Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    This is very well don

Yep. That is a winning message. It's the approach the democrats have to take if they want to win.

It's interesting that he mentions home ownership in this video. Black home ownership has barely increased since 1960 prior to the civil rights movement.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/07/63249...rship-persists

https://www.shmoop.com/civil-rights-...tatistics.html

Comment

This is very well don

Agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        Yep. That is a winning message. It's the approach the democrats have to take if they want to win.

It's interesting that he mentions home ownership in this video. Black home ownership has barely increased since 1960 prior to the civil rights movement.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/07/63249...rship-persists

https://www.shmoop.com/civil-rights-...tatistics.html
        Booker might not be "progressive" enough for some of the party, but I think he could be a lot more unifying and better at getting out the vote through the entire party than one of the far lefties would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          Booker might not be "progressive" enough for some of the party, but I think he could be a lot more unifying and better at getting out the vote through the entire party than one of the far lefties would be.
          The more progressive wing does not like Booker.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            The more progressive wing does not like Booker.
            I know, but they would take him over Trump. And I think Booker would excite all demographic groups, including those who did show up to vote for Obama but didn't show up to vote last time, a lot more than say someone like Warren or Sanders would.

Comment

• Yeah that was a smart ad.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I actually think that ad panders too much on the race and social inequality issues. These are not the primary hangups for the swing voters the Dems need to sway, IMO.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I actually think that ad panders too much on the race and social inequality issues. These are not the primary hangups for the swing voters the Dems need to sway, IMO.
                  It works well for the first step of getting the nomination. One major reason Clinton lost is that she didn't get the same turnout that elected Obama twice. For the general he can edit it down to make it more general about unifying the country.

Comment

I actually think that ad panders too much on the race and social inequality issues. These are not the primary hangups for the swing voters the Dems need to sway, IMO.
                    Not to mention, he made his announcement on the first day of black history month... nice timing!
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      It works well for the first step of getting the nomination. One major reason Clinton lost is that she didn't get the same turnout that elected Obama twice. For the general he can edit it down to make it more general about unifying the country.
                      Clinton actually got more voter turn out than Obama in 2016 than he did in 2012... It was just not voters for her.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is very well don

Yes. It's the positive side/spin of identify politics. Same as MLK. Invoke American as the single most important tribal identity.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                          Yes. It's the positive side/spin of identify politics. Same as MLK. Invoke American as the single most important tribal identity.

It was much easier to sell the American tribal identity when we had the big bad commie Soviets to fight as the common enemy. There isn't that big threatening outside villain to unify us that there used to be. So it is much easier to vilify your pollical rival now.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                            It's interesting you said that. As I was listening, the thought occurred to me "Is this Booker's 'I have a dream' speech?"

There is some racial stuff there - but he also talks about jobs in every neighborhood - and I think was smart to include an image of a tractor in a field.

But we'll see how he does.

Comment

He's not going to make it out of the primary by running as a convservative. This ad's tone was positive.

Comment

• Just in time for black history month... articles about how Joe Biden (R) was an advocate for continued school segregation:

Joe Biden embraced segregation in 1975, claiming it was a matter of 'black pride'

Joe Biden, weighing a 2020 White House bid, once advocated continued school segregation in the United States, arguing that it benefited minorities and that integration would prevent black people from embracing “their own identity.”

Biden was speaking in 1975, when he opposed the federally mandated busing policy designed to end segregation in schools. In the past few decades, he has claimed he wanted desegregation but believed the policy of busing would not achieve it. Last year, he stated he had voted heroically to protect busing.
                                [...]
                                https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...f-black-pride?

In a crowded and diverse field of Democratic contenders, Joe Biden would have to run against his anti-integration past

• Former Vice President Joe Biden's record on racial justice is being re-examined as he considers running for president in 2020.
                                • Biden's mid-1970s crusade against busing as part of efforts to integrate America's schools has resurfaced.
                                • In a 1975 NPR interview, Biden contended busing was a "rejection of the whole movement of black pride.

[...]
                                https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-...ial-bid-2019-2
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X