The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would vote for Biden over Trump.

The WaPo columnist updated his rankings of the top 15 dem candidates for 2020:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...didates-ranked

15. Rep. John Delaney (Md.)
    14. Michael Avenatti
    13. Former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick
    12. Hillary Clinton
    11. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.)
    10. Former Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe
    9. Former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg
    8. Rep. Beto O’Rourke (Tex.)
    7. Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio)
    6. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (N.Y.)
    5. Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.)
    4. Former vice president Joe Biden
    3. Sen. Kamala D. Harris (Calif.)
    2. Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.)
    1. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.)
    Aside from Biden, if that's the list of top 15 candidates, then, sadly, Trump has got to like his chances. Michael Avenatti is a top 15 candidate? Seriously??

Comment

• I expect my Congressman, Eric Swalwell, to make the Top 15 eventually. He's been getting lots of airtime as a member of the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees, and will almost certainly get a lot more after the Dems take over in two months. And he's made several trips to Iowa recently, although the fact that he's from Iowa originally may be a reason. But he'll turn 38 this week and given his callow youth he won't be taken very seriously. Still, I expect him to run to get better name recognition with a view toward 2024. I don't love the guy but he's not as obnoxious as some of his Bay Area colleagues.

Comment

• I would also vote for Klobuchar and Bloomberg, maybe Delaney.

I struggle with Sherrod Brown. His progressive rating is worse than Bernie's. Gillibrand's progressive rating is worse than Sherrod Brown's and it only goes downhill from there with Elizabeth Warren, Corey Booker, and Kamala Harris.

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          I would vote for Biden over Trump.

Aside from Biden, if that's the list of top 15 candidates, then, sadly, Trump has got to like his chances. Michael Avenatti is a top 15 candidate? Seriously??
          what a depressing list.

In 1999, I was living in Chicago. My father took me to a small event where a couple of local politicians were speaking. The headliner was Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White (a position he still holds), but my father told me to keep my eye on a young state senator who would also be speaking. After hearing him speak and watching him work the room, I completely agreed with my father. This was a man who could motivate and excite people (and I don't say that just because he told me how beautiful my young daughter was). Regardless of how much I agreed or disagreed with his positions, I could tell he would generate excitement. I wonder if there are any Democrats, or Republicans, for that matter, like that out there who will give me a reason to look forward to voting in 2020.

Comment

I like this list stuff:

1. Warren - NO.
            2. Bernie - Too old
            3. Kamala - She's pretty green as a politician, but for the most part she has been pretty level-headed, methinks.
            4. Biden - I know that everyone on here loves the guy (as much as most of you can love a Dem), but he seems dumb as rocks. Plus, old.
            5. Booker - I like him. Sure he had the grandstanding incident during the Kavenaugh hearing, but apparently grandstanding is a plus for presidents now.
            6. Gillibrand - Don't know anything about her.
            7. Brown - I don't know about anyone from Ohio.
            8. Beto - I like him well enough, but it seems like everyone loves him because he couldn't beat Ted Cruz.
            9. Bloomberg - No.
            10. McAullife - Meh. He seems like a guy that is always someone's third choice.
            11. Klobaucher - Who?
            12. Hillary - No. I voted for her and think she would have been vastly better than our current executive (can anyone really doubt this?) but her time has passed.
            13. Partick - A good guy that was a decent governor. I think he would make a great president, but I doubt he will get anywhere close.
            14. Avenatti - This must be a practical joke by the Washington Post.
            15. Delaney - Who? And I live near Maryland.
            Last edited by Applejack; 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM. Reason: To avoid Donuthole's rage

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              I wonder if there are any Democrats, or Republicans, for that matter, like that out there who will give me a reason to look forward to voting in 2020.
              We've swung from rockstar/swooning to demagoguery in the national election. It might be time for American politics to get boring again.

I would vote for Biden over most of that list. But he is getting old. And please Hillary, retire. Don't make me vote for you again!
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

I would expect Gavin Newsom - former SF mayor and California Lt. Governor, Governor-elect of California, and overall gadfly - over Avenatti or Rep. Delaney any day.

Comment

• I might be a broken record on this but....Give me an experience Governor. Sure Governors are hit and miss, but I think a proven Governor (preferably one without a well known family name) is a much better bet than an inexperienced Senator or someone who has never held elected office.
                  Last edited by beefytee; 11-13-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                    I like this list stuff:

1. Warren - NO.
                    2. Bernie - Too old
                    3. Kamala - She's pretty green as a politician, but for the most part she has been pretty level-headed, methinks.
                    4. Biden - I know that everyone on here loves the guy (as much as most of you can love a Dem), but he seems dumb as rocks. Plus, old.
                    5. Booker - I like him. Sure he had the grandstanding incident during the Kavenaugh hearing, but apparently grandstanding is a plus for presidents now.
                    8. Beto - I like him well enough, but it seems like everyone loves him because he couldn't beat Ted Cruz.
                    9. Bloomberg - No.
                    11. Klobaucher - Who?
                    12. Hillary - No. I voted for her and think she would have been vastly better than our current executive (can anyone really doubt this?) but her time has past.
                    13. Partick - A good guy that was a decent governor. I think he would make a great president, but I doubt he will get anywhere close.
                    I would vote for Skateboard Jesus... just because he is from Texas.

What about Sinema? The rising star from the Grand Canyon state. BYU grad. What is there not to like?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      what a depressing list.
                      It is a depressing list.

Biden is too old. He would be 78 years old before he is sworn in for his term. That is too freaking old and, as Applejack noted, he is not that smart. He is personable, and fairly moderate in the way people who always want to stay on top are moderate, but he does dumb things a lot (nothing like Trump, but I really hope we dont compare anyone to Trump, because everyone is better in terms of decorum).
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                        I would expect Gavin Newsom - former SF mayor and California Lt. Governor, Governor-elect of California, and overall gadfly - over Avenatti or Rep. Delaney any day.
                        Newsom is a scumbag. But at least he has been in the executive branch of government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          I like this list stuff:

1. Warren - NO.
                          2. Bernie - Too old
                          9. Bloomberg - No.
                          11. Klobaucher - Who?
                          12. Hillary - No. I voted for her and think she would have been vastly better than our current executive (can anyone really doubt this?) but her time has past.
                          What about Hickenlooper? I could see myself voting for him if the alternative was Trump.

And I could see myself voting for Trump if the alternative is Hillary 4.0.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• The real question is which mormon y'all are going to vote for this time. Maybe Huntsman will run? Maybe that Evan guy will give it another go? Mia Love? The list is endless!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Newsom is a scumbag. But at least he has been in the executive branch of government.
                              I didn't say he wasn't. But if the Democratic Party is scraping the barrel, he's prominent enough and politically successful enough to have earned a spot on a top 15 list.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                                I didn't say he wasn't. But if the Democratic Party is scraping the barrel, he's prominent enough and politically successful enough to have earned a spot on a top 15 list.
                                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X