Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Pocahontas has potential... Someone get her a beer.
    summon_mf.jpg
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Watched some Maddow as filtered through Jimmy Dore.

I'm on the Elizabeth Warren train. Choo choo... let's do this thing!
    I specifically said not Maddow. I do watch her show sometimes, but you have to get used to it and I definitely wouldn't have wasted my time on a whole show with Elizabeth Warren on. Chris Hayes is good though. Ari Melber at 6ET is also good but a little early perhaps for those who live in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I specifically said not Maddow. I do watch her show sometimes, but you have to get used to it and I definitely wouldn't have wasted my time on a whole show with Elizabeth Warren on. Chris Hayes is good though. Ari Melber at 6ET is also good but a little early perhaps for those who live in the west.
    He said "filtered through Jimmy Dore." Dear lord.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 01-09-2019 at 08:53 PM.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Princeps Inter Pares

Avenatti? Didn't know they let you tweet from lockup.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Beto live streams his trip to the dentist...

O'Rourke talks border during Instagram video at dentist

beto-orourke-dental-cleaning-640x480.jpg

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) recorded his trip to the dentist on Thursday to showcase his hygienist's experiences growing up near the southern border.

"So I'm here at the dentist and we’re going to continue our series on the people of the border," O'Rourke says in a video posted on Instagram as he receives a dental cleaning.
    [...]
    https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...deo-at-dentist
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Beto live streams his trip to the dentist...

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...deo-at-dentist

I can’t wait for Kamala Harris to live stream herself watching Netflix.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Kirsten Gillibrand keeps using this phrase “As a young Mom...”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9e5b33e89e6d

I mean she is 52 years old — I know she is from New York where maybe the regular age Moms are in their 60s. But just seems very out of touch and off-putting to call herself “a young Mom.” Democrats live in a fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Kirsten Gillibrand keeps using this phrase “As a young Mom...”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9e5b33e89e6d

I mean she is 52 years old — I know she is from New York where maybe the regular age Moms are in their 60s. But just seems very out of touch and off-putting to call herself “a young Mom.” Democrats live in a fantasy world.
    Taking a page out of Trump's playbook. Change the definition of something (fake news) and parrot the new definition enough times, and people will forget or stop caring that you changed the definition.

Dem's are starting to eat their own...

Beto's excellent adventure drips with white male privilege
    [...]
    But O'Rourke, tall, handsome, white and male, has this latitude, to be and do anything. His privilege even allows him to turn a loss to the most despised candidate of the cycle into a launching pad for a White House run.

Stacey Abrams, a Yale-trained lawyer, couldn't do this.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/polit...020/index.html

"Skateboard Jesus" has the white penis disease... poor guy.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This is a pretty cool feature on 538. A few things I thought were interesting:
    -Nixon was pretty popular for most of his presidency
    -Americans get sick of our presidents over time, with the exception of Clinton
    -The shift in approval ratings for George HW Bush are pretty stunning
    -The relatively flat rating over Obama's presidency seems like a reflection of the polarization in American politics

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    -The relatively flat rating over Obama's presidency seems like a reflection of the polarization in American politics

That is cool. Crazy how closely correlated Gerald Ford's approval ratings are.

Considering how close the race was between Nixon and Kennedy, I'm somewhat surprised at how consistently high the approval ratings were for Kennedy. I would have expected Ike's approval ratings to easily eclipse those of JFK.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post

Wow. Fascinating.

You can see right where Harry Truman starting battling MacArthur.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Curious what others think of this policy proposal by Pocahontas.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/eliz...c-advisor.html

I'm a conservative but I think wealth concentration is a growing problem. Inheritance taxes have been the historical way solve it but that seems too slow. I would prefer that such a tax go to cover current deficits rather than to fund new entitlements or "green policies."

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post

I'm a conservative but I think wealth concentration is a growing problem. Inheritance taxes have been the historical way solve it but that seems too slow. I would prefer that such a tax go to cover current deficits rather than to fund new entitlements or "green policies."
    The article you linked concedes that a wealth tax is unconstitutional and would require a constitutional amendment. It's obviously possible to amend the constitution but it would still be a pretty long process for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post

I'd rather dump the income tax and tax on consumption instead. The wealthy who consume more would pay their fair share that way more than they currently do with the income tax and its loopholes. To keep this from being regressive I would make sure it also replaces the social security tax. For SS benefits purposes they can still keep track of what someone earns and base it on that and then cap it at a certain maximum amount.

