Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Official BYU Rugby Thread

  1. #1

    Default The Official BYU Rugby Thread

    I didn't see another one. Merge as needed.

    BYU is going for its fourth straight Varsity Cup right now. I don't really know the rules, but it's fun to watch.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  2. #2
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    link or channel?

  3. #3
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    link or channel?
    NBCSN
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  4. #4
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,858

    Default

    too bad. it was a good match.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  5. #5
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    too bad. it was a good match.
    Too many handling errors by BYU in the first half when they could have built a big lead. Instead they were only up 2 at half.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  6. #6
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Too many handling errors by BYU in the first half when they could have built a big lead. Instead they were only up 2 at half.
    Yes; it was a very sloppy first half.

    After listening to the interview with Webb, it is a little like their kiwi beat ours.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  7. #7
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Yes; it was a very sloppy first half.

    After listening to the interview with Webb, it is a little like their kiwi beat ours.
    He had a great 2nd half. Pinpoint defensive kicking and no misses on conversions after taking over the kicking duties. His kick and chase down the sideline to tackle the fullback into touch was very well executed.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  8. #8

    Default

    Hostile, you probably have heard something. Is BYU rugby dead? USA Rugby made rules so RMs lose a year of eligibility, so BYU and Cal start Varsity Cup. Now the word is BYU is out of the Varsity Cup and there are swirling allegations of cheating and ineligible players.

    My opinion of USA Rugby is pretty low, a very political organization run by guys who aren't real bright, but it looks like BYU rugby is in real trouble.

  9. #9
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexTechCoug View Post
    Hostile, you probably have heard something. Is BYU rugby dead? USA Rugby made rules so RMs lose a year of eligibility, so BYU and Cal start Varsity Cup. Now the word is BYU is out of the Varsity Cup and there are swirling allegations of cheating and ineligible players.

    My opinion of USA Rugby is pretty low, a very political organization run by guys who aren't real bright, but it looks like BYU rugby is in real trouble.
    There was a news article about this over the summer, but it quickly disappeared.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Next to the Ocean
    Posts
    859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    There was a news article about this over the summer, but it quickly disappeared.
    I'd be interested in the article. As far as I know USA Rugby has nothing to do with VC.

  11. #11
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    I'd be interested in the article. As far as I know USA Rugby has nothing to do with VC.
    It showed up on my facebook feed. I read it, then I forwarded it to some friends who played for BYU Rugby and the link was broken.

    IIRC, it complained that BYU used a kid who played in the NFL (that doesn't necessarily kill eligibility) and used older players with semi-pro experience overseas. Sounds a bit like the Men's volleyball stuff that happened a decade ago.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Next to the Ocean
    Posts
    859

    Default

    CougarBoard is saying the administration is pulling the rugby club out of Varsity Cup and will go back to USA Rugby. Wow !

  13. #13
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    CougarBoard is saying the administration is pulling the rugby club out of Varsity Cup and will go back to USA Rugby. Wow !
    I saw that and read the article about concerns for "players privacy". It doesn't look like all the information is available at this point.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Next to the Ocean
    Posts
    859

    Default

    It's weird that BYU rugby is pulling out of the league they founded ? Apparently they had a 30 year old former NFLer on roster ? BYU was going to have to vacate a national championship ? The BYU administration is pulling the club ?
    I hope more information becomes available and soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •