No announcement yet.

The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the dems need to do to win is not be crazy. Currently, they are falling over themselves to see who can out crazy the others. Our country really sucks at vetting our future leaders.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Sounds like the same attitude that got Trump elected. Anyone but Hillary. You end up with some pretty bad elected officials when you base your vote on the other guy.
      Yes, there are times when concerns that the other team loses are greater than your team winning.

Indeed, fans of the rival teams frequently valued outgroup losses more than ingroup gains, and this effect was particularly strong when one’s own team was behind in the rivalry.
      When a party feels they are "behind", it can become more important that the other party loses than that one's own party wins.

Comment

• Hey, did Pocahontas raise her hand?

She might be the Dems' last hope... or maybe Skateboard Jesus.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• "We can pay for it by taxing those basturds on wall street..."

ja7b626e1z631.jpg

"Oh sh*t."
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I am not going to comment until we get Donna Brazille's thoughts on this matter...

Who is this Andrew Wang anyway?
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Like rats from a sinking ship...

Biden fundraiser ditches him and warns others may too

A fundraiser for Joe Biden’s 2020 campaign said he is no longer supporting the former vice president's White House bid — and predicted that others may follow suit.

Tom McInerney, a San Francisco-based attorney who was a lead bundler for former President Barack Obama, told CNBC he informed Biden's team of his decision on June 20.

The news of his break comes one day after Biden delivered an uneven debate performance that provoked new doubts about his candidacy and turned a spotlight back on his controversial statements and past policy positions on civil rights and abortion.

“I had actually let the campaign know I’d pulled back my support of Biden for now,” McInerney told the cable network, adding, “I don’t think he did well last night."

And in a potentially troubling sign for Biden, McInerny predicted that others were likely souring on the Democratic front-runner. “I would imagine I’m not alone,” he said.
              [...]
              https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...g-2020-1389857

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I ordered a copy of Marianne Williamson's latest book.

I've wondered for 20 years or so if the spiritual left would ever make political moves. With people more than frustrated with the ties between Christianity and the political right in the U.S., the time seems to have arrived. These spiritual lefites tend to be too global in their thinking to completely by into the micro-aggression/identity politics run rampant/everywhere should be my safe space stuff.

Deepak Chopra for Secretary of Peace.

Karen Armstrong as Ambassador to the U.N.

The Dalai Lama returned to Tibet and Secretary General of the United Galaxy.

LDS lefties may actually get on board with this kind of thing if it takes off. Then they won't be reduced to bringing Colorado brownies to the linger longer.
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  I ordered a copy of Marianne Williamson's latest book.

I've wondered for 20 years or so if the spiritual left would ever make political moves. With people more than frustrated with the ties between Christianity and the political right in the U.S., the time seems to have arrived. These spiritual lefites tend to be too global in their thinking to completely by into the micro-aggression/identity politics run rampant/everywhere should be my safe space stuff.

Deepak Chopra for Secretary of Peace.

Karen Armstrong as Ambassador to the U.N.

The Dalai Lama returned to Tibet and Secretary General of the United Galaxy.

LDS lefties may actually get on board with this kind of thing if it takes off. Then they won't be reduced to bringing Colorado brownies to the linger longer.
                  Ha!
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Tell me it isn't so, Joe....

Biden sees support from Democrats slip 10 points after debate

The percentage of Democrats who say they would vote for former Vice President Joe Biden if the presidential race were held tomorrow slipped by 10 points after the first primary debate.

According to a Morning Consult/FiveThirtyEight poll of likely Democratic voters released on Friday, 41.5 percent said before the debates they would vote for Biden tomorrow, but 31.5 percent said the same thing after Thursday night’s debate.

The apparent decline in support comes after Biden was widely seen as having faltered, including engaging in a stark exchange with Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) over school busing.

Harris herself got a nearly 9 point bump, with 16.6 percent of Democrats saying they would support her after the debate, up from 7.9 percent before the events.

Other 2020 candidates had marginal increases or decreases.
                    [...]
                    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...st-debate-poll

That was a great story that Kamala told about the school bus... and all the dumb Dems believed her.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• School bussing is not the same as desegregation.

Comment

• I think what Kamala Harris said was probably technically true but totally deceptive.

She was a privileged kid with educated and upper middle class parents.

No doubt Biden was correct that for the Federal government mandating bussing of kids to schools far away from their communities whether the kids and parents wanted to be bussed or not was a pretty dumb idea worthy of opposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          School bussing is not the same as desegregation.
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          I think what Kamala Harris said was probably technically true but totally deceptive.

She was a privileged kid with educated and upper middle class parents.

No doubt Biden was correct that for the Federal government mandating bussing of kids to schools far away from their communities whether the kids and parents wanted to be bussed or not was a pretty dumb idea worthy of opposition.
                          Well, opposing forced bussing and federal funding of abortions are now considered "controverial" positions on civil rights and abortions. We are so screwed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Well, opposing forced bussing and federal funding of abortions are now considered "controverial" positions on civil rights and abortions. We are so screwed.

You’re talking about the primary season from a party you already don’t agree with. You’ll find plenty of these moments, just as you would any year. Fwiw, the moderate guy is my first choice at this point.

I’ll repeat my statement that any of them would be an upgrade over Trump who seems immune from scandal fallout. Trump coziness with Russia (and yes the Mueller report didn’t find him free from wrong-doing or suspicion) and dictators is dangerous for our country. He disparages leaders from free countries and flowers Kim Jong Un etc. with praise.

So even the looniest or most unappealing Democrat would be an upgrade. I actually really really like genuinely conservative and libertarian, Bill Weld who is running against Trump in the primary. Ex-gov of mass. Quite conservative but pragmatic and able to be bipartisan. Not on policy, but on character I like him better than several democratic candidates.
                            Last edited by frank ryan; 06-30-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              You’re talking about the primary season from a party you already don’t agree with. You’ll find plenty of these moments, just as you would any year. Fwiw, the moderate guy is my first choice at this point.

I’ll repeat my statement that any of them would be an upgrade over Trump who seems immune from scandal fallout. Trump coziness with Russia (and yes the Mueller report didn’t find him free from wrong-doing or suspicion) and dictators is dangerous for our country. He disparages leaders from free countries and flowers Kim Jong Un etc. with praise.

So even the looniest or most unappealing Democrat would be an upgrade. I actually really really like genuinely conservative and libertarian, Bill Weld who is running against Trump in the primary. Ex-gov of mass. Quite conservative but pragmatic and able to be bipartisan. Not on policy, but on character I like him better than several democratic candidates.
                              I could vote for Bill.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I thought this was a good article on the issues with the dems open borders policy.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...migration.html

Sounds like a major issue with immigration law right now is the overly broad definition of asylum. If you can say with a straight face that someone is being mean to you, you can make an asylum claim in the US.

"Last month alone, 144,000 people were detained at the border making an asylum claim. This year, about a million Central Americans will have relocated to the U.S. on those grounds."

Trump's policy hasn't changed significantly from Obama's but the number of immigrants is way, way up. The dems position on this has been to claim that there is no crisis and that Trump is racist. But the reality is that conditions have changed and the policy needs to adapt. The court systems and facilities for handling all of these "asylum seekers" are overwhelmed.

Comment

Working...
                                X