I'd rather dump the income tax and tax on consumption instead. The wealthy who consume more would pay their fair share that way more than they currently do with the income tax and its loopholes. To keep this from being regressive I would make sure it also replaces the social security tax. For SS benefits purposes they can still keep track of what someone earns and base it on that and then cap it at a certain maximum amount.
    Implemented correctly, I would prefer a VAT over the current income tax system for sure. But neither system solves the wealth concentration issue that would be the target of a Wealth Tax.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

He would get my vote over Trump or the hard left wing person likely to come out of the democratic primary.

Schultz, the former Starbucks CEO, says in a 60 Minutes interview already recorded but airing on Sunday that he is thinking very seriously about a presidential run—but he stops short of a full announcement.
    He makes clear, however, that if he moves forward, he will do so as an independent.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-trump/581374/
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    He would get my vote over Trump or the hard left wing person likely to come out of the democratic primary.

This isn’t a good thing as it could help Trump get re-elected.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    This isn’t a good thing as it could help Trump get re-elected.
    While I'm sick of presidents having less and less public executive experience, depending on who the Democratic nominees is, Trump getting reelected isn't necessarily the worst possible outcome. A bad one no doubt. But not necessarily the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    While I'm sick of presidents having less and less public executive experience, depending on who the Democratic nominees is, Trump getting reelected isn't necessarily the worst possible outcome. A bad one no doubt. But not necessarily the worst.
    I’m liberal but even if I wasn’t the most important thing is Trump losing. If this guy could beat him I’d vote for him in a heartbeat. I don’t see the Democrats nominating someone who is more morally compromised, inept and in bed with an adversarial country.

I’m liberal but even if I wasn’t the most important thing is Trump losing. If this guy could beat him I’d vote for him in a heartbeat. I don’t see the Democrats nominating someone who is more morally compromised, inept and in bed with an adversarial country.
    Yeah, there are better options... it looks like Hillary and Bernie are running again:

Bernie Sanders set to announce 2020 presidential run

Three years after fighting a surprisingly competitive Democratic primary race against Hillary Clinton, Sen. Bernie Sanders, the Vermont independent, is making another run for the White House.
    [...]
    https://news.yahoo.com/bernie-sander...234647684.html

Hillary Clinton tells friends she's leaving 2020 door open

Still with her?
    Hillary Clinton may not be ready to give up on her Oval Office dreams, CNN's Jeff Zeleny reports.
    "Clinton is telling people that she's not closing the doors to the idea of running in 2020," Zeleny said. "I'm told by three people that as recently as this week, she was telling people that look, given all this news from the indictments, particularly the Roger Stone indictment, she talked to several people, saying 'look, I'm not closing the doors to this.'"
    [...]
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/polit...ntv/index.html

Just think if these two got together as running mates. It would be the democrat dream team!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

Howard Schultz can go fuck himself.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Kamala Harris is the front-runner for the Dems!

I’m sure her affair with Willie Brown won’t be a political problem at all.

Trump is definitely going to win.

:vomit:

If that’s the most scandalous you can say about her, she sounds pretty good.

You’re a fool if you think Trump is a shoe-in against either her or anyone else the democrats put out there.

I don't know which poll you're referring to, but looking at the early primary states usually is more productive at this point. It doesn't matter what the whole of the country thinks if the candidate gets their legs kicked out from under them in IA and NH. Years ago Rudy Giuliani ran one of the dumbest campaigns in history because he thought he'd ride his name recognition and national polls to the nomination while refusing to take IA and NH seriously until it was too late and he was done.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tion-6730.html
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Well, if the new rules changes the dems made force Bernie to run as an independent then, yeah, Drumpf has a good chance. That is why I am thinking that Bernie and Hillary should just run as a team.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If that’s the most scandalous you can say about her, she sounds pretty good.

You’re a fool if you think Trump is a shoe-in against either her or anyone else the democrats put out there.
    Didnt she basically launch her political career based on appointments that Brown gave her while they were schtooping? That's pretty weird.

No one thinks trump is a shoe-in. But the fact the slate of dem frontrunners provide trump any opening at all to get re-elected is telling. Any non-crazy person should demolish trump head to head, but the dems are countering trump's garbage with far left garbage.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk