Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Come on, people. The correct term is “shoo in”.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I hope that didn't phase you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post

I hope that didn't phase you.
    I am taking this post with a grain assault.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Didnt she basically launch her political career based on appointments that Brown gave her while they were schtooping? That's pretty weird.

No one thinks trump is a shoe-in. But the fact the slate of dem frontrunners provide trump any opening at all to get re-elected is telling. Any non-crazy person should demolish trump head to head, but the dems are countering trump's garbage with far left garbage.

I'm not a Kamala fan, but I doubt this revelation (people leveraging personal relationships to advance their careers, even with sex, is dog bites man territory). Certainly one of the opening salvos on this topic from the right is less than compelling, when one considers her would-be opponent in the final:

All the same, it's disgusting, and while Trump is no angel on the love front, at least he never offered sex for political favors, either to women or from women. He never cheated on someone's spouse to get himself some political power the way she did.
    So as long as it isn't for political advancement, no problem! Unless either Ron Jeremy or Charlie Sheen throws his hat in the ring, I can think of no one on the planet less suitable to challenge another's sexual behavior than our current President.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am taking this post with a grain assault.
    It's a working progress.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Didnt she basically launch her political career based on appointments that Brown gave her while they were schtooping? That's pretty weird.

No one thinks trump is a shoe-in. But the fact the slate of dem frontrunners provide trump any opening at all to get re-elected is telling. Any non-crazy person should demolish trump head to head, but the dems are countering trump's garbage with far left garbage.

Whomever is the democratic nominee will portrayed as "leftist." By the majority of GOP voters' standards they may well be, but it's hard to do worse than a racist, Russia-colluding, 24/7-lying, tantrum-having POTUS.

He will not "for sure win," as Cardiac stated.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 01-28-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Puh-lease Dems, grow a pair.

This is no time for Howard Schultz’s foolishness

Howard Schultz, the man who put a Starbucks on every corner, said in a “60 Minutes” interview aired Sunday that he is mulling a run for the White House as an independent. Schultz admits he’s “not the smartest person in the room,” but he must be smart enough to know he can’t possibly win.

He is quite capable of reelecting President Trump, though.

At present, the specter of a second Trump term looks comfortably remote. The blue wave in the midterm elections and Trump’s cellar-dwelling approval numbers show what the country thinks of him and his corrupt, chaotic, kooky administration. A recent poll shows him trailing any of his likely Democratic opponents. If the election were held next week, I’m pretty confident that Trump would lose to a ham sandwich.

He does have a chance in 2020, however, if the anti-Trump vote is split between two or more candidates. Imagine Schultz, a lifelong Democrat, siphoning off even 5 percent of the Democratic candidate’s vote in, say, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida. The horror of 2016 threatens to become a recurring nightmare.
    How about this? Nominate someone more centrist and acceptable to crossover Trump-hating Repubs.

Or, get ready, here it comes, you could just:

Write In Mitt!!!

150615081319-mitt-romney-super-169.jpg

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Whomever is the democratic nominee will portrayed as "leftist." By the majority of GOP voters' standards they may well be, but it's hard to do worse than a racist, Russia-colluding, 24/7-lying, tantrum-having POTUS.

He will not "for sure win," as Cardiac stated.
    Who is the non-leftist in the race who has a chance to win the nomination? There is Biden and............

When the early conversation centers around 80 percent marginal income tax rates, wealth taxes, and Medicare and free college tuition for all, the Democrat primary is not shaping up as a showcase of pragmatic center-left ideas.

I'm basically begging the dems to put up someone sane I can vote for. There are a lot of center-right voters in my shoes who feel the same way. But if things keep going as they are, we will be writing in a presidential candidate for the second straight election.

Who is the non-leftist in the race who has a chance to win the nomination? There is Biden and............

When the early conversation centers around 80 percent marginal income tax rates, wealth taxes, and Medicare and free college tuition for all, the Democrat primary is not shaping up as a showcase of pragmatic center-left ideas.

I'm basically begging the dems to put up someone sane I can vote for. There are a lot of center-right voters in my shoes who feel the same way. But if things keep going as they are, we will be writing in a presidential candidate for the second straight election.

If all the dem nominees are leftist, then Biden could very well get the nomination because all the lefties will cancel each other out. It would be the same thing Trump did. All the other 15 GOP candidates were all pretty much the same politically and Trump was the only one that was different.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Puh-lease Dems, grow a pair.

This is no time for Howard Schultz’s foolishness

How about this? Nominate someone more centrist and acceptable to crossover Trump-hating Repubs.

Or, get ready, here it comes, you could just:

Write In Mitt!!!

150615081319-mitt-romney-super-169.jpg

Mitt should primary Trump. In the meantime, we need him to do his Whitehorse Prophecy stuff from the senate.

I understand your position philosophically, but pragmatically speaking, Trump is unhealthy for the Republic. Almost anyone else would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I understand your position philosophically, but pragmatically speaking, Trump is unhealthy for the Republic. Almost anyone else would be better.
    I'm not so sure that a swing that big would be good.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Sorry BK... it doesn't look like Jeff Flake isn't going to run:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Dogcatcher, I actually laughed at that one.

