Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

This election is going to be lit, or maybe woke is a better word.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, I think that's a big swing and a miss.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

My favorite candidate in each election is the tone deaf one. Warren is perfect for this role.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Her Republican or Democrat line is weird. I've seen this quite a bit this weekend from Dems. And of course there was CNN whose ticker showed Northam was (R). I even saw another report that talked about how the GOP recruited Northam when he first entered politics which was true, but curious to include I thought. It almost seems purposeful....

I still can't believe Northam hasn't resigned. BTW, a PAC for Northam ran one of the worst ads I've ever seen against his opponent Gillespie. Can I get an irony ruling on this?

Update: Not irony since I guess Gillespie could want to mow down minority children independent of Northam wearing blackface and being called coonman.
    Last edited by Surfah; 02-03-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Her Republican or Democrat line is weird. I've seen this quite a bit this weekend from Dems. And of course there was CNN whose ticker showed Northam was (R). I even saw another report that talked about how the GOP recruited Northam when he first entered politics which was true, but curious to include I thought. It almost seems purposeful....

I still can't believe Northam hasn't resigned. BTW, a PAC for Northam ran one of the worst ads I've ever seen against his opponent Gillespie. Can I get an irony ruling on this?

Update: Not irony since I guess Gillespie could want to mow down minority children independent of Northam wearing blackface and being called coonman.
    That line doesn’t bother me. I took it to mean Democrat’s shouldn’t give the guy cover because he’s one of them. Maybe it was a dig at the GOP for Steve King but I don’t think so, or care that much.

Too many people look for the letter before a politician’s name before deciding if they should be outraged or not.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    That line doesn’t bother me. I took it to mean Democrat’s shouldn’t give the guy cover because he’s one of them. Maybe it was a dig at the GOP for Steve King but I don’t think so, or care that much.

Too many people look for the letter before a politician’s name before deciding if they should be outraged or not.
    The thing about that race was that Gillespie who always was an establishment and moderate by today's standards Republican decided part way through to go full Steve Bannon in that race by choosing to run a ton of very provocative anti-immigrant type ads. It backfired and he lost, after which both Trump and Bannon ridiculously blamed it on Gillespie being "too late" to embrace their message.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.

I haven't followed this too closely.

I'm trying to understand the outrage. Is this only about an incident that happened about 35 years ago when the guy was still a student? Does Northam have a history outside of this that would make him suspect?

That's exactly what it meant-- not sure how that was in any way unclear to anybody.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post

I'm trying to understand the outrage. Is this only about an incident that happened about 35 years ago when the guy was still a student? Does Northam have a history outside of this that would make him suspect?
    I don't think he had a suspect history that anyone knew about.

The sticky political issue for him on this is that he ran hard against his GOP opponent's hardcore anti-immigrant platform, who despite not being that type of Republican in the past had been convinced to go with the full Trump/Steve Bannon approach and make it the main point of his campaign. Northam ran as a unifier. Now the unifying candidate ends up having to answer for this even though it was a long time ago and no one today seems to see him as a racist guy. In the world of social media outrage culture, it's probably harder for a democrat to get through this type of controversy because he made anti-racism part of his campaign.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-04-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post

If that was Northram in the picture, then it also appears he has a beer in his hand.

Why Does Ralph Northam Deserve No Mercy?

Perhaps just a few years ago, Northam’s apology and Saslaw’s defence would have been enough for the governor to be able to move on. We have all done things we’re not proud of in the past, and our most offensive and obnoxious moments do not encapsulate our lives. But given an American elite culture that is regressing to a secular version of old puritanical norms, whereby sinners are branded for life and there are political points to be scored for casting them into hellfire, it is not surprising that Northam was immediately deluged with calls to resign.

[...]

Northam may very well buckle under the weight of the liberal intelligentsia, who have decreed that certain forms of emotional offence make someone irredeemable while at the same time demanding mercy for those who have committed felonies. On the other hand, he has had a long and distinguished career in government which may save him. But this new puritanical movement also threatens people with less power and prestige—ordinary folk who fired off an ill-thought tweet or Facebook status update. We know many lives have been absolutely ruined needlessly, especially among those who don’t have access to political power or crisis communications public relations staff.

I’ve spent a decade working in liberal and left-leaning non-profits and news outlets. During that time, I’ve seen the culture of these organizations grow increasingly judgmental and increasingly interested in the personal destruction of those with whom they disagree. More and more, elite liberalism is embracing modes of thought that I once associated with the political Right: joy in punishment and us-versus-them thinking.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    If that was Northram in the picture, then it also appears he has a beer in his hand.

BEER!!! OMG, there must have been sexual assault associated with the governorship as well...

UPDATE: Stanford Fellow Hints At Possible [Virginia Lt. Gov] Justin Fairfax Sex Assault

A woman named Vanessa Tyson, who is a fellow at Stanford University, says that a man who allegedly sexually assaulted her at the 2004 Democratic National Convention is now an office-holder about to get a “very big promotion,” according to a screenshot provided by a tipster. A friend of Tyson’s named Adria Scharf, based in Richmond, Virginia, shared the “heartbreaking” message, which Tyson wrote as a private post.

