2016 TdF Stage One: Cav is the Caviest Cav there is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 TdF Stage One: Cav is the Caviest Cav there is

There was a time when Cavendish was untouchable. No one could meet his speed in the last few meters of a stage. But the sheen has come off of his sprints the last few years and because of his desire to win gold in track cycling, this year he has spent most of his training on the track instead of on the road. No one really felt he could be what he has been in the past. And yet, on this typically sunny but somewhat windy day in Normandy, Cavendish turned back the clock and turned over the pedals faster than anyone else, cruising to a surprisingly easy win over Marcel Kittel, who most expected to win today. And does it surprise anyone else to be reminded that this is the very first time Cav has actually worn Yellow? The Man from Manx looks good in that color but it still amazes me that he has never been there before. One more stage win and he ties The Badger for most stage wins. Go Cav.

This stage was full of crashes. This is nto surprising on the first stage, but it is disappointing that Contador has begun the race with a crash and injury. He will likely be back at the start tomorrow, but it is inauspicious.

And why on earth did the organizers allow the old style barriers with feet that extend onto the road be used in the final 2 kilometers of the stage? they caused another crash today. Greipel was outspoken in his criticism and he is correct. it is embarrassing that they used those barriers.

Can I just say how much I love Peter Sagan as a rider? He climbs, he pulls, he cruises and he sprints. Plus he does amazing bike tricks. The guy is hard to believe. Watch for him tomorrow rolling into Cherbourg. The stage tomorrow ends on a surprisingly difficult and steep climb. Maybe it will give Sagan a chance to pull a victory out for his team and himself?

Man I love the tour.

By the way, I am in Yosemite this weekend (yes, I knew it would be crowded; no I didn't realize how bad it would be, no I will never come back again over the fourth, yes, it is as gorgeous as ever and tomorrow we hike in the high country which should allow us to shed most of the lookey lous, thank goodness) and so can't catch up on results until later at night, like now. SO if anyone esle wants to put it up, I would love to start with a CS review.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.
Working...
X