The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Blasio: I’ll pay female athletes equally if elected president

Mayor Bill de Blasio on Wednesday said that, if elected president, he would sign an executive order to guarantee equal pay for women and men athletes — despite glaring discrepancies in pay in his administration.
    [...]
    https://nypost.com/2019/07/10/de-bla...ted-president/

Yeah, make them pay those WNBA'ers the same!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Pay up, you crackers...

Taxing whitey moves mainstream

Once upon a time, the idea of taxing white people for their skin color was the stuff and nonsense of satire — or, at the very least, of the rantings of the radical left, mostly minorities, seeking payback for America’s dark days of slavery and racism. Even then, it was dismissed.
      [...]
      “[Beto] O’Rourke suggests using tax code to transfer wealth from rich whites to African-Americans,” Fox News reported in May. The Washington Examiner reported it similarly that same month: “Beto O’Rourke: Tax wealthy whites to transfer money to disadvantaged blacks.”
      [...]
      https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...es-mainstream/
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        The economy was pretty good. But there is an unmistakable increase in the stock market since Trump won. There are other factors, but Trump has at least improved economic metrics and people won’t want to derail that.
        I have mixed feelings about Trump and the economy. Putting aside the fact that Presidents are usually given too much credit for a good economy, and too much blame for a bad one, I'm glad Trump thus far hasn't screwed things up more than he has. I enjoy opening up my Schwab home page and seeing that a reasonably comfortable retirement lies ahead. But at what cost? Despite Trump's assurances he'd balance the budget and reduce the deficit, he's been running annual deficits of >$1Trillion while cutting taxes (for some, anyway). And who knows how much some of his plans (Space Force!) are going to add to that?

I'm bothered that at least some of the current boom is done at the expense of future generations. But Trump doesn't care about life after Trump, and thus his self-serving myopia spells major trouble for those who follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I have mixed feelings about Trump and the economy. Putting aside the fact that Presidents are usually given too much credit for a good economy, and too much blame for a bad one, I'm glad Trump thus far hasn't screwed things up more than he has. I enjoy opening up my Schwab home page and seeing that a reasonably comfortable retirement lies ahead. But at what cost? Despite Trump's assurances he'd balance the budget and reduce the deficit, he's been running annual deficits of >$1Trillion while cutting taxes (for some, anyway). And who knows how much some of his plans (Space Force!) are going to add to that?

I'm bothered that at least some of the current boom is done at the expense of future generations. But Trump doesn't care about life after Trump, and thus his self-serving myopia spells major trouble for those who follow.
          As you know, off and on we’ve been living with concern about the deficit forever. Ironically, up to now it’s always been the right that has been concerned. Except, that is, when Reagan was president. And when I was in college, my Marxist Econ professors at the U taught me that deficits don’t matter because you can manage them with fiscal policy. So after decades of this my blood pressure doesn’t rise reading your platitudes about making the future pay for present prosperity. Things keep getting better since the eighteenth century, and I expect that will be true going forward. I don’t lament the future generations. They’re more fortunate than any before them. I’m a Steven Pinker fan.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Biden has the dirt on the other 2020 Dems...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-peoples-pasts

Come on Joe... just have one of your staff leak the dirt then you don't have to go there and we get what we want. Release the dirt!

Sounds like a not very veiled threat to me.

Comment

• The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Eh. There are other intervening factors that could derail that. The economy was pretty good in 2016, too.
              Obama would have crushed Trump.

Clinton’s problem was that she was no Obama. And enough people knew it.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                As you know, off and on we’ve been living with concern about the deficit forever. Ironically, up to now it’s always been the right that has been concerned. Except, that is, when Reagan was president. And when I was in college, my Marxist Econ professors at the U taught me that deficits don’t matter because you can manage them with fiscal policy. So after decades of this my blood pressure doesn’t rise reading your platitudes about making the future pay for present prosperity. Things keep getting better since the eighteenth century, and I expect that will be true going forward. I don’t lament the future generations. They’re more fortunate than any before them. I’m a Steven Pinker fan.
                Enlightenment Now! . I like Pinker a lot, too. But I am concerned that you're apparently in the thrall of your Marxist econ profs when it comes to deficits. I assume you're not saying that deficits of any size are no problem, but rather that you assume we'll always figure out a way to deal with them. But doesn't that mean being vigilant in keeping Washington spenders in check? Do you think we're currently doing just fine in that endeavor? Sorry for the platitudes.

Comment

• Greece: hold my beer.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    Obama would have crushed Trump.

Clinton’s problem was that she was no Obama. And enough people knew it.
                    Not only was she no Obama, she was Hillary Clinton. That's a losing combo.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Enlightenment Now! . I like Pinker a lot, too. But I am concerned that you're apparently in the thrall of your Marxist econ profs when it comes to deficits. I assume you're not saying that deficits of any size are no problem, but rather that you assume we'll always figure out a way to deal with them. But doesn't that mean being vigilant in keeping Washington spenders in check? Do you think we're currently doing just fine in that endeavor? Sorry for the platitudes.
                      I think we have a meeting of the minds. Agree my Marxist econ profs were teaching priestcraft. But we'll get out of the debt like we'll get out of climate change and how we got here--hard work, innovation and markets! We may also have to raise taxes.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I think we have a meeting of the minds. Agree my Marxist econ profs were teaching priestcraft. But we'll get out of the debt like we'll get out of climate change and how we got here--hard work, innovation and markets! We may also have to raise taxes.
                        D'accord!

Comment

I'm not as confident as you. Its not just the existing deficits but the coming tsunami from our unfunded liabilities. Instead of making massive structural changes to address this we are taking about Medicare for all, free college for all, and student debt loan forgiveness. We can't grow our way out of our structural budget problems. If the structure is not changed, we will need massive tax increases or severe austerity (or both). And then your risk killing the golden goose of steady growth since ww2 that has allowed us to manage our ballooning debt until now (being the world's reserve currency hasn't hurt either, which isn't an eternal guarantee).

I like to think I'm an optimist and the market will always find a way but I think our position is more precarious than many believe.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            (being the world's reserve currency hasn't hurt either, which isn't an eternal guarantee).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Which Trump's isolationist, anti-trade, give the middle finger to the rest of the world philosophy is not helping with this either.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Which Trump's isolationist, anti-trade, give the middle finger to the rest of the world philosophy is not helping with this either.
                              There are many other far more important and compelling factors contributing to some countries questioning the long time international consensus of the dollar as the basis of all currency. But by all means live until your dying breath believing Donald Trump being as asshole is a primary compelling factor.

Let Donald Trump be what he is but don't let him make you dumb.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Dems starting to eat their own. I guess the identity politics playbook is turning out to be a mistake.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X