The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    As was her treatment after. Don’t let the wackos who’ve threatened her off the hook Jeff.

Remember she choose to testify.
    How am I letting anyone off the hook?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Yeah, whatabout the wackos Jeff?
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        How am I letting anyone off the hook?
        You’re right I haven’t heard you absolve them, but I’ve only heard complaints about Feinstein etc. and not right wing message boards posting her address and info and her targeted harassment.

She made a choice she felt was an act of courage.

Tangential rant ahead:

This is not a shocker as one of the only progressives that posts on here but I didn’t think Kavanaugh was exonerated. His attempt at putting forward a puritanical and virginal imgage was ridiculous. The final FBI investigation, with the parameters dictated by McConnell was handcuffed in scope.

I think the timing and way Ford’s story came out was poor form but it wasn’t some grand conspiracy on the part of the democrats. They don’t have a roster of professional women from potentional scotus appointees’ pasts waiting to slander them,

Comment

You’re right I haven’t heard you absolve them, but I’ve only heard complaints about Feinstein etc. and not right wing message boards posting her address and info and her targeted harassment.

She made a choice she felt was an act of courage.
          Maybe you didn't follow it closely. She made a choice to remain anonymous and that choice was not honored when someone on Feinstein's staff leaked the information at the last minute. Commando is right. This will take a huge toll on her life. You can go ahead and call her courageous, but someone on the left pushed her into this by violating her privacy for political gain.

Of course there is harassment. That is happening to both Ford and Kavanaugh and their families. The whole thing was a huge mess.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Maybe you didn't follow it closely. She made a choice to remain anonymous and that choice was not honored when someone on Feinstein's staff leaked the information at the last minute. Commando is right. This will take a huge toll on her life. You can go ahead and call her courageous, but someone on the left pushed her into this by violating her privacy for political gain.

Of course there is harassment. That is happening to both Ford and Kavanaugh and their families. The whole thing was a huge mess.
            She didn't have to testify. She choose to do that, and that is courageous. I'm not sure why you downplay that as an act of courage. It seems she struggled with that decision.

Comment

She didn't have to testify. She choose to do that, and that is courageous. I'm not sure why you downplay that as an act of courage. It seems she struggled with that decision.
              Do you think it was worth the cost? Several lives were severely damaged, the country is more divided than ever, and Kavanagh was confirmed anyway.

Comment

Do you think it was worth the cost? Several lives were severely damaged, the country is more divided than ever, and Kavanagh was confirmed anyway.
                That's a question she has to answer.

Comment

• was the lewinsky investigation/impeachment worth the cost? answer is pretty clear to me
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    was the lewinsky investigation/impeachment worth the cost? answer is pretty clear to me
                    How else was Ken Starr going to get rid of that 5-year erection?
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      What did you expect would "happen to Ford?" I imagine like most victims of sexual assault (1/3 of women in the U.S. statistically) she will return to her regular life she had before she came forward to speak her piece. Except she had to move, change her phone number, etc to tamp down the steady stream death threats from the hardcore we're-with-Kav bros.

And I imagine that the "whole issue went down the memory hole" b/c Kav was confirmed anyway as though nothing had ever been said.
                      As important as it is to take any accusation seriously, I think the civil-rights-advocate-Commando would agree that the Trump-hating-Commando shouldn't just assume Kav is guilty without any evidence. Kavanaugh could just as easily be Brian Banks as he could be the real-life bad guy from a John Hughes movie. Guilty or innocent, I think the absence of evidence and the timing of the accusation
                      made Kavanaugh's confirmation important. Denying him confirmation would have sent the message that any man can be destroyed with little more than a well-timed accusation, and I don't think anyone wants to go there.

I know, I'm beating a dead horse, but calling Ford a victim based only on her testimony is setting a precedent I find to be particularly unsettling.

EDIT: And no, the Lewinsky affair wasn't worth it, nor was it within what should have been the scope of the investigation. Also, the way both Ford and Kavanaugh have been treated is disgraceful. Had to add, just in case someone wanted to trot out a strawman.
                      Last edited by cowboy; 10-21-2018, 05:45 PM.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Hillary Clinton says, 'I'd like to be president,' at NYC event

Hillary Clinton during an event Friday at the New York City's 92nd Street Y told the audience: “I’d like to be president.”

The comments come amid speculation whether the former Democratic presidential nominee would run again in the 2020 election. Clinton said she did not want to run again, but would not definitively rule it out either.

She said her eight years in the Senate and term as secretary of state under former President Barack Obama qualified her for the job.

But she insisted she would not consider a run until after the November midterm.
                        [...]
                        https://www.foxnews.com/politics/id-...illary-clinton

I would like her not to be president.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Listening to some of the talking heads at CNN and Fox, the Dem primaries could be even a bigger Charlie Foxtrot than the 2016 Repubs

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Good news, BK! Jeff Flake is floating the idea of running against Drumpf.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              If Flake or Sasse mounted a primary challenge, I would consider re-registering as a Republican.

Comment

• God help us all.

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/statu...186705408?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                X