can also consider getting something that also works as an odometer and speed sensor.

Comment

Working...
                      X