Tyson is a fellow at California-based Stanford University and professor at California-based Scripps College, which means the alleged sexual assaulter must hold office on the East Coast. Tyson says her alleged attacker won statewide office in 2017.
    [...]
    https://bigleaguepolitics.com/stanfo...x-sex-assault/

Swish!
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Those are good points. But he did himself no favors by apologizing for it Friday, but then Saturday changing his story by saying he doesn't believe he was really in that picture, although he did put shoe polish on his face once for a dance contest. Seriously? Just go with the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't think he had a suspect history that anyone knew about.

The sticky political issue for him on this is that he ran hard against his GOP opponent's hardcore anti-immigrant platform, who despite not being that type of Republican in the past had been convinced to go with the full Trump/Steve Bannon approach and make it the main point of his campaign. Northam ran as a unifier. Now the unifying candidate ends up having to answer for this even though it was a long time ago and no one today seems to see him as a racist guy. In the world of social media outrage culture, it's probably harder for a democrat to get through this type of controversy because he made anti-racism part of his campaign.

Yes... "Some of the biggest champions for black people in America's past have been white politicians who were racists." https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/03/us/ra...sis/index.html

And look at Drumpf... lowest unemployment for blacks ever.

Maybe white racist politicians aren't so bad... or does that only apply to democrats?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I don't think you can twist it to the point of saying racism isn't that bad because a few good things in race relations at some point in history were done by politicians that could have had racist beliefs.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.

I don't think you can twist it to the point of saying racism isn't that bad because a few good things in race relations at some point in history were done by politicians that could have had racist beliefs.
    Maybe you should tell that to CNN... I am just quoting their article. Of course, maybe LBJ had other motives in being the "civil rights hero"...

"I'll have them n____rs voting Democratic for two hundred years." https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Maybe you should tell that to CNN... I am just quoting their article. Of course, maybe LBJ had other motives in being the "civil rights hero"...

"I'll have them n____rs voting Democratic for two hundred years." https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson
    "Maybe white racist politicians aren't so bad"

Sorry, can't agree with that, even if some in history did a few good things in their careers related to race. Good for that, but it doesn't make racism ok.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-04-2019 at 02:03 PM.

How do you feel about Trump's racism?

How do you feel about Trump's racism?
    I think that Gov Northam looks much better in black face than Drumpf....

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I think that Gov Northam looks much better in black face than Drumpf....

That looks more like shit face, which also seems more appropriate.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That looks more like shit face, which also seems more appropriate.
    LOL.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Howard Schultz seems like a reasonable guy... I would maybe vote for him.

Poll: Democrats have reason to fret Schultz

Democrats have broken into a panic over Howard Schultz's talk of an independent bid for president. A new poll suggests they have reason to be worried.

The POLITICO/Morning Consult poll shows anti-Trump and Democratic voters are more open to supporting third-party candidates than Republicans are — evidence supporting the prominent Democrats who spent the last week warning that a credible, well-funded independent candidate could improve President Donald Trump’s chances of reelection.

While only 26 percent of voters who approve of Trump's job performance as president said they were very or somewhat likely to consider a third-party candidate, a larger percentage of Trump disapprovers, 41 percent, said they would consider voting for an independent. By party, nearly a third of Democrats, 31 percent, say they would consider a third-party candidate, compared with 25 percent of Republicans who indicated they would consider voting for someone other than the two major-party nominees.
    [...]
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ocrats-1144286

Remember when Ross Perot got like 20% of the vote in 1992?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Howard Schultz seems like a reasonable guy... I would maybe vote for him.
    bump
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

As much as I'd love to mock you for this because politically you're a lunatic and personally you're a dick, I tend to agree with this line of thinking. His brief ownership of the Sonics shows that he can't be trusted. His time as the Sonics owner showed that he has no ability for soft politics (local political relationships, coalition building, fan appreciation, player relationships, taxpayer fatigue). This inability had significant impact on an entire city. He put thousands of people out of work who provided the infrastructure required to support a local sports franchise and destroyed a unifying community identity built around the Sonics.

Don't get me wrong. I hated the Sonics. But I hate even more that I can't hate them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    As much as I'd love to mock you for this because politically you're a lunatic and personally you're a dick, I tend to agree with this line of thinking. His brief ownership of the Sonics shows that he can't be trusted. His time as the Sonics owner showed that he has no ability for soft politics (local political relationships, coalition building, fan appreciation, player relationships, taxpayer fatigue). This inability had significant impact on an entire city. He put thousands of people out of work who provided the infrastructure required to support a local sports franchise and destroyed a unifying community identity built around the Sonics.

Don't get me wrong. I hated the Sonics. But I hate even more that I can't hate them anymore.
    bitmoji-20190205071233.jpg

Default The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Yeah, maybe he should run as an independent... He could maybe turn Oklahoma into a swing state. I don't think they would vote for a Dem there but could be open to an independent.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 02-05-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Skateboard Jesus might officially be running for president!... Maybe he will drive his minivan to all 57 states.

Beto O'Rourke: "I'm thinking about running for president," decision by end of February

Beto O’Rourke said Tuesday he’s giving serious consideration to a run for president and he’ll make a decision by the end of Feburary.
    [...]
    http://www.fox4news.com/politics/bet...nd-of-february

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Based on 2016 data this analyst thinks that Shultz being in the race may actually hurt Trump more.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...trump-in-2016/

Based on 2016 data this analyst thinks that Shultz being in the race may actually hurt Trump more.

Interesting.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Yeah, that is what I am saying... http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1401901

Of course, to run as an independent doesn't he need something like 20% in the national polls?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!