The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    By who I think is more qualified. Don’t you vote for who you think is the best candidate, even if they might lose?

I don’t view someone campaigning more effectively or winning as the measurement of whom is the better candidate for the job. That shouldn’t seem weird to anyone. I guess your just being contradictory or something.
    No you personally. And I'm not talking about who is more qualified for the job. I'm talking about who the public at large considered the best candidate. How can you argue that the winner of a race was not the "best" candidate for the majority of the people?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      No you personally. And I'm not talking about who is more qualified for the job. I'm talking about who the public at large considered the best candidate. How can you argue that the winner of a race was not the "best" candidate for the majority of the people?
      I still don’t see the point you’re making. That’s not what creek said either. The public at large preferred Hillary, but Trump won through the electoral college. So even by that metric ...

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        ah, can you reference a post from me where I said the Russians hacked voting machines?
        Then how else did Hillary (the most qualified candidate ever) lose to Drumpf (the worst candidate ever)? She lost because the Russians spent a couple of hundred thousand on facebook ads? Not likely. Clinton had a lot more money to spend.

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        nice strawman.

But it's a lot harder these days to argue that the Russians didn't hack into emails and give them to wikileaks, or use fake facebook accounts to spread propaganda, or work with Trump to secure financing for Trump tower in Russia many months after Trump continued to deny he was trying to do any business in Russia while trying to secure the money from a sanctioned Russian bank, or that his transition team had numerous secret meetings with Russian officials and then tried to lie about it, or meet to set up a secret back channel to the Kremlin in the Russian embassy....Remember, Flynn was caught lying about not having talked with the Russians about sanctions because the CIA had that conversation on tape.

None of that stuff is under dispute anymore. Maybe it truly means less than it might seem on the surface, but I don't know how you could reasonably argue it doesn't look kind of suspicious.
        Russians hacked the "password" to the dems' email and gave it all to Wikileaks? Post the link please. This would be an interesting read.

The blonde freak at wikileaks says that is not the case and apparently has "physical proof", whatever that means.

Building a Trump tower in Russia is a crime? Has Drumpf built the said tower?

What is interesting about Flynn is his knowledge about other things before he joined the drumpf team for a short period of time. In fact, Obama had a little falling out with Flynn when he criticized his then boss trying to justify to the American people that the Muslim Brotherhood was not evil. That cause a bit of falling out between the two. Keep in mind there is a wider FBI probe going on into The Clinton Foundation, Uranium One and global money laundering operations which Flynn knows something about given his positions as Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency and United States National Security Advisor under the Obama admin. Obama told Drumpf not to hire Flynn... I wonder why. Actually if you plug "The Clinton Foundation" into Mueller memo (about how Flynn was super helpful and shouldn't serve any time in jail) it fits quite nicely in the redacted area... "Trump Collusion with Russia" doesn't fit so well.

320tcxgs2h221.jpg
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I never said anything about voting machines. And Trump did lie about not doing business in Russia. Why did he feel like he needed to lie about it repeatedly and in such an emphatic way -- for months during the campaign at the debates, TV interviews, rallies, etc. I'm not saying all the lines have been connected yet as far as actual wrongdoing, at least not yet as far as the public knows, but it's suspicious.

Or is this going to be another one of those Trump tries to change reality deals where his cult following now believes him if he says he never said he didn't have business going in Russia.
          Last edited by BlueK; 12-06-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            I never said anything about voting machines. And Trump did lie about not doing business in Russia. Why did he feel like he needed to lie about it repeatedly and in such an emphatic way -- for months during the campaign at the debates, TV interviews, rallies, etc. I'm not saying all the lines have been connected yet as far as actual wrongdoing, at least not yet as far as the public knows, but it's suspicious.

Or is this going to be another one of those Trump tries to change reality deals where his cult following now believes him if he says he never said he didn't have business going in Russia.
            Ok, let's assume for one moment that Drumpf did some business with the Russians (e.g., explored the possibility of building a Trump Tower in Russia). Actually, I don't doubt that but if doing business with Russians is a crime then lock me up. Just how did the Russians throw the election for Drumpf? Did they give the debate questions to Drumpf in advance? (No, that was the DNC and to Clinton, not the Russians.). Even if they got the debate questions to Drumpf in advance that isn't enough to throw the election, IMHO.

The lines seem to connect better if you look at how the Clinton campaign paid (indirectly) an unregistered foreign agent to dig up a bunch of unproven dirt on Drumpf, put in it a dossier, use that dossier to get a FISA warrant, and "wire tap" the Trump campaign... all under the Obama watch (who apparently was looking the other way). Now that looks like real collision with an unregistered agent (who colluded with the Russians) to throw an election. Maybe that dossier, that was conveniently leaked to the press, maybe changed the minds of a few voters but that was still not enough. Clinton was named the most qualified candidate and the smart person to run for the office of president. Yet she still lost to the worst candidate in history. Maybe folks are tired of the BS going on in DC these days and would vote for any outsider even if his is the worst.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Does anybody believe 2020 won't be anything other than one royal clusterf*ck.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Does anybody believe 2020 won't be anything other than one royal clusterf*ck.
                Can it actually get worse than 2016?
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Can it actually get worse than 2016?
                  unfortunately, i think it can. trump will be pushing 75 and even dumber and more senile than ever before.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    unfortunately, i think it can. trump will be pushing 75 and even dumber and more senile than ever before.
                    And, I guess, not only Hillary but also Michelle Obama and Rosalynn Carter could run for the Dem ticket.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Spot on. "Shop-worn Evita"

Camille Paglia: The author and academic discusses 2020, Trump and Jordan Peterson
                      You’ve been a sharp political prognosticator over the years. So can I start by asking for a prediction. What will happen in 2020 in America? Will Hillary Clinton run again?

If the economy continues strong, Trump will be reelected. The Democrats (my party) have been in chaos since the 2016 election and have no coherent message except Trump hatred. Despite the vast pack of potential candidates, no one yet seems to have the edge. I had high hopes for Kamala Harris, but she missed a huge opportunity to play a moderating, statesmanlike role and has already imprinted an image of herself as a ruthless inquisitor that will make it hard for her to pull voters across party lines.

Screechy Elizabeth Warren has never had a snowball’s chance in hell to appeal beyond upper-middle-class professionals of her glossy stripe. Kirsten Gillibrand is a wobbly mediocrity. Cory Booker has all the gravitas of a cork. Andrew Cuomo is a yapping puppy with a long, muddy bullyboy tail. Both Bernie Sanders (for whom I voted in the 2016 primaries) and Joe Biden (who would have won the election had Obama not cut him off at the knees) are way too old and creaky.

To win in the nation’s broad midsection, the Democratic nominee will need to project steadiness, substance, and warmth. I’ve been looking at Congresswoman Cheri Bustos of Illinois and Governor Steve Bullock of Montana.

As for Hillary, she’s pretty much damaged goods, but her perpetual, sniping, pity-me tour shows no signs of abating. She still has a rabidly loyal following, but it’s hard to imagine her winning the nomination again, with her iron grip on the Democratic National Committee now gone. Still, it’s in her best interest to keep the speculation fires burning. Given how thoroughly she has already sabotaged the rising candidates by hogging the media spotlight, I suspect she wants Trump to win again. I don’t see our stumbling, hacking, shop-worn Evita yielding the spotlight willingly to any younger gal.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Peterson's interview of Paglia is one of my favorite longform discussions. I think I've watched it 3 times now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hIVnmUdXM

Comment

• Skateboard Jesus!

Here are the top 10 finishers in the MoveOn [2020 presidential] straw poll:

Someone else/DK/other: 28.8 percent

Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent

Joe Biden: 14.9 percent

Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent

Kamala Harris: 10 percent

Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent

Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent

Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent

Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent

Cory Booker: 2.6 percent
                          https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...w-poll-n946501

Beto deserves to be on the dems ticket for losing to Ted Cruz!
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Let AOC run!

It’s ridiculous that it’s unconstitutional for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for president

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the biggest star in the Democratic Party, and she has been ever since she unseated Rep. Joe Crowley in a surprise primary upset in May. That her win didn’t, in the final analysis, launch a wave of leftist primary victories only goes to show what a phenomenon she personally is.

Not everyone shares her brand of politics, of course, but her constituency has exploded beyond the initial set of ideologues who powered the challenge to Crowley because of her incredible wit, charisma, social media savvy, and basic political smarts.
                            [...]
                            https://www.vox.com/2018/12/12/18134...-aoc-president
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              because of her incredible wit, charisma, social media savvy, and basic political smarts.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                AOC is the only person that makes Trump look like a better candidate.

Comment

Working...
                                X