Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yeah but you would have to live in can ‘o duh. Hard pass.
    My brother went on a mission in Canada. Back then, they would riff on the national anthem by singing "Oh Canaduh. We emphasize the duh!"

I chuckled the first couple of times I heard it. But to be completely open, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I move back up there. I'll take Trudeau's bromides and good looks any day over Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    My brother went on a mission in Canada. Back then, they would riff on the national anthem by singing "Oh Canaduh. We emphasize the duh!"

I chuckled the first couple of times I heard it. But to be completely open, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I move back up there. I'll take Trudeau's bromides and good looks any day over Trump.
    Prime Minister Zoolander? No thanks.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Your wife is Canadian, right? There's the 50%.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Living in Montreal during the summer is magical, high taxes notwithstanding. Living in Montreal during the winter almost makes the summer not worth it. Almost.
    I didn’t mind the winters. Tracting in Sorels was more comfy than tracting in a suit in the summer. Plus, hockey on P days
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I didn’t mind the winters. Tracting in Sorels was more comfy than tracting in a suit in the summer. Plus, hockey on P days
    You're freaking crazy. Loved my mission, hated the winters. Almost every night, as I trudged back to our apartment after having people refuse to open their sealed-closed-for-the-winter-front doors all evening long in subzero temperatures outside of Québec city, i used to wonder who was the first guy who brought his family here and didn't leave after the first winter? Rule of thumb: never choose to live where people need to wrap their car radiators in cardboard and blankets to stop them from freezing WHILE THE CAR IS BEING USED.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Your wife is Canadian, right? There's the 50%.
    Yep. Maybe I should bump that up to 60/40. Have you ever spent time on Vancouver Island?

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    The worst Canadian winter I ever experienced was my first, in Calgary. It was minus 35 Celsius. Brutal. Montreal never got that bad. But every once in a while the winds made winter pretty miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    You're freaking crazy. Loved my mission, hated the winters. Almost every night, as I trudged back to our apartment after having people refuse to open their sealed-closed-for-the-winter-front doors all evening long in subzero temperatures outside of Québec city, i used to wonder who was the first guy who brought his family here and didn't leave after the first winter? Rule of thumb: never choose to live where people need to wrap their car radiators in cardboard and blankets to stop them from freezing WHILE THE CAR IS BEING USED.
    Simple answer: Canadians.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Ooh, Quebec City in winter was cold. MP said we could stay in if the windchill got below -40.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Cory Booker is officially in!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Is that the 61st or 62nd Dem to declare? I'm losing track.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Spartacus!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Spartacus!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Growing up in Western Canada, Quebec was every boy's last place they wanted to be called on a mission.

I'm guessing that winters are much worse for missionaries than most people as they spend much more time outside and travelling around neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Uncle Ted Video
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This is very well don

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

This is very well don

Yep. That is a winning message. It's the approach the democrats have to take if they want to win.

It's interesting that he mentions home ownership in this video. Black home ownership has barely increased since 1960 prior to the civil rights movement.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/07/63249...rship-persists

https://www.shmoop.com/civil-rights-...tatistics.html

This is very well don

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Yep. That is a winning message. It's the approach the democrats have to take if they want to win.

It's interesting that he mentions home ownership in this video. Black home ownership has barely increased since 1960 prior to the civil rights movement.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/07/63249...rship-persists

https://www.shmoop.com/civil-rights-...tatistics.html
    Booker might not be "progressive" enough for some of the party, but I think he could be a lot more unifying and better at getting out the vote through the entire party than one of the far lefties would be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Booker might not be "progressive" enough for some of the party, but I think he could be a lot more unifying and better at getting out the vote through the entire party than one of the far lefties would be.
    The more progressive wing does not like Booker.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    The more progressive wing does not like Booker.
    I know, but they would take him over Trump. And I think Booker would excite all demographic groups, including those who did show up to vote for Obama but didn't show up to vote last time, a lot more than say someone like Warren or Sanders would.

Yeah that was a smart ad.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I actually think that ad panders too much on the race and social inequality issues. These are not the primary hangups for the swing voters the Dems need to sway, IMO.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I actually think that ad panders too much on the race and social inequality issues. These are not the primary hangups for the swing voters the Dems need to sway, IMO.
    It works well for the first step of getting the nomination. One major reason Clinton lost is that she didn't get the same turnout that elected Obama twice. For the general he can edit it down to make it more general about unifying the country.

Not to mention, he made his announcement on the first day of black history month... nice timing!
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    It works well for the first step of getting the nomination. One major reason Clinton lost is that she didn't get the same turnout that elected Obama twice. For the general he can edit it down to make it more general about unifying the country.
    Clinton actually got more voter turn out than Obama in 2016 than he did in 2012... It was just not voters for her.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This is very well don

Yes. It's the positive side/spin of identify politics. Same as MLK. Invoke American as the single most important tribal identity.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Yes. It's the positive side/spin of identify politics. Same as MLK. Invoke American as the single most important tribal identity.

It was much easier to sell the American tribal identity when we had the big bad commie Soviets to fight as the common enemy. There isn't that big threatening outside villain to unify us that there used to be. So it is much easier to vilify your pollical rival now.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    It's interesting you said that. As I was listening, the thought occurred to me "Is this Booker's 'I have a dream' speech?"

There is some racial stuff there - but he also talks about jobs in every neighborhood - and I think was smart to include an image of a tractor in a field.

But we'll see how he does.

He's not going to make it out of the primary by running as a convservative. This ad's tone was positive.

Just in time for black history month... articles about how Joe Biden (R) was an advocate for continued school segregation:

Joe Biden embraced segregation in 1975, claiming it was a matter of 'black pride'

Joe Biden, weighing a 2020 White House bid, once advocated continued school segregation in the United States, arguing that it benefited minorities and that integration would prevent black people from embracing “their own identity.”

Biden was speaking in 1975, when he opposed the federally mandated busing policy designed to end segregation in schools. In the past few decades, he has claimed he wanted desegregation but believed the policy of busing would not achieve it. Last year, he stated he had voted heroically to protect busing.
    [...]
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...f-black-pride?

In a crowded and diverse field of Democratic contenders, Joe Biden would have to run against his anti-integration past

• Former Vice President Joe Biden's record on racial justice is being re-examined as he considers running for president in 2020.
    • Biden's mid-1970s crusade against busing as part of efforts to integrate America's schools has resurfaced.
    • In a 1975 NPR interview, Biden contended busing was a "rejection of the whole movement of black pride.

[...]
    https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-...ial-bid-2019-2
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!