No announcement yet.

The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would prefer Hillary over Sanders as well. And I know this isn't surprising, but I'll still vote for him or any other dem candidate over Trump. To me, Trump's destruction of normal political discourse and morality is a greater threat to the country than a swing leftward. Witness him today (and any day, really) publicly attacking a citizen because he thinks she can't do what apparently he can't; set aside political differences and serve on a jury/government position/whatever. What a terrible human being he is.
    Last edited by Northwestcoug; 02-20-2020, 02:03 PM.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      I would prefer Hillary over Sanders as well. And I know this isn't surprising, but I'll still vote for him or any other dem candidate over Trump. To me, Trump's destruction of normal political discourse and morality is a greater threat to the country than a swing leftward. Witness him today (and any day, really) publicly attacking a citizen because he thinks she can't do what apparently he can't; set aside political differences and serve on a jury/government position/whatever. What a terrible human being he is.
      I think after last night’s brawl decorousness is going to be less of an issue.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Bloomberg should have opted out last night because he's not on the Nevada ballot anyway. I don't think what happened hurts him as much as some might think though.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          I think after last night’s brawl decorousness is going to be less of an issue.
          I don't mind political mudslinging between opponents. It's the idea of a POTUS publicly attacking anyone 'underneath' him, private citizens or government employees, who dare to criticize 'his guys'. And attacking those who he thinks aren't sufficiently protective of his cronies. The constant lobs of treason and threats of lawsuits just wear you down.

If this level of demagoguery in the presidency isn't new, I'm all ears.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Bloomberg should have opted out last night because he's not on the Nevada ballot anyway. I don't think what happened hurts him as much as some might think though.
            He's fortunate there's another debate before Super Tuesday. I think the shit show and ganging up in him my mitigate harm. Also, this experience may help him in the next, more important debate.We'll see.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Ha. As much as I don't think Hillary had a great chance and how well aware I am of how she rates with Republicans, me being from Idaho and all, she is actually pretty GD qualified to be president and would have performed admirably as our top statesman and commander in chief.

I think somebody like Bernie Sanders, who does have very different ideas about how the country should be run, would also perform admirably as our top statesman and commander in chief. I have no reason to question his character or think he has any proclivities toward the kind of outward sophomorish behavior, lawlessness, cronyism, white nationalism, and disrespect we've had to swallow every day with this president. I'd vote for anybody going against Trump. I hope whomever comes out on top gets real debate prep and crushes that orange, bloated, syphilitic shithead in front of the entire world.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I don't mind political mudslinging between opponents. It's the idea of a POTUS publicly attacking anyone 'underneath' him, private citizens or government employees, who dare to criticize 'his guys'. And attacking those who he thinks aren't sufficiently protective of his cronies. The constant lobs of treason and threats of lawsuits just wear you down.

If this level of demagoguery in the presidency isn't new, I'm all ears.
                This is micky mouse compared to someone totally hostile to American traditions as Sanders is.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

This is micky mouse compared to someone totally hostile to American traditions as Sanders is.
                  OK Ezra
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

OK Ezra
                    Sanders thinks capitalism is a bad thing and Israel is evil.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Approval of the Soviet Union should only be about two disqualification notches below talking about how great Nazi Germany was.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Sanders thinks capitalism is a bad thing and Israel is evil.
                        Once upon a time, Trump supporters argued that his more idiotic aspects would be tempered because he'd be surrounded by good people. The best people. That those people could strengthen the areas where he would be cartoonishly ignorant.

How has that worked out?

At least with Sanders we have a better-than-even chance of regaining some normalcy. Is this good? Of course not. There is no good. It's what there is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                          Once upon a time, Trump supporters argued that his more idiotic aspects would be tempered because he'd be surrounded by good people. The best people. That those people could strengthen the areas where he would be cartoonishly ignorant.

How has that worked out?

At least with Sanders we have a better-than-even chance of regaining some normalcy. Is this good? Of course not. There is no good. It's what there is.
                          Spend some time listening to the spokespeople that the Sanders Campaign sends out on TV and I'd expect another four years of dopey dimwits in the seats of power.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Approval of the Soviet Union should only be about two disqualification notches below talking about how great Nazi Germany was.
                            Two notches below my ass. Soviet Union was every bit as bad as Nazi Germany. Stalin deliberately starved 7 million Ukrainians to advance collectivization. The Nazi-Soviet pact produced millions of mass murders and refugees. Stalin would have been happy to continue as Hitler's ally and divided up Eastern Europe had Hitler not got greedy. There were the mass political murders and gulags throughout the history of the Soviet Union. They crushed any rebellion among the Soviet Empire with an iron fist. There were no press freedoms, so they even tried to cover up something like Chernobyl, which exposed millions to high levels of radiation, etc. Even the best of intentions produced a dysfunctional economic system that caused untold misery and collapsed under its own weight in one of the greatest moments in history. We only excuse the Soviet Union because they were our allies (involuntarily) in WWII and the Nazi collectivization using race as the organizing principle rather than nationality and class is at least on the surface more palatable.

But not only has Sanders been a Soviet apologist, he was a Soviet apologist up to its collapse, long after he should have known better, for the human rights abuses if nothing else. He went on his honeymoon there and was a sychophant with the regime in 1987. And he has still not acknowledged he was wrong, or evil or stupid or whatever. It's intolerable. He can't even celebrate the end of the cold war as a triumph of good.
                            Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-20-2020, 04:10 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Sanders is so bad it is hard to believe that so many people are willing to consider him seriously. He is Trump level dumb with the added desire to destroy the economy. He has no idea how he is going to pay for anything (or even how many trillions his programs will cost) but justifies it all because we are one of the richest nations in the world, which is true, and his minions cheer all while ignoring that almost all of his social and economic plans are intended to replace the very engine that created such wealth. Moreover, he essentially wants to turn our military into a unicorn and daisy farm, so if you have been unhappy how Trump has treated our traditional security partners just wait until Sanders does more of the same AND eviscerates our ability to support them in the event of an actual threat.

I am going to be so angry if this clown is the democratic candidate. I am not on board with any of the democrats across each of their policy boards, but there are several of them who would be so easy to vote for compared to Trump. But Sanders? Are the democrats really that stupid? They are gifted one of the worst incumbents in American history, an imperial wannabe who spends more time tweeting than he does governing and the best option the democrats can proffer might be a geriatric communist with a bad heart who lauded the USSR for most of his life? Something is profoundly wrong with us.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

... And he has still not acknowledged he was wrong, or evil or stupid or whatever. It's intolerable.
                                Yeah. It would really suck to have a president in place that can't acknowledge when he is wrong, or evil or stupid or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X