The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Also, I love the Friedman quote on the morality between capitalism and politics. Pocahontas is no more moral than your average Wall Street banker. In fact, her desire for power is probably less moral than a bankers desire for money. I work with Wall Street bankers and I think it would shock some people as to how moral they really are.
    To clarify that wasnt a direct quote. It was what I remember from an interview of him I watched a while back. I should look it up and quote him directly because I'm sure he says it better than I remember it.

Comment

• I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure Milton Friedman gave the commencement address at my graduation. At least it was an old guy who looked like him. All you fanbois of him should know, the address was booooring.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

For obvious reasons, the wealth tax would be very difficult to implement and onerous to apply. It assumes that the Uber wealthy have their wealth in liquid assets that can easily converted to cash and paid to the government. Take for instance Jeff Bezos, I assume the majority of his wealth is in Amazon stock. It is what makes him wealthy, but holding that stock allows him certain rights as a large shareholder and also is part of why amazon is worth so much. If he has to start selling off 2% every year to pay this tax, his ownership percentage diminished and his influence on the company also diminishes, which could hurt the company as a whole. Also, large landowners aren’t sitting around on piles of cash. They have illiquid assets that they’d prefer not to divest to pay a tax. That’s why I think the estate tax is much better as it happens at the end of life instead of forcing divestitures during life.

Also, I love the Friedman quote on the morality between capitalism and politics. Pocahontas is no more moral than your average Wall Street banker. In fact, her desire for power is probably less moral than a bankers desire for money. I work with Wall Street bankers and I think it would shock some people as to how moral they really are.
        Yes, implementing a wealth tax would be VERY complicated and fraught with problems. The Bezos example is one. How about those whose wealth is tied up in assets other than freely tradable securities? How will those (antiques, art, unimproved real estate, etc.) be valued? Ask a dozen appraisers what an illiquid asset is worth and you'll get a dozen, often very different, examples. As with most attempts at tax reform, this would be a relief act for lawyers and accountants.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Yes, implementing a wealth tax would be VERY complicated and fraught with problems. The Bezos example is one. How about those whose wealth is tied up in assets other than freely tradable securities? How will those (antiques, art, unimproved real estate, etc.) be valued? Ask a dozen appraisers what an illiquid asset is worth and you'll get a dozen, often very different, examples. As with most attempts at tax reform, this would be a relief act for lawyers and accountants.
          Accountants. Pffffft.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Let's do it!
            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Accountants. Pffffft.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

For obvious reasons, the wealth tax would be very difficult to implement and onerous to apply. It assumes that the Uber wealthy have their wealth in liquid assets that can easily converted to cash and paid to the government. Take for instance Jeff Bezos, I assume the majority of his wealth is in Amazon stock. It is what makes him wealthy, but holding that stock allows him certain rights as a large shareholder and also is part of why amazon is worth so much. If he has to start selling off 2% every year to pay this tax, his ownership percentage diminished and his influence on the company also diminishes, which could hurt the company as a whole. Also, large landowners aren’t sitting around on piles of cash. They have illiquid assets that they’d prefer not to divest to pay a tax. That’s why I think the estate tax is much better as it happens at the end of life instead of forcing divestitures during life.

In both the case of Bezos and "large land owners" I don't see either of those things as necessarily a problem. Is diminishing Amazon's power in the marketplace a problem? How about forcing the Wilkes brothers to sell some of the Idaho backcountry that they own for no reason other than that they can?

https://boisedev.com/news/2019/06/24...-billionaires/

Your argument works at lower levels of wealth. Small businesses and farms shouldn't have to sell to satisfy a wealth tax. Maybe $50MM is too low. But when we're talking tens of billions and hundreds of billions, it's OK to force some hard decisions on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                it's OK to force some hard decisions on them.
                why
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Is diminishing Amazon's power in the marketplace a problem?
                  this is crazy of course that’s a problem. not just for bezos but for millions of stakeholders

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                  How about forcing the Wilkes brothers to sell some of the Idaho backcountry that they own for no reason other than that they can?
                  because that’s a good enough reason
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

In both the case of Bezos and "large land owners" I don't see either of those things as necessarily a problem. Is diminishing Amazon's power in the marketplace a problem? How about forcing the Wilkes brothers to sell some of the Idaho backcountry that they own for no reason other than that they can?

https://boisedev.com/news/2019/06/24...-billionaires/

Your argument works at lower levels of wealth. Small businesses and farms shouldn't have to sell to satisfy a wealth tax. Maybe $50MM is too low. But when we're talking tens of billions and hundreds of billions, it's OK to force some hard decisions on them.
                    For Bezos, I was making the point that he's not holding Amazon stock because it's worth a lot of money. It's worth a lot of money because he's holding a lot of Amazon stock.

Your Wilkes brothers example is a good example of the impossibility of applying a tax like this. Who gets to value the Idaho backcountry land? That's not an easy thing to do even when a transaction is happening.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Your Wilkes brothers example is a good example of the impossibility of applying a tax like this. Who gets to value the Idaho backcountry land? That's not an easy thing to do even when a transaction is happening.
                      Easy, they just bought it. So there's the value.

Comment

For Bezos, I was making the point that he's not holding Amazon stock because it's worth a lot of money. It's worth a lot of money because he's holding a lot of Amazon stock.
                        I think at this point Amazon is a beast that goes well beyond the value of having Bezos at the helm. The business model is set. The execution model is set. It really can't be stopped until Uncle Sam steps in.

Comment

• I think at this point Eastman Kodak Company is a beast that goes well beyond the value of having Eastman at the helm. The business model is set. The execution model is set. It really can't be stopped until Uncle Sam steps in.

I think at this point Sears Roebuck & Company is a beast that goes well beyond the value of having Sears at the helm. The business model is set. The execution model is set. It really can't be stopped until Uncle Sam steps in.

And on and on.

Comment

• Yes, let's force wealthy Americans to turn over a portion of their private property to the government each year. Or sell it to the Chinese and turn over the cash. What could go wrong?

This is an incredibly stupid idea.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Yes, let's force wealthy Americans to turn over a portion of their private property to the government each year. Or sell it to the Chinese and turn over the cash. What could go wrong?

This is an incredibly stupid idea.
                              That's exactly what we would expect from someone making welder money.

We need this new tax to ensure full employment for accountants.

P.S. I love that the suggested word on my phone after typing "welder" was "money".
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                                I think at this point Eastman Kodak Company is a beast that goes well beyond the value of having Eastman at the helm. The business model is set. The execution model is set. It really can't be stopped until Uncle Sam steps in.

I think at this point Sears Roebuck & Company is a beast that goes well beyond the value of having Sears at the helm. The business model is set. The execution model is set. It really can't be stopped until Uncle Sam steps in.

And on and on.
                                Ha ha. Those comparisons are not close to what Amazon has become.

Comment

Working...
                                X