Then I remembered that Trump also didn't win his home state. I laughed again.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Dogcatcher, I actually laughed at that one.

Then I remembered that Trump also didn't win his home state. I laughed again.
    I wonder if Drumpf considers his home state New York or Florida? For tax purposes I am guessing Florida.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I wonder if Drumpf considers his home state New York or Florida? For tax purposes I am guessing Florida.
    Maybe he doesn't pay taxes.

I'd STFU if I was Trump Jr. Flake bailed out his dad's last SCOTUS pick and really did nothing to stop the Trump agenda-- just gave the veneer of an objective critic within the party and legitimacy as opposed to all the pretending the Emperor has clothes that goes on these days...
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I'd STFU if I was Trump Jr. Flake bailed out his dad's last SCOTUS pick and really did nothing to stop the Trump agenda-- just gave the veneer of an objective critic within the party and legitimacy as opposed to all the pretending the Emperor has clothes that goes on these days...
    And he's not the only potential primary opponent anyway. I think someone will eventually challenge Trump from within the GOP. Will that person win? History says not. But history also says that incumbents who get a primary challenge usually lose the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Maybe he doesn't pay taxes.
    Maybe I need to look into this "The Art of the Deal" book.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Speaking of the SCOTUS... Have we seen RBG lately? I am getting worried about her.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Geez what a dirtbag. Funny you would relay that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Geez what a dirtbag. Funny you would relay that.
    Yeah, I thought that BK would want to know that Flake wasn't running for President... since he is a fan.

I didn't know that Commando wasn't a fan, however. Personally I like the new Jr Senator from AZ much better:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Good hell! Seriously? The people who did not get the appointments (assuming they did not sleep with Brown themselves) clearly have a discrimination claim.

After what has happened over the past several elections, I don't see why women candidates should be free from having their sexual escapades examined/discussed when they come to light. I'd rather not hear about it, but we live in a world where the Obama Campaign went nuts when Mitt mentioned "binders of women." This gold for the Dump.

The unique harm we cause when we dissect a powerful woman’s love life

Does it help your career, to date someone powerful? I’d assume so. Does it also help to play golf with someone powerful, or smoke cigars with someone powerful, or belong to Skull and Bones? I’d assume that, too. But for decades we’ve accepted those relationships — many of which benefited only men — as standard procedure for how executives and politicians get ahead. In August, ProPublica published a story about a trifecta of Mar-a-Lago members exerting influence over the Department of Veterans Affairs. None of them had military or government experience, but they did have long-standing acquaintanceships with the president.

Was Harris the only appropriate candidate for the commissions to which Brown appointed her? I don’t know.

I do know that by the time she met Brown, she’d already graduated from Howard University, where she’d been elected to the student government and the lauded debate team, and she’d already graduated from law school, and she was already working as a deputy district attorney in one of the most populous counties in the United States — and maybe, just maybe, she was already going places on her own?

He wasn’t her boss. The relationship was consensual. Dating a technically still-married man 30 years one’s senior might not be the relationship choice that most of us would make, but it’s understandable that smart government officials in San Francisco’s political scene would end up socializing with each other. Was Harris supposed to date only morons with whom she had nothing in common?
    What a dope.

Yeah, I thought that BK would want to know that Flake wasn't running for President... since he is a fan.
    Meh

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Meh
    Well, some fan you are.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Well, some fan you are.
    I like that he occasionally stood up to the worst of Trump. And I'd be glad if he got into Trump's way and mucked things up for him in a primary. But Flake not running for president is not that big of a deal.

Flake's a good guy but didn't have the political gravitas that McCain had to stick his finger in the GOP's eye once in a while. He would have liked to, but the GOP in Arizona has taken a turn for the crazy- his poll numbers were not looking good for the GOP primary since there was no shortage of Trump friendly GOPers ready to challenge him. They were all morons anyway (the field included Joe Arpaio- no joke) and got beat by the Democratic challenger, just like I predicted.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Flake's a good guy but didn't have the political gravitas that McCain had to stick his finger in the GOP's eye once in a while. He would have liked to, but the GOP in Arizona has taken a turn for the crazy- his poll numbers were not looking good for the GOP primary since there was no shortage of Trump friendly GOPers ready to challenge him. They were all morons anyway (the field included Joe Arpaio- no joke) and got beat by the Democratic challenger, just like I predicted.
    The response in Arizona to the GOP there going off the rails on a crazy train is that democrats are going to win more often.

I would think Ted would be most disappointed by Flake not running because the narrative going around in Trump cicrcles was that Flake was grandstanding because he wanted to run against Trump.

So, with Kamala Harris staying that she wants to force everyone into Medicare, I’m again left to wonder if I should vote for her or Trump should she get the nomination. What are the chances we end up with a Democrat that has at least some sense of centrality in their platform? Right now it seems they are all vying to be the most progressive candidate ever.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf